Re: Den Chief Log Sheet

  • eaglemom53
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
      Connie, I don't see how you can make a boy earn the DC award since it requires a year of service, and ranks only require 4 or 6 months leadership. Seems like you are adding to the rank requirements.

      Lucinda

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
        Ok just clarified with the SM (also my hubby)....he said that what he does is to have the scout work towards the award and at the end of the 6 months he uses what they have filled out in the back of the book in his discussion when the scout comes to him to sign off for leadership. He uses the requirements the scout has checked as a basis to see what the scout has learned from this experience and how he feels he has grown as a leader. He says he found in the past that if he didn't have the scout record something they just sort of stared at him when he asked them to talk about what they did.........that is when he discovered the award and so killed two birds with one stone so to speak.  What he does as far as the year commitment is to strongly encourage the scout not to take the position unless they can commit for a year as it leaves a den hanging after only 6 months as well as the fact that it is just responsible leadership to do so. But it does not
        disqualify the scout from using the DC position toward rank if he cannot..........

        Sorry abou that. Should have asked the details first...............

        Connie

        --- On Thu, 11/3/11, eaglemom53 <eaglemom53@...> wrote:
        Connie, I don't see how you can make a boy earn the DC award since it requires a year of service, and ranks only require 4 or 6 months leadership.  Seems like you are adding to the rank requirements.

        Lucinda

      • Mark Liechty
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
          On Nov 3, 2011, at 9:53 AM, eaglemom53 wrote:

          > Connie, I don't see how you can make a boy earn the DC award since it requires a year of service, and ranks only require 4 or 6 months leadership. Seems like you are adding to the rank requirements.
          #######

          I think it depends on when the troop set the expectation for the DC award. If the award was set before the Scout needed the time to count then everyone went in eyes wide open and there is no problem.

          Like most of the "adding to the requirements" battles if everyone is playing fair and with some sense of balance then there will not be a problem. The minute people start trying to use the "rules" as a set of weapons bad things happen.

          Since almost all Den Chiefs are under 14 (I know there are exceptions) this does not sound like a problem. Even more important, if the Scout becomes a Den Chief ONLY to focus on rank advancement for himself it is likely he is not really doing a good job or caring and therefore will have Scout Spirit issues.

          On the other hand if the SM is really making up rules on the fly then that is a totally different story. SM should be removed from Scouting and the troop folded with any decent scouts moved to other units.
        • Lisa Titus
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
            Sounds much more reasonable. PLUS, the boy may find that being a Den
            Chief is just not for him. (Or the den leader may recognize that)