New CPR Technique

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2011
      The video is very well done. All should benefit from this training. Especially if you have had conventional CPR training.

      New CPR Technique

      You may have heard there is a new way to do CPR, but you may not have heard the "why" behind it. This is a very important video regarding the latest CPR procedure.....it is much simpler. Please take the time to watch and forward to your friends and family if you haven't already done so. You never know, a life may be saved utilizing this new procedure.

      http://tinyurl.com/2fx8r59
    • Herb
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2011
        No offense but here is a statement from BSA as of 2008. Until the catch up I will continue to teach the boys old school

        Recently there has been much discussion about the compression-only (or "hands-only") CPR technique. In the forthcoming months, this topic will be discussed by members of the Boy Scouts of America's Health and Safety Committee, which oversees the BSA's health- and safety-related policies and procedures. This committee also works closely with the American Red Cross and its BSA liaison to help ensure that such policies and procedures are the most appropriate for Scouting.

        The compression-only technique may be suitable for some emergency situations. It is not, however, an all-encompassing method for every CPR-related circumstance. For example, drowning victims will still require mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, because they do not have enough oxygen in their blood. In addition, the compression-only technique should not be used for infnats and children. There are other situations where the compression-only technique should not be applied.

        Should the BSA Health and Safety Committee make any modifications to the existing policy, the new information will be posted on this Web site.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

        > The video is very well done. All should benefit from this training. Especially if you have had conventional CPR training.
        >
        > New CPR Technique
        >
        > You may have heard there is a new way to do CPR, but you may not have heard the "why" behind it. This is a very important video regarding the latest CPR procedure.....it is much simpler. Please take the time to watch and forward to your friends and family if you haven't already done so. You never know, a life may be saved utilizing this new procedure.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/2fx8r59

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2011
          For drowning victims rescue breathing is still taught.

          From January 2011 Scouting Magazine

          Hands and Hearts
          In October, the American Heart Association issued new guidelines for CPR and ECC (emergency cardiovascular care), calling for a change in the CPR sequence from A-B-C (airway, breathing, chest compressions) to C-A-B (chest compressions, airway, breathing) for adults, children, and infants.

          The letters sound simple enough, but according to the AHA, the new model "will require re-education of everyone who has ever learned CPR." And, of course, that includes Scouters and youths.

          Richard Bourlon, head of the BSA's Health and Safety team, notes that many Scouters will begin learning the new methods as they take training programs through organizations like the American Red Cross. But he cautions that even with the new guidelines, Scout leaders and Scouts still need to use good judgment depending on the person in trouble and the circumstances.

          "Many people are asking, `Does that mean I don't have to do rescue breaths anymore?'" says Bourlon. "But [the new CPR sequence] isn't one size fits all." He adds that 325,000 people a year die of sudden cardiac arrest, but only a small percentage of those are youth. "Compression-only may be great for a Scouter who collapses at your meeting, but what about a Scout who rescues a drowning victim? They need air. With our youth and with our Scouting family, we have both exposures."

          For more on the new CPR guidelines, go to heart.org.

          http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/1101/d-trailhead.html

          The American Heart Association now advises both trained and untrained rescuers to begin CPR with chest compressions and, in most cases that do not involve a drowning victim, to do away with the resuscitating breaths altogether. Studies have shown that using chest compressions only is just as effective in re-starting a failing heart as doing the full version of CPR.

          Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/03/5-new-rules-for-good-health/#ixzz1aF1VLZM1
        • Barb Zepp
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2011
            This technique is only for untrained lay people. The best thing for you to do is to find an American Heart Association CPR class and be fully trained. This hands-only CPR was created to get people to at least give compressions, instead of walking away, thereby increasing the chances of survival of the victim.
            Barbz
            AHA instructor

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 9, 2011
              That was my take on it too. Thanks.

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Barb Zepp" <bzepp@...> wrote:

              > This technique is only for untrained lay people. The best thing for you to do is to find an American Heart Association CPR class and be fully trained. This hands-only CPR was created to get people to at least give compressions, instead of walking away, thereby increasing the chances of survival of the victim.
              > Barbz
              > AHA instructor

            • A. Dukovic
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
                Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?

                Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin???   This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.

                Food for thought???

                - Art
                > This technique is only for untrained lay people. The best thing for you to do is to find an American Heart Association CPR class and be fully trained. This hands-only CPR was created to get people to at least give compressions, instead of walking away, thereby increasing the chances of survival of the victim.
                > Barbz
                > AHA instructor

              • Chris Pearson
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
                  As a firefighter/emt, and a first aid/CPR instructor, I would urge that keeping yourself updated is great, but that only qualified professionals should actually be teaching these skills. And there are plenty of us who do this for free :)

                  Walking Softly,
                  Chris Pearson
                  Trainer/Consultant
                  Pearson Outdoor Education
                  www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
                  (425) 686-9175

                  On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:14 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                  > Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?
                  >
                  > Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin??? This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.
                  >
                  > Food for thought???
                  >

                  > - Art

                • A. Dukovic
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
                    Understood, but some councils/camps require the Red Cross "certification" and if ya want that card, ya gotta pay for the books and course fees to be "legal"; as a retired police officer, I taught this stuff too but again, if Red Cross was going to "bless" my training, ya had to use THEIR materials which were pretty expensive.

                    Lifesaving is one thing, but if it's NOT BSA approved, then you're on your own IF there's a problem; now if it was me and I had a problem, I don't care what saved my life as long as it works, but not everyone's like me folks??

                    - Art
                    As a firefighter/emt, and a first aid/CPR instructor, I would urge that keeping yourself updated is great, but that only qualified professionals should actually be teaching these skills. And there are plenty of us who do this for free :)

                    Walking Softly,
                    Chris Pearson
                    Trainer/Consultant
                    Pearson Outdoor Education
                    www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
                    (425) 686-9175

                    On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:14 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                    > Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?
                    >
                    > Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin??? This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.
                    >
                    > Food for thought???
                    >

                    > - Art

                  • Hotmail Rod
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
                      I am a Red Cross Instructor and I am an Authorized Provider for our local council which means that I can teach the classes at a significantly lower price. The Red Cross has restructured their Health and Safety group and with these changes have made all of the materials available on line at no charge. Now you do not need the material. They have even done away with the written test if the instructor feels that the class has demonstrated the skills effectively

                      Rod

                      Understood, but some councils/camps require the Red Cross "certification" and if ya want that card, ya gotta pay for the books and course fees to be "legal"; as a retired police officer, I taught this stuff too but again, if Red Cross was going to "bless" my training, ya had to use THEIR materials which were pretty expensive.

                      Lifesaving is one thing, but if it's NOT BSA approved, then you're on your own IF there's a problem; now if it was me and I had a problem, I don't care what saved my life as long as it works, but not everyone's like me folks??

                      - Art
                      As a firefighter/emt, and a first aid/CPR instructor, I would urge that keeping yourself updated is great, but that only qualified professionals should actually be teaching these skills. And there are plenty of us who do this for free :)

                      Walking Softly,
                      Chris Pearson
                      Trainer/Consultant
                      Pearson Outdoor Education
                      www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
                      (425) 686-9175

                      On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:14 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                      > Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?
                      >
                      > Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin??? This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.
                      >
                      > Food for thought???
                      >

                      > - Art

                    • A. Dukovic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 10, 2011
                        Rod, thanks for the update and I'm really glad they made the changes; we've had an awful lot of folks that just could NOT afford it and this will certainly help!!

                        - Art
                        I am a Red Cross Instructor and I am an Authorized Provider for our local council which means that I can teach the classes at a significantly lower price. The Red Cross has restructured their Health and Safety group and with these changes have made all of the materials available on line at no charge. Now you do not need the material. They have even done away with the written test if the instructor feels that the class has demonstrated the skills effectively

                        Rod

                        Understood, but some councils/camps require the Red Cross "certification" and if ya want that card, ya gotta pay for the books and course fees to be "legal"; as a retired police officer, I taught this stuff too but again, if Red Cross was going to "bless" my training, ya had to use THEIR materials which were pretty expensive.

                        Lifesaving is one thing, but if it's NOT BSA approved, then you're on your own IF there's a problem; now if it was me and I had a problem, I don't care what saved my life as long as it works, but not everyone's like me folks??

                        - Art
                        As a firefighter/emt, and a first aid/CPR instructor, I would urge that keeping yourself updated is great, but that only qualified professionals should actually be teaching these skills. And there are plenty of us who do this for free :)

                        Walking Softly,
                        Chris Pearson
                        Trainer/Consultant
                        Pearson Outdoor Education
                        www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
                        (425) 686-9175

                        On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:14 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                        > Nope, if ya watch the video again please, it says this is better than the old way; this new method when done correctly, they say, maintains constant blood flow to the brain, and does not allow "interruption" as does tradition CPR which, allegedly stops blood flow to the brain when breathing is done?
                        >
                        > Understand we maintain an "alliance" with Red Cross, but everything they offer, to include training, certifications, literature is NOT free, so any "options" that work are a great idea, I'm thinkin??? This new method also seems easier to teach as it's ONLY compressions; again, I'm not a doctor, but it is "endorsed" already by many doctors themselves who should know, and really have no specific "financial" conflict of interest as the Red Cross has.
                        >
                        > Food for thought???
                        >

                        > - Art

                      • Glen Hoshizaki
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 15, 2011
                          Hmmm…

                          I’m not sure I agree 100% with your statement that “only qualified professionals” should be teaching CPR. As a first aid merit badge instructor I certainly see a lot of cringe-worthy misinformation pass from scout to scout, making my job more interesting. Nevertheless, I like how Scouting has scouts teach each other, and that includes CPR.

                          Of course, a good instructor can make a world of difference, but a motivated self-directed learner can accomplish a lot. And the combination of the two? Well…

                          Glen

                          American Heart Association Basic Life Support instructor and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support instructor