Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Adult Registered Position Question

  • Michael Crothers
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
      <Which report did you see that in?>

      I have a limited access password for ScoutNet.

      Every Saturday I go To MyBSA/Program and down load the Training report. It is downloaded by program (CS etc), then you select a position and it gives you everybody registered for that position in the council. It lists the last date Youth Protection was taken and Yes or No for required training for that specific registered position for each individual registered in that position.

      Yours In Scouting

      Mike Crothers

      Council Training Chair
      Tecumseh Council

      and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

      and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
        So someone in your district is registered as a code 92U - Unit College Scouter Reserve? I heard that use to be a position in places, but is it still?

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

        > <Which report did you see that in?>
        >
        > I have a limited access password for ScoutNet.
        >
        > Every Saturday I go To MyBSA/Program and down load the Training report. It is downloaded by program (CS etc), then you select a position and it gives you everybody registered for that position in the council. It lists the last date Youth Protection was taken and Yes or No for required training for that specific registered position for each individual registered in that position.
        >

        > Yours In Scouting
        >

        > Mike Crothers
        >
        > Council Training Chair
        > Tecumseh Council

        > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
          <<So someone in your district is registered as a code 92U - Unit College Scouter Reserve? I heard that use to be a position in places, but is it still? >>

          My understanding is that the position code has been sort of "revived" in light of the mandatory training initiative, to accomodate students who want to remain registered while in college.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
            I went looking for references:

            http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/lodge/bestpractices/registrationoptions.pdf

            http://www.samoset.org/resources/ribmountain/COLLEGE%20SCOUTER%20RESERVE.pdf

            http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/285084/cc8b2efadc/ARCHIVE

            http://www.del-mi.org/content/view/158/122/

            Most of these are from councils, and one from the OA, which was the only national document I can find, but all of them are relatively recent.

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
              Looks like a council position, not a unit position

              College Scouter reserve. The college Scouter reserve exists for college students at least 17 years of age to
              maintain a Scouting affiliation. These individuals should be registered either as a district or council Scouter,
              and not on a unit roster. Both male and female Scouters may register in the college Scouter reserve. The
              application should indicate a college address and may be submitted through the college or home council.
              Applicants should use position code 92.

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                  The title was "Unit College Scouter Reserve"

                  It was only listed as a Troop & a Team registered position in ScoutNet.

                  It was not there last Saturday

                  Yours In Scouting

                  Mike Crothers

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                    I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.

                    see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam
                  • Herb
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                      whats a couter?

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                        *Scouter

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

                        > whats a couter?
                        >
                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.
                        > >
                        > > see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam

                      • bobbytoda
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 4, 2011
                          Hi Mike,
                          There were two Scouter Reserve designations in the system, one for a scouter that wanted to continue to be registered but not able to actively serve and the other, the college reserve scouter for young adults that are away or unable to support their unit while in college. As one poster commented, many SMs would register their aged out scouts as ASMs, where you can serve upon turning 18 because the only other unit alternative was to be registered as a committee member, but you have to be 21 to do so. The problem with your ASMs away at school is that it's extremely difficult for them to become trained and this in turn, causes the unit, district and council trained numbers to go down.

                          Although 'mandatory' training is in the future, the new Journey to Excellence is not. I have been suggesting to the SMs in my council that they should register their ASMs away at college to re-register as College Scout Reserves for several years, so as not to affect their training numbers. To register as a CSR, they previously had to register with either the council or their district. It was then up to the district or unit to get the CSR rechartered, and no reminders were sent to his unit and there was nothing for the unit to be able to track this. I'm guessing that this new designation where the unit can register the college scout reserver was aimed to faciliate the process and make it easier during rechartering and then re-register as an MC when he turns 21. I had many objections in the past from SMs when I had suggested using the CSR registration because of losing track of the registration and having them go through the counci.I'm glad to see this happen.

                          YIS

                          Bobby Toda
                          Training Chair, Santa Clara County Council
                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 4, 2011
                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                            > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College [S]couter Reserve is indeed a
                            new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT.
                            Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be
                            announced by National.

                            I don't think the code 92U will be used as ScoutNet currently allows
                            only two positions for the Position Code (to change to a 3-position code
                            would require rewriting the entire ScoutNet system!).

                            I'm sure something else will be used.

                            Paul Y
                            District Advancement Chair
                            Thunderbird District
                            Inland Northwest Council
                            Spokane WA
                            "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                          • Michael Crothers
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                              1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used in ScoutNet. Two examples are
                              a. PCC  - Post Committee Chair
                              b. PMC - Post Committee Member.

                              2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.
                              Yours In Scouting

                              Mike Crothers

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                wrote:

                                > 1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used
                                in ScoutNet. Two examples are
                                > a. PCCÂ - Post Committee Chair
                                > b. PMC - Post Committee Member.
                                >
                                > 2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.

                                I stand corrected! I don't have access to that part of ScoutNet so I was
                                basing my reply on what I see on the Adult Application - and the codes
                                listered therein.

                                You would think that if the Adult Application has only two spaces for
                                the position code, ScoutNet would use two positions.

                                Hmmmm, makes me wonder how you enter three codes in two boxes?????

                                Paul
                                District Advancement Chair
                                Thunderbird District
                                Inland Northwest Council
                                Spokane WA
                                "Once Fox, always a Fox"
                              • A. Dukovic
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                  That is great; if they've done it correctly, the boys should show up on each Unit's charter as well, and ONLY requiring YPT should not hurt Unit "numbers".

                                  - Art

                                • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                    Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                    Marian McQuaid
                                    Boston Minuteman Council

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                                      > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit
                                      numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                      So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to
                                      put three characters there?

                                      And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says
                                      code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                                      Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?
                                      I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all
                                      the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                        There are presently approximately 440 registration code.

                                        Yours In Scouting

                                        Mike Crothers

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                          Hi,
                                          I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                                          The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used by a council.
                                          Marian Mcquaid

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                            It is for a merit badge Counselor who charges a fee for his counseling.

                                            Nerver seen it, but I guess it is possible.

                                            Yours In Scouting

                                            Mike Crothers

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                              On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                                              > Hi,
                                              > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it
                                              > just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                                              > The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used
                                              > by a council.
                                              > Marian Mcquaid

                                              I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                                              position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                                              to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                                              District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                                              multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                                              position.

                                              --
                                              Richard Damon
                                              Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

                                            • Paul
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Richard Damon <richard@...> wrote:

                                                > On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay,
                                                it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".

                                                Yes, that seems very odd.

                                                > I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                                                position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                                                to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                                                District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                                                multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                                                position.

                                                Nothing in the latest (2009) edition of the advancements guidelines
                                                (33088) says they have to pay. It states:

                                                " Register merit badge counselors by using the basic adult registration
                                                form. All merit badge counselors must be approved by the council
                                                advancement committee. Merit badge counselors are not required to pay a
                                                fee if they are only registered as merit badge counselors."

                                                In our district, we have several volunteers who are registered only as a
                                                merit badge counselor; no other registrations. They do not pay any fees.

                                                Paul Y
                                                District Advancement Chair
                                                Thunderbird District
                                                Inland Northwest Council
                                                Spokane WA
                                                "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                                              • Howard Hansen - DC
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                  It was my understanding that the MBC with a fee was because the MBC had no
                                                  other registered position and wanted to get Scouting Magazine. I could be
                                                  wrong, but that is what I was told.

                                                  Howard Hansen

                                                  District Commissioner

                                                  Fox Valley District

                                                  Three Fires Council

                                                  _____

                                                  --- On Mon, 9/5/11, mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>

                                                  From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                                  <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                                  To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                                  <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> >

                                                  > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit

                                                  numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                                  So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to

                                                  put three characters there?

                                                  And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says

                                                  code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                                                  Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?

                                                  I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all

                                                  the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                                                  Paul Y

                                                  District Advancement Chair

                                                  Thunderbird District

                                                  Inland Northwest Council

                                                  Spokane WA

                                                  "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                                                • R Fisher
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                    Could be just to keep track of people like myself that are registered in
                                                    other positions and are also merit badge counselors. I don't know how
                                                    multipled positions are recorded in ScoutNet, but that was an idea
                                                    especially since the code is 42M (for multipled perhaps?).

                                                    Roy Fisher

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                      No. To multiple some one, the registrar checks a box. In the code list, it clearly indicates that 42m is paid.

                                                      I will check into it this week and find out!
                                                      Marian McQuaid

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                        NOW that makes sense. But I get wary when Scoutnet decides to allow logic.

                                                        Marian McQuaid

                                                        From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                                        <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                                        To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com