Re: Testing out of IOLS

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 88 , Nov 6, 2011
      They don't provide details. I would like to know, if possible, exactly how people test people out (those who do)

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:

      > The new BSA Fall 2011 Training Times newsletter has some information on the topic of testing out of outdoor training under the topic of Outdoor Training Update. You can access the training newsletter at:
      >
      > http://scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/The_Training_Times_Fall_2011.pdf
      >

      > >________________________________

    • troutman211
      Message 88 of 88 , Nov 10, 2011
        Wouldn't have made a difference. Scoutmaster *specific* training is
        leadership training, not how to navigate using a map and compass. Intro to
        Outdoor Leadership Skills (OLS) has roughly 80 minutes allotted to "Finding
        Your Way - Map and Compass Reading". While not all-encompassing (pardon the
        pun) by any means, even that minimal training should provide the know-how to
        at least locate defining geography and march in a particular general
        direction.

        Another question about this news story: Where was the 2-deep leadership?

        Lots of unanswered questions about this story (e.g. had the SM actually
        attended training, was he a brand new SM, is the news story reporting this
        correctly or was the adult in question actually one of a myriad number of
        ASM's in that Troop, where was the 2-deep leadership, etc.).

        Not sure a single example is indicative of the whole. If my son were hiking
        I'd still rather he was with BSA trained adults as opposed to not.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Gene Travers
        Unit Commissioner, Palisades District
        Blue Grass Council
        Scribe, S6-204-2011-1
        Troop Guide, SR-1061
        Owl Patrol SR-870, "...and a good old Owl, too..."