RE: [Scouter_T] Re: New CPR Technique

  • Hotmail Rod
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
      I am a Red Cross Instructor and I am an Authorized Provider for our local council which means that I can teach the classes at a significantly lower price. The Red Cross has restructured their Health and Safety group and with these changes have made all of the materials available on line at no charge. Now you do not need the material. They have even done away with the written test if the instructor feels that the class has demonstrated the skills effectively

      Rod

      From: Chris Pearson <ChristopherCPearson@...>
      To: "scouter_t@yahoogroups.com" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, October 10, 2011, 1:01 PM

      As a firefighter/emt, and a first aid/CPR instructor, I would urge that keeping yourself updated is great, but that only qualified professionals should actually be teaching these skills. And there are plenty of us who do this for free :)

      Walking Softly,
      Chris Pearson
      Trainer/Consultant
      Pearson Outdoor Education
      www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
      (425) 686-9175

      On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:14 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

      > Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?
      >
      > Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin??? This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.
      >
      > Food for thought???
      >

      > - Art

    • A. Dukovic
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
        Rod, thanks for the update and I'm really glad they made the changes; we've had an awful lot of folks that just could NOT afford it and this will certainly help!!

        - Art
        I am a Red Cross Instructor and I am an Authorized Provider for our local council which means that I can teach the classes at a significantly lower price. The Red Cross has restructured their Health and Safety group and with these changes have made all of the materials available on line at no charge. Now you do not need the material. They have even done away with the written test if the instructor feels that the class has demonstrated the skills effectively

        Rod

        Understood, but some councils/camps require the Red Cross "certification" and if ya want that card, ya gotta pay for the books and course fees to be "legal"; as a retired police officer, I taught this stuff too but again, if Red Cross was going to "bless" my training, ya had to use THEIR materials which were pretty expensive.

        Lifesaving is one thing, but if it's NOT BSA approved, then you're on your own IF there's a problem; now if it was me and I had a problem, I don't care what saved my life as long as it works, but not everyone's like me folks??

        - Art
        As a firefighter/emt, and a first aid/CPR instructor, I would urge that keeping yourself updated is great, but that only qualified professionals should actually be teaching these skills. And there are plenty of us who do this for free :)

        Walking Softly,
        Chris Pearson
        Trainer/Consultant
        Pearson Outdoor Education
        www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
        (425) 686-9175

        On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:14 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

        > Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?
        >
        > Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin??? This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.
        >
        > Food for thought???
        >

        > - Art

      • Glen Hoshizaki
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 15, 2011
          Hmmm…

          I’m not sure I agree 100% with your statement that “only qualified professionals” should be teaching CPR. As a first aid merit badge instructor I certainly see a lot of cringe-worthy misinformation pass from scout to scout, making my job more interesting. Nevertheless, I like how Scouting has scouts teach each other, and that includes CPR.

          Of course, a good instructor can make a world of difference, but a motivated self-directed learner can accomplish a lot. And the combination of the two? Well…

          Glen

          American Heart Association Basic Life Support instructor and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support instructor