Re: [Scouter_T] training expirations

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2011
      Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to
      be valid:

      * Youth Protection---every two years
      * National Camping School---good for five camping seasons
      * Safe Swim Defense---every two years
      * Paddle Craft Safety---every three years
      * Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescue---every three years
      * BSA Lifeguard---every three years
      * Visitation training---every two years
      * Lead Climbing Instructor---every five years
      * Climbing Instructor---every two years
      * COPE/Climbing Inspector---every two years
      * Safety Afloat---every two years
      * Chain Saw Safety---every two years
      * Trainer's EDGE---every three years
      * Hazardous Weather---every two years
      * Physical Wellness---every two years
      * Climb On Safely---every two years
      * Trek Safely---every two years

      On 10/27/2011 11:23 AM, scoutdad217 wrote:
      > Greetings All,
      >
      > I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, I tried searching the archives and could not find it.
      >
      > Is there a summary page of some kind that lists the BSA trainings that have expiration dates?
      >
      > For example, I believe YPT expires after two years and I know that Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat and Weather Hazards all expire at some point but I am not sure and the dates for each.
      >
      > Also, are there other trainings besides these with hard expiration dates other than just obsolescence for really old courses?
      >

      > Thanks,
      > Greg Brown
      > I used to be a Beaver ...
      > WE-4-39-2-08

    • Chris Pearson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2011
        What about leave no trace training?

        On Oct 27, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Richard Perlman <richard@...> wrote:

        > Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to
        > be valid:
        >
        > * Youth Protection---every two years
        > * National Camping School---good for five camping seasons
        > * Safe Swim Defense---every two years
        > * Paddle Craft Safety---every three years
        > * Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescue---every three years
        > * BSA Lifeguard---every three years
        > * Visitation training---every two years
        > * Lead Climbing Instructor---every five years
        > * Climbing Instructor---every two years
        > * COPE/Climbing Inspector---every two years
        > * Safety Afloat---every two years
        > * Chain Saw Safety---every two years
        > * Trainer's EDGE---every three years
        > * Hazardous Weather---every two years
        > * Physical Wellness---every two years
        > * Climb On Safely---every two years
        > * Trek Safely---every two years
        >
        > On 10/27/2011 11:23 AM, scoutdad217 wrote:
        > > Greetings All,
        > >
        > > I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, I tried searching the archives and could not find it.
        > >
        > > Is there a summary page of some kind that lists the BSA trainings that have expiration dates?
        > >
        > > For example, I believe YPT expires after two years and I know that Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat and Weather Hazards all expire at some point but I am not sure and the dates for each.
        > >
        > > Also, are there other trainings besides these with hard expiration dates other than just obsolescence for really old courses?
        > >

        > > Thanks,
        > > Greg Brown
        > > I used to be a Beaver ...
        > > WE-4-39-2-08

      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 27, 2011
          Isn't that training is certified by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor
          Ethics rather than the BSA? (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)
          Similarly, CPR and Wilderness First Aid expire but they not our courses
          either.

          Teresa

          On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Chris Pearson <
          ChristopherCPearson@...> wrote:

          > What about leave no trace training?
          >

          > On Oct 27, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Richard Perlman <
          > richard@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to
          > > be valid:
          > >
          > > * Youth Protection---every two years
          > > * National Camping School---good for five camping seasons
          > > * Safe Swim Defense---every two years
          > > * Paddle Craft Safety---every three years
          > > * Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescue---every three years
          > > * BSA Lifeguard---every three years
          > > * Visitation training---every two years
          > > * Lead Climbing Instructor---every five years
          > > * Climbing Instructor---every two years
          > > * COPE/Climbing Inspector---every two years
          > > * Safety Afloat---every two years
          > > * Chain Saw Safety---every two years
          > > * Trainer's EDGE---every three years
          > > * Hazardous Weather---every two years
          > > * Physical Wellness---every two years
          > > * Climb On Safely---every two years
          > > * Trek Safely---every two years
          > >
          > > On 10/27/2011 11:23 AM, scoutdad217 wrote:
          > > > Greetings All,
          > > >
          > > > I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, I
          > tried searching the archives and could not find it.
          > > >
          > > > Is there a summary page of some kind that lists the BSA trainings that
          > have expiration dates?
          > > >
          > > > For example, I believe YPT expires after two years and I know that Safe
          > Swim Defense, Safety Afloat and Weather Hazards all expire at some point but
          > I am not sure and the dates for each.
          > > >
          > > > Also, are there other trainings besides these with hard expiration
          > dates other than just obsolescence for really old courses?
          > > >

          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Greg Brown
          > > > I used to be a Beaver ...
          > > > WE-4-39-2-08

        • Chris Pearson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 27, 2011
            Thanks Teresa!

            Walking Softly,
            Chris Pearson
            Trainer/Consultant
            Pearson Outdoor Education
            www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
            (425) 686-9175

          • fred-scouts@skrotzki.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2011
              Correct Leave No Trace training and certification is done by the Leave No
              Trace Organization. A LNT trainer is a trainer for life, same for an adult
              Master LNT Trainer who is certified to trainer other LNT trainers.

              As a LNT trainer it is our job to provide training to those asking/looking
              for it and we are also members of LNT.org where they have a whole
              organization and site setup to help support us and keep current the any
              needed changes.

              If you have boys that are LNT trained the best thing to do is get them out
              and help support them in providing training to other youth (be it scouts or
              otherwise). In the unit I belong in we have three youth trainers. Due to
              them going out and presenting training to others we have even picked up new
              members for our troop because of it.

              _____

              ChristopherCPearson@... <mailto:ChristopherCPearson%40gmail.com> >