Re: Cub Scout Uniforms optional

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
      The fact that uniforms are encouraged by not mandatory is can also be seen in the updated rules for Boy Scout Boards of Review in updated publication 33088, Guide to Advancement, available at www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

      8.0.0.4 Wearing the Uniform—or Neat in Appearance
      It is preferred a Scout be in full fi eld uniform for any
      board of review. He should wear as much of it as he
      owns, and it should be as correct as possible, with the
      badges worn properly. It may be the uniform as the
      members of his troop, team, crew, or ship wear it.
      If wearing all or part of the uniform is impractical for
      whatever reason, the candidate should be clean and
      neat in his appearance and dressed appropriately,
      according to his means, for the milestone marked by
      the occasion. Regardless of unit expectations or rules,
      boards of review may not reject candidates dressed to
      this description; neither may they require the purchase
      of uniforming, or clothing such as coats and ties.

      There are many other sections that also address the uniform at all levels of Scouting. As noted, the are a method scouting, they are highly encouraged (and I agree units should help Scouts acquire them as necessary), but they are not mandatory
      Bill Nelson in VA

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "gerrymoon32817" <gerrymoon32817@...> wrote [partial edited answer}

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "danielgrummert" <dangrummert@> wrote:

      > > I was taught that Cub Scout uniforms were optional and Boy Scout Uniforms were required. Is this correct? Any "offical" references to back either position up?
      > > Dan

    • Chip Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
        Scouting organizations may not discriminate against scouts who do not have the means to purchase uniforms (see quote below from the end of the regulation cited earlier).

        One key question here is: if the scout has the means to purchase or other access to uniform (provided by unit, district or council for example) but chooses not to wear then uniform how should this affect the scout's advancement?

        Lacking means to buy a uniform is different than rejecting this part of the scouting method (refusing to wear the uniform).

        Chip.