Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training Madatory

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7 12:17 PM

      Bill wrote in reply (in part):
      > Lloyd, I must respectfully disagree with you on that.
      > When the current leadership of a pack takes on yet another job or
      > responsibility, there is a tendency to hurt at least two boys: 1) the son
      of
      > the now overloaded leader who now must sacrifice more of his/her
      > family time for the good of the pack, and 2) the boy who could have
      > had a parent role model helping make the pack go but won't because
      > we let that parent take a free baby sitting role.
      >
      > Good pack and den leaders should steadfastly refuse to take BALOO
      > training. Force another parent to go.

      Ooof! I agree with you both! There's lots of cool stuff in BALOO that goes
      beyond camping and is easily worked into den and pack meetings. In fact,
      many of the leaders that took our BALOO in March wrote on their evaluations
      that BALOO should be mandatory for all leaders, even if they never go
      camping. Others noted that the Planning, Hikes and Games segments should be
      part of basic training, and that BSA is remiss in not exposing every leader
      to those ideas.

      How about some of the pack leaders go and take the fresh parents with 'em?

      Sean Scott
      Training Chairman
      Cub Roundtable Commissioner
      Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District
      Family FOS Chairman, California Inland Empire Council

      WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
    • Bill Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7 12:53 PM
        Sean Scott wrote:

        > There's lots of cool stuff in BALOO that goes

        > beyond camping and is easily worked into den and pack meetings. In fact,

        > many of the leaders that took our BALOO in March wrote on their evaluations
        > that BALOO should be mandatory for all leaders, even if they never go
        > camping. Others noted that the Planning, Hikes and Games segments should be
        > part of basic training, and that BSA is remiss in not exposing every leader
        > to those ideas.

        Yes, Sean there certainly is a lot of great stuff there, and I'm sure
        that a good RT Commissioner (names to be unmentioned) will
        see to it that all current leaders get it when they attend RT.
        I know they will RT attend because they only have one job in
        their pack and don't feel that one more night away from home
        is a burden on their families. ;)

        --
        Bill Smith
        Sunset Trail District