Training...

  • MichaelB
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
      All-

      Its interesting to be part of other organizations and see how they handle training as compared to the BSA.

      I'm in Toastmasters. Each Toastmasters club has 7 officers, and districts are responsible for providing officer training twice a year (club have either annual or semi-annual terms, so we have to cover all that). Toastmasters has a 'quality' program, and one of the points that clubs can earn for this is to have at least 4 of their 7 officers trained twice a year. And there is a deadline to achieve this (basically we have a 2 month 'window' to get people training such as it will count).

      Some districts encourage clubs to get ALL 7 officers trained, and may have incentives to do so.

      Officer training must be done live (NO on-line training), and it only runs an hour. How hard can it be to get someone to training??

      Usually districts will run several half-day training events during the training cycle to offer officer training and other training, kind of like 'university of scouting'. And even with these, we have people who miss it, so we are running makeup training to catch as many of the stragglers as we can, and sometimes do one-on-one training.

      Even then you have people who won't take training (huh? its just an hour!). My club will have only 6 of 7 officers training because one won't go. She thinks its an inconvience. She'd rather give up the position (which we have problems getting people to BE officers) rather then be forced to go to training.

      Now, I noted that for clubs to get their quality points, officers must attend training. Even if the person has taken the training previously, they must take it again during the training cycle to count. So we get people who hold a position for several terms feeling they shouldn't have to go to training. (I held a position for several years, but I went to training each time because I knew it helped my club). So there is that attitude as well.

      Michael Brown
    • Robert Koertge
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
        Girl scouts has a pretty simple policy here. You must be trained or your
        not a volunteer. 3 different training are required. 1 must be taken before
        every meeting. 1 within 30 days, and the final within 60 days. Failure to
        do any, and you are removed.

[...]

      • Herb
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
          ya gotta love simple. As a recall they like to have everyone first aid trained to?
          hd

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
            I didn't find that to be true when I was a GSUSA leader. What they require is to have a First Aider on all outings. Preferably not one of the main leaders of the troop so that if that person had to accompany a scout to the hospital the ratios (which is HUGE) would still be in tact...........And I agree that simple works. Even though I may have moaned and groaned about taking "fire building" (Having been on IOLS staff). I wanted to be a leader so I just did whatever was necessary. And no I never said "when I taught it I did it this way"......LOL  Something else I notice, GSUSA doesn't see to be hurting any more than any other organization when it comes to adult leadership and believe me they haven't come close to making it as easy as the BSA has..........
            What that says to me is that if it is mandatory, and there is no backing down, adults will do what is necessary. It is when you give them a choice. As far as I am concerned mandatory training just needs to happen across the country and in a couple of years the newest leaders won't know it was ever any different...........let's just take the leap and get it over with (well as soon as Scoutnet can handle it)
            Connie

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
              Yeah like at Philmont where is mostly the adults that took CPR classes. What are they going to do, give themselves CPR. I guess the first aider on outings was what i was refering to. They were very good at offering the redcross training too.

              Herb D