New Eagle Project Workbook was: Introducing the Guide to Advancement

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 9, 2011
      Info from an advancement newsletter that came out Friday:

      The new workbook as a illable PDF document will be available shortly at
      http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources.aspx. Like the Guide to Advancement, it has been completely
      rewritten. The new workbook supports the revised wording in Eagle Scout requirement 5, which calls for a project proposal to be approved by the council or district, rather than "the project plan."
      Scouts have a choice to use either the new workbook or the one it is replacing. If they have already had their Eagle Scout service project approved by the council or district under the current wording of requirement 5, using the current workbook, they should continue with
      the same workbook. If their project has not yet been approved by the council or district, they may elect to use the new wording and the new workbook. For Scouts who choose to use the new workbook, those approving Eagle Scout service projects must evaluate projects accordingly, using the procedures outlined in the Guide to Advancement, and judging candidates' project proposals.

      Those responsible for council or district project approval do not have the authority to require use of the previous workbook edition if Scouts have elected to use the new requirement and the new workbook.
      We are aware of issues some Eagle Scout candidates have encountered using fillable PDF workbooks. Though we have taken some measures to improve the fillable PDF, some may still experience difficulties with it. As a solution, we are currently working toward a new approach to the workbook that may involve an online, interactive, downloadable application. If testing proves it to be a superior document, fully functional on virtually any operating system, we will abandon the fillable PDF version. Regardless, the workbook will continue to be
      available for printing a hard copy that can be completed by hand or with a typewriter.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote:

      > Thanks so much for this. Being the RT commissioner, I love getting info I can send out to my Scoutmasters.
      > Quick question, what about a scout that starts the process in the fall and will not be finished until after January? I suppose the answer is easy enough, make sure he starts in the new book. But what with the speed word gets handed down from alot of Council Advancement Committees (NOT).
      > Or a scout that started even further back......you know how sometimes a scout starts the process and then for some reason there is a long stall...........
      > Thanks
      >
      > Connie
    • Ben Ward
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 9, 2011
        What is this advancement newsletter are ya'll talking about and what website can this be found on?

        Yours in Scouting,

        Ben Ward

        Eagle Scout Class 1999
        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

        ________________________________
        Info from an advancement newsletter that came out Friday:

        The new workbook as a illable PDF document will be available shortly at
        http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources.aspx. Like the Guide to Advancement, it has been completely
        rewritten. The new workbook supports the revised wording in Eagle Scout requirement 5, which calls for a project proposal to be approved by the council or district, rather than "the project plan."
        Scouts have a choice to use either the new workbook or the one it is replacing. If they have already had their Eagle Scout service project approved by the council or district under the current wording of requirement 5, using the current workbook, they should continue with
        the same workbook. If their project has not yet been approved by the council or district, they may elect to use the new wording and the new workbook. For Scouts who choose to use the new workbook, those approving Eagle Scout service projects must evaluate projects accordingly, using the procedures outlined in the Guide to Advancement, and judging candidates' project proposals.

        Those responsible for council or district project approval do not have the authority to require use of the previous workbook edition if Scouts have elected to use the new requirement and the new workbook.
        We are aware of issues some Eagle Scout candidates have encountered using fillable PDF workbooks. Though we have taken some measures to improve the fillable PDF, some may still experience difficulties with it. As a solution, we are currently working toward a new approach to the workbook that may involve an online, interactive, downloadable application. If testing proves it to be a superior document, fully functional on virtually any operating system, we will abandon the fillable PDF version. Regardless, the workbook will continue to be
        available for printing a hard copy that can be completed by hand or with a typewriter.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote:

        > Thanks so much for this. Being the RT commissioner, I love getting info I can send out to my Scoutmasters.
        > Quick question, what about a scout that starts the process in the fall and will not be finished until after January? I suppose the answer is easy enough, make sure he starts in the new book. But what with the speed word gets handed down from alot of Council Advancement Committees (NOT).
        > Or a scout that started even further back......you know how sometimes a scout starts the process and then for some reason there is a long stall...........
        > Thanks
        >
        > Connie

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 9, 2011
          It is a newsletter that went out to the council advancement committees. You can request a copy from your council advancement committee. But the important things for this month have been posted already.

          Bill

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ben Ward <troop555eaglescout@...> wrote:

          > What is this advancement newsletter are ya'll talking about and what website can this be found on?
          >

          > Yours in Scouting,
          >

          > Ben Ward
          >

          > Eagle Scout Class 1999
          > Heart of Virginia Council # 602
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Ernest Schmidt
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 9, 2011
            Connie ive been trying to go to that link and it keeps telling me there is no such file? did BSA remove it already?

            Info from an advancement newsletter that came out Friday:

            The new workbook as a illable PDF document will be available shortly at
            http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources.aspx. Like the Guide to Advancement, it has been completely
            rewritten. The new workbook supports the revised wording in Eagle Scout requirement 5, which calls for a project proposal to be approved by the council or district, rather than "the project plan."
            Scouts have a choice to use either the new workbook or the one it is replacing. If they have already had their Eagle Scout service project approved by the council or district under the current wording of requirement 5, using the current workbook, they should continue with
            the same workbook. If their project has not yet been approved by the council or district, they may elect to use the new wording and the new workbook. For Scouts who choose to use the new workbook, those approving Eagle Scout service projects must evaluate projects accordingly, using the procedures outlined in the Guide to Advancement, and judging candidates' project proposals.

            Those responsible for council or district project approval do not have the authority to require use of the previous workbook edition if Scouts have elected to use the new requirement and the new workbook.
            We are aware of issues some Eagle Scout candidates have encountered using fillable PDF workbooks. Though we have taken some measures to improve the fillable PDF, some may still experience difficulties with it. As a solution, we are currently working toward a new approach to the workbook that may involve an online, interactive, downloadable application. If testing proves it to be a superior document, fully functional on virtually any operating system, we will abandon the fillable PDF version. Regardless, the workbook will continue to be
            available for printing a hard copy that can be completed by hand or with a typewriter.

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote:

            > Thanks so much for this. Being the RT commissioner, I love getting info I can send out to my Scoutmasters.
            > Quick question, what about a scout that starts the process in the fall and will not be finished until after January? I suppose the answer is easy enough, make sure he starts in the new book. But what with the speed word gets handed down from alot of Council Advancement Committees (NOT).
            > Or a scout that started even further back......you know how sometimes a scout starts the process and then for some reason there is a long stall...........
            > Thanks
            >
            > Connie

          • Rick Rambo
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 9, 2011
              Ernest, the sentence before the link says "will be available shortly at:"

              Rick

              On 10/9/2011 8:30 PM, Ernest Schmidt wrote:

              > Connie ive been trying to go to that link and it keeps telling me
              > there is no such file? did BSA remove it already?

            • Ernest Schmidt
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 9, 2011
                Thanks for that i missed it, went right over my head, But i am looking for a Power point briefing on "Cyber bully" I am puting a class together for my 1st Class soon to be scouts.

                Ernest, the sentence before the link says "will be available shortly at:"

                Rick

                On 10/9/2011 8:30 PM, Ernest Schmidt wrote:

                > Connie ive been trying to go to that link and it keeps telling me
                > there is no such file? did BSA remove it already?

              • Al
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 10, 2011
                  I have uploaded it to this Yahoo group.
                  Look under Files > The Training Continuum

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                  > The long-awaited—and much anticipated—new Guide
                  > to Advancement is finally finished. Your electronic copy
                  > can be accessed via this link: ...???
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 11, 2011
                    See if there is anything here you can use:
                    http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/BULLYINGPREVENTION.ppt

                  • fred-scouts@skrotzki.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2011
                      There is a problem with the link in the message thanks to Microsoft trying
                      to be smarter then it really is, look at it closely and you will notice that
                      it includes a period at the end that does not belong. So to use the posted
                      link do a little copy and paste (backspace a character) and enter. I've
                      provided it here fixed.

                      http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources
                      .aspx
                      As was pointed out it does say available shortly.

                      For those that want the Eagle workbook without it being editable you can go
                      here:
                      <http://www.troop439.net/512-927_Eagle_Scout_Service_Project_Workbook.pdf>
                      http://www.troop439.net/512-927_Eagle_Scout_Service_Project_Workbook.pdf

                      If for those that don't get the Advancement letter here is a shorter link
                      for the new Guide to Advancement: <http://tinyurl.com/NewBSAAdvGuide>
                      http://tinyurl.com/NewBSAAdvGuide

                      _____

                      Connie ive been trying to go to that link and it keeps telling me there is
                      no such file? did BSA remove it already?

                      Info from an advancement newsletter that came out Friday:

                      The new workbook as a illable PDF document will be available shortly at
                      http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources
                      .aspx. Like the Guide to Advancement, it has been completely
                      rewritten. The new workbook supports the revised wording in Eagle Scout
                      requirement 5, which calls for a project proposal to be approved by the
                      council or district, rather than "the project plan."
                      Scouts have a choice to use either the new workbook or the one it is
                      replacing. If they have already had their Eagle Scout service project
                      approved by the council or district under the current wording of requirement
                      5, using the current workbook, they should continue with
                      the same workbook. If their project has not yet been approved by the council
                      or district, they may elect to use the new wording and the new workbook. For
                      Scouts who choose to use the new workbook, those approving Eagle Scout
                      service projects must evaluate projects accordingly, using the procedures
                      outlined in the Guide to Advancement, and judging candidates' project
                      proposals.

                      Those responsible for council or district project approval do not have the
                      authority to require use of the previous workbook edition if Scouts have
                      elected to use the new requirement and the new workbook.
                      We are aware of issues some Eagle Scout candidates have encountered using
                      fillable PDF workbooks. Though we have taken some measures to improve the
                      fillable PDF, some may still experience difficulties with it. As a solution,
                      we are currently working toward a new approach to the workbook that may
                      involve an online, interactive, downloadable application. If testing proves
                      it to be a superior document, fully functional on virtually any operating
                      system, we will abandon the fillable PDF version. Regardless, the workbook
                      will continue to be
                      available for printing a hard copy that can be completed by hand or with a
                      typewriter.

                      Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks so much for this. Being the RT commissioner, I love getting info I
                      can send out to my Scoutmasters.Â
                      > Quick question, what about a scout that starts the process in the fall and
                      will not be finished until after January? I suppose the answer is easy
                      enough, make sure he starts in the new book. But what with the speed word
                      gets handed down from alot of Council Advancement Committees (NOT).Â
                      > Or a scout that started even further back......you know how sometimes a
                      scout starts the process and then for some reason there is a long
                      stall........... Â
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Connie

                    • kenbuszta
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 11, 2011
                        Not sure if you still need the powerpoint but here are a few thoughts that may help you.

                        I work in the computer security industry. If you have a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) in your group, they have access to a great presentation through (ISC)2, their certification body. You may want to check your within your group or district.

                        (ISC)2 also has cyberbullying presentation program where its members can bring this presentation straight to your group. You can request this service through www.isc2.org. For the speakers to participate in this program, they go through a training program and a background check because they are dealing with the youth.

                        I also found some very good videos on cyberbullying on You Tube. Just do the search. There is a very good one on that is a "diary" of a student who has been subject to CB. Its also from Childnet International and can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNumIY9D7uY.

                        Lastly, if you are willing to consider some outside help, reach out to your local law enforcement. Depending on your locality size, they may have a dedicate Public Information Officer, similiar to the DARE officers, that can speak to this subject.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Ken

                      • Ernest Schmidt
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 12, 2011
                          Yes i can thanks a lot.

                          See if there is anything here you can use:
                          http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/BULLYINGPREVENTION.ppt

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ernest Schmidt <eaglewarr7@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for that i missed it, went right over my head, But i am looking for a Power point briefing on "Cyber bully" I am puting a class together for my 1st Class soon to be scouts.

                        • A. Dukovic
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 18, 2011
                            "Fillable" workbook is now available folks!!

                            - Art

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 18, 2011
                              At the same link?

                              Connie

                              --- On Tue, 10/18/11, A. Dukovic <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                              "Fillable" workbook is now available folks!!

                              -

                            • Richard Perlman
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 18, 2011
                                Here's a direct link to the fillable workbook:

                                http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-927_fillable.pdf

                                Rich

                                On 10/18/2011 4:23 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
                                > At the same link?
                                >
                                > Connie
                                >
                                > --- On Tue, 10/18/11, A. Dukovic<artdukovic@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > "Fillable" workbook is now available folks!!
                                >

                                > -

                              • A. Dukovic
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 18, 2011
                                  Yes, go to the National site and both are available now as well as the "old" forms.

                                  - Art

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 19, 2011
                                    Fillable workbook is here:

                                    http://scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/resources.aspx