Scout training urban myths (was IOLS)

  • Mark Liechty
    Message 1 of 88 , Nov 6, 2011
      On Nov 6, 2011, at 3:15 PM, Chip Coy wrote:

      > Fair point, although calling it LYING when it is, verbatim, what I've been told by people in my council offices is a bit much.
      >
      > I will say to people "As far as I know, making a claim under the BSA insurance policy is much simpler if you are operating under a tour plan or participating in a district, council or national event". I am not a lawyer or an insurance agent so should not claim to interpret the BSA insurance policy.
      > ##############

      Chip:
      You and I and all of the other trainers offer our time and services for free ... well that is not true since we all PAY TO DO THIS!!!!! While today it looks like I am a pest I am a very very strong supporter of putting on quality training.

      That said we have an obligation to share and spread the most accurate of possible information. I am deeply offended to hear SCOUTERS that I have a lot of respect for LIE to people when they talk about mandatory training and the myths conveyed from one person to another.

      Tour permits or plans or whatever they are called serve a valuable purpose. It serves as a good checkpoint to be sure your drivers are insured. It can be useful as a checklist for that new Scout leader. Maybe it is even good for those trips that are borderline Scouting and borderline church\family.

      But to bring out the "lawsuit = BSA insurance" type claims is just not good, right or honest.

      Yes, many on this list say these things cause that is what they are told. Now that they know what they have been told is not correct.

      My friend Don Roberts put together an outstanding list of such urban myths and it should be REQUIRED reading for all trainers.

      After all, for those in our charge we are the Authority and Every Adult deserves a trained trainer.

      http://inquiry.net/adult/trainer/urban_legends.htm
    • troutman211
      Message 88 of 88 , Nov 10, 2011
        Wouldn't have made a difference. Scoutmaster *specific* training is
        leadership training, not how to navigate using a map and compass. Intro to
        Outdoor Leadership Skills (OLS) has roughly 80 minutes allotted to "Finding
        Your Way - Map and Compass Reading". While not all-encompassing (pardon the
        pun) by any means, even that minimal training should provide the know-how to
        at least locate defining geography and march in a particular general
        direction.

        Another question about this news story: Where was the 2-deep leadership?

        Lots of unanswered questions about this story (e.g. had the SM actually
        attended training, was he a brand new SM, is the news story reporting this
        correctly or was the adult in question actually one of a myriad number of
        ASM's in that Troop, where was the 2-deep leadership, etc.).

        Not sure a single example is indicative of the whole. If my son were hiking
        I'd still rather he was with BSA trained adults as opposed to not.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Gene Travers
        Unit Commissioner, Palisades District
        Blue Grass Council
        Scribe, S6-204-2011-1
        Troop Guide, SR-1061
        Owl Patrol SR-870, "...and a good old Owl, too..."