Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Adult Registered Position Question

  • Michael Crothers
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
      The title was "Unit College Scouter Reserve"

      It was only listed as a Troop & a Team registered position in ScoutNet.

      It was not there last Saturday

      Yours In Scouting

      Mike Crothers

      and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

      and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
        I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.

        see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam
      • Herb
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
          whats a couter?

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.
          >
          > see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
            *Scouter

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

            > whats a couter?
            >
            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.
            > >
            > > see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam

          • bobbytoda
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 4, 2011
              Hi Mike,
              There were two Scouter Reserve designations in the system, one for a scouter that wanted to continue to be registered but not able to actively serve and the other, the college reserve scouter for young adults that are away or unable to support their unit while in college. As one poster commented, many SMs would register their aged out scouts as ASMs, where you can serve upon turning 18 because the only other unit alternative was to be registered as a committee member, but you have to be 21 to do so. The problem with your ASMs away at school is that it's extremely difficult for them to become trained and this in turn, causes the unit, district and council trained numbers to go down.

              Although 'mandatory' training is in the future, the new Journey to Excellence is not. I have been suggesting to the SMs in my council that they should register their ASMs away at college to re-register as College Scout Reserves for several years, so as not to affect their training numbers. To register as a CSR, they previously had to register with either the council or their district. It was then up to the district or unit to get the CSR rechartered, and no reminders were sent to his unit and there was nothing for the unit to be able to track this. I'm guessing that this new designation where the unit can register the college scout reserver was aimed to faciliate the process and make it easier during rechartering and then re-register as an MC when he turns 21. I had many objections in the past from SMs when I had suggested using the CSR registration because of losing track of the registration and having them go through the counci.I'm glad to see this happen.

              YIS

              Bobby Toda
              Training Chair, Santa Clara County Council
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 4, 2011
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College [S]couter Reserve is indeed a
                new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT.
                Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be
                announced by National.

                I don't think the code 92U will be used as ScoutNet currently allows
                only two positions for the Position Code (to change to a 3-position code
                would require rewriting the entire ScoutNet system!).

                I'm sure something else will be used.

                Paul Y
                District Advancement Chair
                Thunderbird District
                Inland Northwest Council
                Spokane WA
                "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
              • Michael Crothers
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                  1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used in ScoutNet. Two examples are
                  a. PCC  - Post Committee Chair
                  b. PMC - Post Committee Member.

                  2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
                    wrote:

                    > 1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used
                    in ScoutNet. Two examples are
                    > a. PCCÂ - Post Committee Chair
                    > b. PMC - Post Committee Member.
                    >
                    > 2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.

                    I stand corrected! I don't have access to that part of ScoutNet so I was
                    basing my reply on what I see on the Adult Application - and the codes
                    listered therein.

                    You would think that if the Adult Application has only two spaces for
                    the position code, ScoutNet would use two positions.

                    Hmmmm, makes me wonder how you enter three codes in two boxes?????

                    Paul
                    District Advancement Chair
                    Thunderbird District
                    Inland Northwest Council
                    Spokane WA
                    "Once Fox, always a Fox"
                  • A. Dukovic
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                      That is great; if they've done it correctly, the boys should show up on each Unit's charter as well, and ONLY requiring YPT should not hurt Unit "numbers".

                      - Art

                    • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                        Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                        Marian McQuaid
                        Boston Minuteman Council

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                          > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit
                          numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                          So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to
                          put three characters there?

                          And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says
                          code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                          Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?
                          I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all
                          the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                              Hi,
                              I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                              The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used by a council.
                              Marian Mcquaid

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                  On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it
                                  > just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                                  > The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used
                                  > by a council.
                                  > Marian Mcquaid

                                  I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                                  position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                                  to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                                  District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                                  multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                                  position.

                                  --
                                  Richard Damon
                                  Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

                                • Paul
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Richard Damon <richard@...> wrote:

                                    > On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay,
                                    it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".

                                    Yes, that seems very odd.

                                    > I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                                    position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                                    to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                                    District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                                    multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                                    position.

                                    Nothing in the latest (2009) edition of the advancements guidelines
                                    (33088) says they have to pay. It states:

                                    " Register merit badge counselors by using the basic adult registration
                                    form. All merit badge counselors must be approved by the council
                                    advancement committee. Merit badge counselors are not required to pay a
                                    fee if they are only registered as merit badge counselors."

                                    In our district, we have several volunteers who are registered only as a
                                    merit badge counselor; no other registrations. They do not pay any fees.

                                    Paul Y
                                    District Advancement Chair
                                    Thunderbird District
                                    Inland Northwest Council
                                    Spokane WA
                                    "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                                  • Howard Hansen - DC
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                      It was my understanding that the MBC with a fee was because the MBC had no
                                      other registered position and wanted to get Scouting Magazine. I could be
                                      wrong, but that is what I was told.

                                      Howard Hansen

                                      District Commissioner

                                      Fox Valley District

                                      Three Fires Council

                                      _____

                                      --- On Mon, 9/5/11, mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>

                                      From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                      <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                      To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                      <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> >

                                      > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit

                                      numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                      So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to

                                      put three characters there?

                                      And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says

                                      code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                                      Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?

                                      I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all

                                      the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                                      Paul Y

                                      District Advancement Chair

                                      Thunderbird District

                                      Inland Northwest Council

                                      Spokane WA

                                      "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                                    • R Fisher
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                        Could be just to keep track of people like myself that are registered in
                                        other positions and are also merit badge counselors. I don't know how
                                        multipled positions are recorded in ScoutNet, but that was an idea
                                        especially since the code is 42M (for multipled perhaps?).

                                        Roy Fisher

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                          No. To multiple some one, the registrar checks a box. In the code list, it clearly indicates that 42m is paid.

                                          I will check into it this week and find out!
                                          Marian McQuaid

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                            NOW that makes sense. But I get wary when Scoutnet decides to allow logic.

                                            Marian McQuaid

                                            From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                            <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                            To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com