Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Den Chief Log Sheet

  • Mark Liechty
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
      On Nov 3, 2011, at 9:53 AM, eaglemom53 wrote:

      > Connie, I don't see how you can make a boy earn the DC award since it requires a year of service, and ranks only require 4 or 6 months leadership. Seems like you are adding to the rank requirements.
      #######

      I think it depends on when the troop set the expectation for the DC award. If the award was set before the Scout needed the time to count then everyone went in eyes wide open and there is no problem.

      Like most of the "adding to the requirements" battles if everyone is playing fair and with some sense of balance then there will not be a problem. The minute people start trying to use the "rules" as a set of weapons bad things happen.

      Since almost all Den Chiefs are under 14 (I know there are exceptions) this does not sound like a problem. Even more important, if the Scout becomes a Den Chief ONLY to focus on rank advancement for himself it is likely he is not really doing a good job or caring and therefore will have Scout Spirit issues.

      On the other hand if the SM is really making up rules on the fly then that is a totally different story. SM should be removed from Scouting and the troop folded with any decent scouts moved to other units.