Mandatory training movement

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
      There are to the best of my knowledge two, count 'em TWO, councils in the US
      that have mandatory training. This means new leaders have six months to get
      the training for their positions or they are dropped from the charters. Still
      welcome to be active as a parent, say, but cannot be registered leaders
      anymore.

      Speaking to a leader on one of those councils I was told that they get away
      with it because their insurance coverage told them they wouldn't cover any
      activity (including unit meetings) in which the leaders were untrained in BSA
      policy, procedure, and activities.

      How do you think we could get OUR insurance coverage to say that? <G>

      YiS
      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
      Training Committee Chair
      NSJ 1997, 2001, Nat'l Health & Safety
      Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
      I useta be an Eagle....
    • Cpaitlres
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
        The liability of manditory training is in the delivery of the training. In
        our council we have many languages spoken here. We would have to deliver
        trainings in all the languages. There is a court precidence in northern
        California about the BSA trainings. The manditory trainng issues are far
        more complex than most of us understand. I had a proposal for manditory
        training ready to go the Council Board. They went to legal and were told not
        to impliment.

        This court case I ehar was at the beginning of this year.

        Rick Kagawa

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
          Rich wrote: <snip> There is a court precidence in northern California about
          the BSA trainings. <snip>

          Really! I'd be interested to learn some more details about this. Do you have
          any more information that you could share?

          BTW, I'll be presenting at your LTC event in November--It would be nice to
          put a face to the name!

          For others out there, LTC is Orange County Council's Leadership Training
          Conference and takes place this year on November 3rd. I attended as a
          session leader last year and must compliment our neighboring council on a
          wonderfully presented, well organized event. If you can attend, I guarantee
          it to be worth your time and effort. Loads of informative sessions, plenty
          of displays and activities, great people and a fun atmosphere. In many ways,
          better run than some of the major Oracle conferences I've been to, and it
          costs less, too. (They don't give away as much stuff, though...)

          Sean Scott
          Training Chairman
          Cub Roundtable Commissioner
          Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District
          Family FOS Chairman, California Inland Empire Council

          WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
        • Cpaitlres
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
            National themselves have a problem with manditory training. This is why they
            have not implimented this policy. The reasons for this have been stated in
            the previous message.

            There really isn't much to share. No manditory training in this council.