Adult Registered Position Question

  • Michael Crothers
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
      Today I found that ScoutNet had added a new position it was tracking in the training report for Troop and Team Adult membership.

      It was code 92U - Unit College Scouter Reserve

      Yours In Scouting.

      Does anyone know what the training requirements are for this position?

      Mike Crothers

      and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

      and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
        My husband is a SM and while this position is not a new position it is good to have it back. It allows the college aged kids who would have trouble getting to mandatory training to be chartered without the pressure. Previously the only position they could be registered for was ASM and that made training mandatory. At least it is headed that way. So the thinking by my Mr is that if they decided to take training then they would take the same training as any ASM or SM. I would hazard a guess that YP would still be required but any college student can go on line for that.......

        Connie

        --- On Sat, 9/3/11, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:Today I found that ScoutNet had added a new position it was tracking in the training report for Troop and Team Adult membership.

        It was code 92U - Unit College Scouter Reserve

        Yours In Scouting.

        Does anyone know what the training requirements are for this position?

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
          Which report did you see that in?

          Bill

          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
            <Which report did you see that in?>

            I have a limited access password for ScoutNet.

            Every Saturday I go To MyBSA/Program and down load the Training report. It is downloaded by program (CS etc), then you select a position and it gives you everybody registered for that position in the council. It lists the last date Youth Protection was taken and Yes or No for required training for that specific registered position for each individual registered in that position.

            Yours In Scouting

            Mike Crothers

            Council Training Chair
            Tecumseh Council

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
              So someone in your district is registered as a code 92U - Unit College Scouter Reserve? I heard that use to be a position in places, but is it still?

              Bill

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

              > <Which report did you see that in?>
              >
              > I have a limited access password for ScoutNet.
              >
              > Every Saturday I go To MyBSA/Program and down load the Training report. It is downloaded by program (CS etc), then you select a position and it gives you everybody registered for that position in the council. It lists the last date Youth Protection was taken and Yes or No for required training for that specific registered position for each individual registered in that position.
              >

              > Yours In Scouting
              >

              > Mike Crothers
              >
              > Council Training Chair
              > Tecumseh Council

              > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

            • Jamie Niss Dunn
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                <<So someone in your district is registered as a code 92U - Unit College Scouter Reserve? I heard that use to be a position in places, but is it still? >>

                My understanding is that the position code has been sort of "revived" in light of the mandatory training initiative, to accomodate students who want to remain registered while in college.

                Jamie Niss Dunn
                Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Troop Committee, Troop 509
                Ham Lake, MN
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                Three Rivers District

              • Jamie Niss Dunn
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                  I went looking for references:

                  http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/lodge/bestpractices/registrationoptions.pdf

                  http://www.samoset.org/resources/ribmountain/COLLEGE%20SCOUTER%20RESERVE.pdf

                  http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/285084/cc8b2efadc/ARCHIVE

                  http://www.del-mi.org/content/view/158/122/

                  Most of these are from councils, and one from the OA, which was the only national document I can find, but all of them are relatively recent.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                    Looks like a council position, not a unit position

                    College Scouter reserve. The college Scouter reserve exists for college students at least 17 years of age to
                    maintain a Scouting affiliation. These individuals should be registered either as a district or council Scouter,
                    and not on a unit roster. Both male and female Scouters may register in the college Scouter reserve. The
                    application should indicate a college address and may be submitted through the college or home council.
                    Applicants should use position code 92.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                        The title was "Unit College Scouter Reserve"

                        It was only listed as a Troop & a Team registered position in ScoutNet.

                        It was not there last Saturday

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                          I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.

                          see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam
                        • Herb
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                            whats a couter?

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 3, 2011
                              *Scouter

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

                              > whats a couter?
                              >
                              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College couter Reserve is indeed a new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT. Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be announced by National.
                              > >
                              > > see: http://www.facebook.com/BSAtrainingteam

                            • bobbytoda
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 4, 2011
                                Hi Mike,
                                There were two Scouter Reserve designations in the system, one for a scouter that wanted to continue to be registered but not able to actively serve and the other, the college reserve scouter for young adults that are away or unable to support their unit while in college. As one poster commented, many SMs would register their aged out scouts as ASMs, where you can serve upon turning 18 because the only other unit alternative was to be registered as a committee member, but you have to be 21 to do so. The problem with your ASMs away at school is that it's extremely difficult for them to become trained and this in turn, causes the unit, district and council trained numbers to go down.

                                Although 'mandatory' training is in the future, the new Journey to Excellence is not. I have been suggesting to the SMs in my council that they should register their ASMs away at college to re-register as College Scout Reserves for several years, so as not to affect their training numbers. To register as a CSR, they previously had to register with either the council or their district. It was then up to the district or unit to get the CSR rechartered, and no reminders were sent to his unit and there was nothing for the unit to be able to track this. I'm guessing that this new designation where the unit can register the college scout reserver was aimed to faciliate the process and make it easier during rechartering and then re-register as an MC when he turns 21. I had many objections in the past from SMs when I had suggested using the CSR registration because of losing track of the registration and having them go through the counci.I'm glad to see this happen.

                                YIS

                                Bobby Toda
                                Training Chair, Santa Clara County Council
                              • Paul
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 4, 2011
                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                                  > I have confirmed that 92U - Unit College [S]couter Reserve is indeed a
                                  new UNIT position and the required training for it is only YPT.
                                  Registrars will be informed of it next week and then it will be
                                  announced by National.

                                  I don't think the code 92U will be used as ScoutNet currently allows
                                  only two positions for the Position Code (to change to a 3-position code
                                  would require rewriting the entire ScoutNet system!).

                                  I'm sure something else will be used.

                                  Paul Y
                                  District Advancement Chair
                                  Thunderbird District
                                  Inland Northwest Council
                                  Spokane WA
                                  "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                                • Michael Crothers
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                    1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used in ScoutNet. Two examples are
                                    a. PCC  - Post Committee Chair
                                    b. PMC - Post Committee Member.

                                    2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                      wrote:

                                      > 1. Currently there are many three digit registration codes being used
                                      in ScoutNet. Two examples are
                                      > a. PCCÂ - Post Committee Chair
                                      > b. PMC - Post Committee Member.
                                      >
                                      > 2. I found 92U listed with other registered positions in ScoutNet.

                                      I stand corrected! I don't have access to that part of ScoutNet so I was
                                      basing my reply on what I see on the Adult Application - and the codes
                                      listered therein.

                                      You would think that if the Adult Application has only two spaces for
                                      the position code, ScoutNet would use two positions.

                                      Hmmmm, makes me wonder how you enter three codes in two boxes?????

                                      Paul
                                      District Advancement Chair
                                      Thunderbird District
                                      Inland Northwest Council
                                      Spokane WA
                                      "Once Fox, always a Fox"
                                    • A. Dukovic
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                        That is great; if they've done it correctly, the boys should show up on each Unit's charter as well, and ONLY requiring YPT should not hurt Unit "numbers".

                                        - Art

                                      • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                          Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                          Marian McQuaid
                                          Boston Minuteman Council

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                                            > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit
                                            numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                            So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to
                                            put three characters there?

                                            And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says
                                            code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                                            Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?
                                            I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all
                                            the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                Hi,
                                                I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                                                The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used by a council.
                                                Marian Mcquaid

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                    On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                                                    > Hi,
                                                    > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay, it
                                                    > just sticks in my brain as something "odd".
                                                    > The code list is pretty long, and generally only a few are ever used
                                                    > by a council.
                                                    > Marian Mcquaid

                                                    I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                                                    position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                                                    to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                                                    District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                                                    multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                                                    position.

                                                    --
                                                    Richard Damon
                                                    Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

                                                  • Paul
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Richard Damon <richard@...> wrote:

                                                      > On 9/5/11 3:44 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I have NO idea why there would be Merit Badge Counselors that pay,
                                                      it just sticks in my brain as something "odd".

                                                      Yes, that seems very odd.

                                                      > I can think of one, A scouter who that is their most "direct contact"
                                                      position (as they no longer are working at the unit level) and want it
                                                      to be their primary position rather than Member at Large on the
                                                      District/Council committee, which they will then multiple into. To
                                                      multiple to a position, I suspect your primary needs to be a "paid"
                                                      position.

                                                      Nothing in the latest (2009) edition of the advancements guidelines
                                                      (33088) says they have to pay. It states:

                                                      " Register merit badge counselors by using the basic adult registration
                                                      form. All merit badge counselors must be approved by the council
                                                      advancement committee. Merit badge counselors are not required to pay a
                                                      fee if they are only registered as merit badge counselors."

                                                      In our district, we have several volunteers who are registered only as a
                                                      merit badge counselor; no other registrations. They do not pay any fees.

                                                      Paul Y
                                                      District Advancement Chair
                                                      Thunderbird District
                                                      Inland Northwest Council
                                                      Spokane WA
                                                      "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                                                    • Howard Hansen - DC
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                        It was my understanding that the MBC with a fee was because the MBC had no
                                                        other registered position and wanted to get Scouting Magazine. I could be
                                                        wrong, but that is what I was told.

                                                        Howard Hansen

                                                        District Commissioner

                                                        Fox Valley District

                                                        Three Fires Council

                                                        _____

                                                        --- On Mon, 9/5/11, mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>

                                                        From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                                        <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                                        To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                                        <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> >

                                                        > Ah, I am not sure about this. As a registrar, I have seen 3 digit

                                                        numbers and there is 42M for Merit Badge Counselors who pay.

                                                        So if the Adult Application has only two positions, how does one know to

                                                        put three characters there?

                                                        And "Merit Badge Counselors who pay"? What! National's guidelines says

                                                        code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor) is a no fee position.

                                                        Is there a way to see all the registration position codes?

                                                        I have a listing of all the training course codes, but a listing of all

                                                        the registration codes would probably be helpful!

                                                        Paul Y

                                                        District Advancement Chair

                                                        Thunderbird District

                                                        Inland Northwest Council

                                                        Spokane WA

                                                        "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                                                      • R Fisher
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                          Could be just to keep track of people like myself that are registered in
                                                          other positions and are also merit badge counselors. I don't know how
                                                          multipled positions are recorded in ScoutNet, but that was an idea
                                                          especially since the code is 42M (for multipled perhaps?).

                                                          Roy Fisher

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                            No. To multiple some one, the registrar checks a box. In the code list, it clearly indicates that 42m is paid.

                                                            I will check into it this week and find out!
                                                            Marian McQuaid

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Sep 5, 2011
                                                              NOW that makes sense. But I get wary when Scoutnet decides to allow logic.

                                                              Marian McQuaid

                                                              From: mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net>
                                                              <mcquaidfam@... <mailto:mcquaidfam%40comcast.net> >
                                                              To: "scouter t" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com