VERY OFF TOPIC -

  • Don Wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 15, 2011
      I have a firm rule about sending this type of item. Perhaps rules are made
      to be broken or there is always an exception. As one of my pet peeves,
      especially seeing the oval stickers on so many BSA items, I made the
      exception and broken my own rule. If I have offended, please forgive me
      and DELETE NOW.

      Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition

      As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high
      gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced
      goods --merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American
      labor. Let us begin a new tradition this year. This year Americans will give
      the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an
      excuse that at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by
      American hands.

      Yes there is!

      It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit
      in a Chinese made shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping
      paper?

      Everyone -- well almost EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about a gift
      certificate from your local American hair salon or barber?

      Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about
      some health improvement.

      Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American
      owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate
      or a book of gift certificates.

      Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking
      down the Benjamin´s on a Chinese-made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful
      gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the
      summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

      There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift
      certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a
      half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't
      about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town
      Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

      How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or
      motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

      Children may be taking lessons of some kind from small businesses or
      wish they could. Gift certificates or checks to help with these costs would
      be great gifts. School age children may benefit from the services of a tutor
      in particular subjects.

      Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services
      of a local cleaning lady for a day.

      My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young
      guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

      OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people
      spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They also make jewelry,
      pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

      Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave
      your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at
      your hometown theatre.

      Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

      Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand
      Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights,
      about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks
      to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

      You see, Christmas should no longer be about draining American pockets
      so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas should be about
      celebrating the birth of Christ and caring about US, encouraging American
      small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when
      we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the
      benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

      Don Wilson

      www.rigidflexibility.com
    • Bill Nelson
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 15, 2011
        We are reviewing our course offering for our University of Scouting and are looking for popular classes that other councils offer that we might add to our schedule. Have you had success with your Univ of Scouting and what classes are the most attended that you offer?

      • The Rooneys
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 15, 2011
          1) Hug-a-Tree Presenter Training - see link here , talk to your local search and rescue teams, this is a great youth survival training and directly addresses various cub scout rank requirements. We have pilot tested this program in the Denver Area Council for several years, in such time presenting to both school audiences and scout units, reaching nearly 10,000 youth. (Now nearly 3,000 a year with 40+ presenters within the Council.)

          2) Cub Scout Pack Program Planning

          3) Cub Scout Outdoor Program Planning

          I have PPT materials for (2) and (3) if needed.

          ---
          Jim Rooney
          Training Chair, Pioneer Trails District, Denver Area Council
          (I used to be a Bobwhite..., and a Good Ol' Staffer too)

          We are reviewing our course offering for our University of Scouting and are looking for popular classes that other councils offer that we might add to our schedule. Have you had success with your Univ of Scouting and what classes are the most attended that you offer?

        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 15, 2011
            From the HOAC University on November 5 -
            In our Cub College:
            Let's Get Knotty
            Games, Games, Games
            Camping on a Shoestring
            In the Boy Scout College:
            The Patrol Method
            Eating in the Outdoors
            In the General Studies College:
            Wilderness First Aid (Capped at 15, first class to fill)
            The Wonders of Duck Tape
            Stormy Weather
            Survival Bracelets

            Judy Yeager

            On 11/15/2011 10:20 PM, Bill Nelson wrote:

            > We are reviewing our course offering for our University of Scouting
            > and are looking for popular classes that other councils offer that we
            > might add to our schedule. Have you had success with your Univ of
            > Scouting and what classes are the most attended that you offer?

          • A. Dukovic
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 15, 2011
              Please go to www.lbpuniv.org to see what Central Region is offering next year.  Our local council just did theirs and a few "hit" courses were Emergency Preparedness, Bullying, and Special Needs Scouting.

              - Art

            • Ty Roshdy
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 15, 2011
                Well put!!! Don't forget donations to our favorite charities i.e. your local
                council or unit.

                Yours in Scouting,

                Ty

                Ty Roshdy
                Council Leadership Training Committee Chair
                Golden Empire Council, BSA
                "A Vision of Excellence"

                ________________________________
                From: Don Wilson <don-wilson@...>
                To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com; OHC-TRAINING-BSA@egroups.com;
                tgentry@...; ssimpson@...; swilburn@...;
                sdaniel@...; slandreth5@...; pjodoherty@...;
                keith.huffstetler@...; daiseydearmin@...; gwhicks@...;
                Redrock438@...; christopher.hull@...; awebb@...

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 16, 2011
                  At the Westchester-Putnam Council's U of S on 11-5-11, the most popular
                  classes were:

                  Cub Scouting in the Outdoors
                  Box Ovens and Beyond
                  The Patrol Method
                  Life to Eagle
                  Advancement Program
                  The Scoutmaster Conference
                  Practical First Aid for Trail and Camping
                  Places to Go
                  GPS and Geocaching
                  Adult Leadership Selection and Succession Plan
                  Supporting Scouts with Learning Disabilities
                  Managing Volunteers

                  YiS,

                  Rich Perlman
                  CTC
                  WPC-BSA

                  On 11/15/2011 11:20 PM, Bill Nelson wrote:
                  > We are reviewing our course offering for our University of Scouting and are looking for popular classes that other councils offer that we might add to our schedule. Have you had success with your Univ of Scouting and what classes are the most attended that you offer?

                • ftooth
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 16, 2011
                    Just because you say "off topic" and "delete" if offended, the result is the same.  Most of us don't come to a Scout training discussion group to delete quasi-spam messages that we probably already received 12 times already.
                    Just my own "pet peeve"off-topic opinion
                    Frank

                  • Chip Coy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 16, 2011
                      Think about theory & hands on camp cooking classes. The local U of S has had dutch oven cooking for the last several years and it has been very popular (as in, they filled up first).

                      Ask around and see who has an unusual skill they would like to teach. A Flint Working class was offered last year where the attendees all made an arrowhead. It seemed to be the only class that had more stuff to carry than the Dutch Oven class (many many 5 gal buckets of rocks).

                      Those are the two that come to mind.

                      Chip.

                      On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Bill Nelson wrote:

                      > We are reviewing our course offering for our University of Scouting and are looking for popular classes that other councils offer that we might add to our schedule. Have you had success with your Univ of Scouting and what classes are the most attended that you offer?

                    • Candace Lewis
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 16, 2011
                        Webelos transition classes are popular where I am from and I agree the cooking classes are always popular. Is this just for Boy Scout or Cubs too. We have both at the same time and was just curious.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 16, 2011
                          Boy scouts and older. ---------- Sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

                          Webelos transition classes are popular where I am from and I agree the cooking classes are always popular. Is this just for Boy Scout or Cubs too. We have both at the same time and was just curious.

                          Think about theory & hands on camp cooking classes. The local U of S has had dutch oven cooking for the last several years and it has been very popular (as in, they filled up first).

                          Ask around and see who has an unusual skill they would like to teach. A Flint Working class was offered last year where the attendees all made an arrowhead. It seemed to be the only class that had more stuff to carry than the Dutch Oven class (many many 5 gal buckets of rocks).

                          Those are the two that come to mind.

                          Chip.

                          On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Bill Nelson wrote:

                          > We are reviewing our course offering for our University of Scouting and are looking for popular classes that other councils offer that we might add to our schedule. Have you had success with your Univ of Scouting and what classes are the most attended that you offer?

                        • Thomas Roberts
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 16, 2011
                            The Hudson Valley Council in NY did our UOS on 11/12/11.  We have tracks for Cub Leaders, Boy Scout Leaders, Commissioners, venturers (INtroduction to Leadership Skills for Crews) and we run a class for Den Chiefs.

                            Largest classes boy Scout leaders
                            Advancement for Boy Scouts, Survival, Service Projects and camping basics

                            For Cub Leaders
                            Cub Scout Outdoor Program, Campfire Program and Activities, Program Planning and Themes, Pinewood Derby Car Building and Whittlin' Chip, Community Service Projects for Cub Dens

                            Tom R

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 17, 2011
                              The post may be "Off Topic", but I found it to be On Target.
                              Thank you,
                              Burk
                              "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" Agatha
                              Heterodyne (Girl Genius)

                            • Rick T
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 17, 2011
                                If you don't like off topic posts why would you open it if it was clearly titled "VERY OFF TOPIC", just ignore it and move on.

                                In today's world tolerance is in short supply. Tolerance is a virtue I try to instill in all our Scouts and a good dose would do most of us some good. This upcoming time of year is a good time to remember it.

                                Richard Taylor,
                                San Lorenzo, CA

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, ftooth <ftooth@...> wrote:

                                > Just because you say "off topic" and "delete" if offended, the result is the same.  Most of us don't come to a Scout training discussion group to delete quasi-spam messages that we probably already received 12 times already.
                                > Just my own "pet peeve"off-topic opinion
                                > Frank
                                >

                                > >________________________________

                              • Willis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 17, 2011
                                  Beef up your offerings for Venturing LEADERS! Often you'll find an ILSC
                                  (formerly VLSC) and the VSLT for the leaders, but many folks dont have
                                  what i'd call a 'robust' offering for Venturers....more focus on Cubs
                                  and Boys. KYou could offer a Kodiak Course Directors Conference (full
                                  day) and im not in this council, but check out some of the Circle 10
                                  course descriptions for Venturing Leaders:

                                  College of Venturing Courses

                                  VEN701 Venturing Leaders Specific Training (VLST): Required
                                  leader-specific training for all contact adults in Venturing. (6 hours)

                                  VEN702 When Eve Hits the Trail: Thoughts and advice for all women
                                  contemplating Philmont treks or any high adventure trek. NOTE: Class is
                                  restricted to female participants only.

                                  VEN703 Overview of ILSC: Overview of the new training course,
                                  "Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews", for Venturing youth.

                                  VEN704 American Heritage Girls and the BSA: The Boy Scouts of America
                                  and the American Heritage Girls have signed a Memorandum of Mutual
                                  Support, and many BSA councils are now working with local AHG
                                  communities and areas to conduct joint activities, training, recruiting,
                                  and more. AHG is for girls 5-18. Overview of the AHG program and its
                                  partnership with BSA and Venturing.

                                  VEN705 Sea Scout Adult Basic Training: Required leader specific training
                                  for all contact adults in Sea Scouts. (3 hours)

                                  VEN706 SCUBA for your Crew and Troop: Overview of the SCUBA program,
                                  equipment and where to go from the experts.

                                  VEN707 Canoes and Kayaks for Venturers: Everything about canoes and
                                  kayaks from the experts.

                                  VEN708 Venturing Shooting Sports: Overview of the unique shooting sports
                                  opportunities for Venturing.

                                  VEN709 Outdoor Leadership for Crews and Troops: Information from the AMC
                                  Guide to Outdoor Leadership by Alex Kosseff. Includes trip planning,
                                  group dynamics, decision making, leading youth, risk management and
                                  addresses issues important
                                  to trek leaders in any high adventure trek. (3 hours)

                                  VEN710 What is Powderhorn?: Overview of Powderhorn and its goals and
                                  objectives.

                                  VEN711 Issues Facing Coed Crews: Co-ed crews are unique to Scouting. We
                                  will identify and discuss potential issues.

                                  VEN712 Venturing for Troops - Crew Troop Relations: How Venturing can
                                  supplement and compliment your Troop. After all, the goal is to keep
                                  youth engaged in Scouting longer.

                                  VEN713 Starting New Venturing Crews: Everything you need to know to get
                                  your crew going.

                                  VEN714 Successful New Venturing Officers Seminar: You have a new crew
                                  and new crew officers, let's get them trained. Case study of a local
                                  crew's successful officer training program.

                                  VEN715 Principles of Servant Leadership for Crews: Discussion of
                                  principles of servant leadership in a Crew using the Greenleaf
                                  principles.

                                  VEN716 Land Navigation for Venturers: Overview of GPS and how it works.

                                  VEN717 Facebook and Scouting: Bring your laptop and be ready to build
                                  your Troop/Crew Facebook page. Discussion of the BSA rules applicable to
                                  Facebook. (2 hours)

                                  VEN718 Caving for Crews and Troops: What you need to know as an advisor
                                  for taking your Crew/Troop on a caving expedition in Texas.

                                  VEN719 The Ranger Award: Discussion of the Ranger Award which is the
                                  pivotal outdoor skills training award that defines Venturing. Includes
                                  discussion of the core requirements and electives. (2 hours)

                                • tttrack@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 17, 2011
                                    You and I agree.

                                    Tom Travis
                                    Old Hickory Council

                                    --- In _scouter_t@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com) ,

                                    _OHC-TRAINING-BSA@egroups.com_ (mailto:OHC-TRAINING-BSA@egroups.com) ;
> [...]
                                    > >
                                    > >Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand
                                    > >Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of
                                    lights,
                                    > >about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of
                                    bucks
                                    > >to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.
                                    > >
                                    > >You see, Christmas should no longer be about draining American pockets
                                    > >so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas should be
                                    about
                                    > >celebrating the birth of Christ and caring about US, encouraging
                                    American
                                    > >small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And,
                                    when
                                    > >we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the
                                    > >benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

                                  • Glen Hoshizaki
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 17, 2011
                                      It’s not that big a deal. It’s just part of internet mailing list etiquette
                                      that participants stay on topic. It was a bigger deal in the old days before
                                      broadband, and even now on the Scouts-L list there is an absolute limit of
                                      50 messages a day.

                                      Besides, for us scouting addicts it’s hard to resist reading each message. J

                                      ftooth <ftooth@...> wrote:

                                      > Just because you say "off topic" and "delete" if offended, the result is
                                      the same. Most of us don't come to a Scout training discussion group to
                                      delete quasi-spam messages that we probably already received 12 times
                                      already.
                                      > Just my own "pet peeve"off-topic opinion
                                      > Frank

                                    • Herb
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 19, 2011
                                        Quit yer whining. How dare you assume what other people do and cast your perception of how you think things should be. Did you ever think that the people making things for us would be far worse off without us buying the items. Food is rotting in the fields because farmers can't find enough legal residents willing to earn $100/day picking cuz its to much work.
                                        btw if you have a car maybe you should get rid of that since you are sending most of our money to the Middle East, not China.

                                        We import 364 billion in goods from china per year. We import 10 billion barrels of oil per day @ $100/barrel

                                      • Mark Maranto
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 19, 2011
                                          All,

                                          I think we all need to get back on task! Let talk about what would be a good gift for a seasoned scout thi holiday season.

                                          Mark M.
                                          Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�
                                        • Herb
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 19, 2011
                                            Mark
                                            I found this list with a search and edited it for my troop.
                                            www.lehigh.edu/~wsm0/T242/t242gift_bsa.doc

                                            hd