New Eagle Scout Project Workbook

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2011
      I just sent the following out to my district:

      From the BSA National Website, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources.aspx :

      ------------------------------
      "Attention Scouts, Leaders, and Parents or Guardians
      "Eagle Scout rank requirement 5 has been reworded. To support that change, a new Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook has been created. Through Dec. 31, 2011, Scouts have a choice to use either the new workbook or the one it is replacing. Scouts whose Eagle Scout service project has already been approved by the council or district under the former wording of requirement 5�and using the former workbook�should continue with the same workbook. If their project has not yet been approved by the council or district, they may elect to use the revised requirement 5 and the new workbook. Starting Jan. 1, 2012, Eagle Scout candidates�unless they have already submitted a plan for approval by the council or district under the former requirement�will be expected to fulfill the revised service project requirement 5 using the new workbook."
      ------------------------------

      The wording changes to Requirement 5 are shown below in bold:

      Old Requirement 5:
      While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project
      helpful to your religious institution, school, or your community. (The project
      should benefit an organization other than the BSA.) The project plan must be
      approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your unit leader
      (Scoutmaster, Varsity Scout Coach, Venturing crew Advisor),
      unit committee, and by the council or district advancement committee before you start.
      You must use this Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook (No. 512-927
      or its online equivalent on the National Eagle Scout Association�s Web site,
      http://www.NESA.org) in meeting this requirement.

      New Requirement 5:
      While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project
      helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. (The project
      must benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) A project proposal must be
      approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your unit leader
      and unit committee, and the council or district before you start.
      You must use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook, No. 512-927,
      in meeting this requirement.

      You can find the Old and New Workbooks at the links below.

      OLD Workbook -- http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-927.pdf (The cover has the Scout Sign and a picture of a saluting Scout.)

      NEW Workbook -- http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-927_fillable.pdf (The cover has the Eagle medal and does NOT include the word "Leadership" in the title.)