Re: Adult Registered Position Question

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 3 3:55 PM
      *Scouter

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

      > whats a couter?
      >
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.
      > >
      > > see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam

    • bobbytoda
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 4 2:51 PM
        Hi Mike,
        There were two Scouter Reserve designations in the system, one for a scouter that wanted to continue to be registered but not able to actively serve and the other, the college reserve scouter for young adults that are away or unable to support their unit while in college. As one poster commented, many SMs would register their aged out scouts as ASMs, where you can serve upon turning 18 because the only other unit alternative was to be registered as a committee member, but you have to be 21 to do so. The problem with your ASMs away at school is that it's extremely difficult for them to become trained and this in turn, causes the unit, district and council trained numbers to go down.

        Although 'mandatory' training is in the future, the new Journey to Excellence is not. I have been suggesting to the SMs in my council that they should register their ASMs away at college to re-register as College Scout Reserves for several years, so as not to affect their training numbers. To register as a CSR, they previously had to register with either the council or their district. It was then up to the district or unit to get the CSR rechartered, and no reminders were sent to his unit and there was nothing for the unit to be able to track this. I'm guessing that this new designation where the unit can register the college scout reserver was aimed to faciliate the process and make it easier during rechartering and then re-register as an MC when he turns 21. I had many objections in the past from SMs when I had suggested using the CSR registration because of losing track of the registration and having them go through the counci.I'm glad to see this happen.

        YIS

        Bobby Toda
        Training Chair, Santa Clara County Council
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 4 6:55 PM
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College [S]couter Reserve is indeed a
          new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT.
          Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be
          announced by National.

          I don't think the code 92U will be used as ScoutNet currently allows
          only two positions for the Position Code (to change to a 3-position code
          would require rewriting the entire ScoutNet system!).

          I'm sure something else will be used.

          Paul Y
          District Advancement Chair
          Thunderbird District
          Inland Northwest Council
          Spokane WA
          "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
        • Michael Crothers
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 5 4:33 AM
            1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used in ScoutNet. Two examples are
            a. PCC  - Post Committee Chair
            b. PMC - Post Committee Member.

            2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.
            Yours In Scouting

            Mike Crothers

            and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

            and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 5 8:31 AM
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
              wrote:

              > 1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used
              in ScoutNet. Two examples are
              > a. PCCÂ - Post Committee Chair
              > b. PMC - Post Committee Member.
              >
              > 2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.

              I stand corrected! I don't have access to that part of ScoutNet so I was
              basing my reply on what I see on the Adult Application - and the codes
              listered therein.

              You would think that if the Adult Application has only two spaces for
              the position code, ScoutNet would use two positions.

              Hmmmm, makes me wonder how you enter three codes in two boxes?????

              Paul
              District Advancement Chair
              Thunderbird District
              Inland Northwest Council
              Spokane WA
              "Once Fox, always a Fox"
            • A. Dukovic
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 5 9:04 AM
                That is great; if they've done it correctly, the boys should show up on each Unit's charter as well, and ONLY requiring YPT should not hurt Unit "numbers".

                - Art

              • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 5 10:06 AM
                  Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                  Marian McQuaid
                  Boston Minuteman Council

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 5 10:53 AM
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                    > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit
                    numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                    So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to
                    put three characters there?

                    And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says
                    code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                    Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?
                    I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all
                    the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 5 12:44 PM
                        Hi,
                        I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                        The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used by a council.
                        Marian Mcquaid

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 5 1:01 PM
                            On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it
                            > just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                            > The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used
                            > by a council.
                            > Marian Mcquaid

                            I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                            position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                            to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                            District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                            multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                            position.

                            --
                            Richard Damon
                            Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

                          • Paul
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 5 3:19 PM
                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Richard Damon <richard@...> wrote:

                              > On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay,
                              it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".

                              Yes, that seems very odd.

                              > I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                              position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                              to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                              District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                              multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                              position.

                              Nothing in the latest (2009) edition of the advancements guidelines
                              (33088) says they have to pay. It states:

                              " Register merit badge counselors by using the basic adult registration
                              form. All merit badge counselors must be approved by the council
                              advancement committee. Merit badge counselors are not required to pay a
                              fee if they are only registered as merit badge counselors."

                              In our district, we have several volunteers who are registered only as a
                              merit badge counselor; no other registrations. They do not pay any fees.

                              Paul Y
                              District Advancement Chair
                              Thunderbird District
                              Inland Northwest Council
                              Spokane WA
                              "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                            • Howard Hansen - DC
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 5 3:51 PM
                                It was my understanding that the MBC with a fee was because the MBC had no
                                other registered position and wanted to get Scouting Magazine. I could be
                                wrong, but that is what I was told.

                                Howard Hansen

                                District Commissioner

                                Fox Valley District

                                Three Fires Council

                                _____

                                --- On Mon, 9/5/11, mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>

                                From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> >

                                > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit

                                numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to

                                put three characters there?

                                And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says

                                code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                                Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?

                                I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all

                                the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                                Paul Y

                                District Advancement Chair

                                Thunderbird District

                                Inland Northwest Council

                                Spokane WA

                                "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                              • R Fisher
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 5 4:07 PM
                                  Could be just to keep track of people like myself that are registered in
                                  other positions and are also merit badge counselors. I don't know how
                                  multipled positions are recorded in ScoutNet, but that was an idea
                                  especially since the code is 42M (for multipled perhaps?).

                                  Roy Fisher

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 5 4:11 PM
                                    No. To multiple some one, the registrar checks a box. In the code list, it clearly indicates that 42m is paid.

                                    I will check into it this week and find out!
                                    Marian McQuaid

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 5 4:12 PM
                                      NOW that makes sense. But I get wary when Scoutnet decides to allow logic.

                                      Marian McQuaid

                                      From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                      <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                      To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com