Re: Adult Registered Position Question

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Richard Damon <richard@...> wrote:

      > On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay,
      it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".

      Yes, that seems very odd.

      > I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
      position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
      to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
      District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
      multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
      position.

      Nothing in the latest (2009) edition of the advancements guidelines
      (33088) says they have to pay. It states:

      " Register merit badge counselors by using the basic adult registration
      form. All merit badge counselors must be approved by the council
      advancement committee. Merit badge counselors are not required to pay a
      fee if they are only registered as merit badge counselors."

      In our district, we have several volunteers who are registered only as a
      merit badge counselor; no other registrations. They do not pay any fees.

      Paul Y
      District Advancement Chair
      Thunderbird District
      Inland Northwest Council
      Spokane WA
      "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
    • Howard Hansen - DC
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
        It was my understanding that the MBC with a fee was because the MBC had no
        other registered position and wanted to get Scouting Magazine. I could be
        wrong, but that is what I was told.

        Howard Hansen

        District Commissioner

        Fox Valley District

        Three Fires Council

        _____

        From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
        <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
        To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> >
        Date: Monday, September 5, 2011, 12:44 PM

        Hi,

        I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it just
        sticks in my brain as something "odd".

        The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used by a
        council.

        Marian Mcquaid

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
          Could be just to keep track of people like myself that are registered in
          other positions and are also merit badge counselors. I don't know how
          multipled positions are recorded in ScoutNet, but that was an idea
          especially since the code is 42M (for multipled perhaps?).

          Roy Fisher

          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
            No. To multiple some one, the registrar checks a box. In the code list, it clearly indicates that 42m is paid.

            I will check into it this week and find out!
            Marian McQuaid

          • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
              NOW that makes sense. But I get wary when Scoutnet decides to allow logic.

              Marian McQuaid

              From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
              <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
              To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com