Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader refusing to take training

  • tttrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 30, 2011
      OK, I took training after coming up through Scouting and earning my Eagle.
      I was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was how a Troop was supposed to run? My
      Troop had no resemblance!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran my first Troop by the patrol
      method and was shocked at how well it worked!!!!!

      I had a ball, and continued to update my training for the next 45 years or
      so. Much of it was as either a trainer in various councils or training
      chair for Old Hickory Council.

      Why? Because you get to meet the most fascinating, nicest folks in the
      world, and you help develop not only youth leaders, but the leaders who help
      them become the leaders of tomorrow.

      You cannot fully deliver the promise of Scouting unless you have been
      trained. Even if you are fully trained, it is a daunting task.

      We attend school/trade school/college to develop ourselves to function in
      the world. Why do we not feel the same obligation for training in Scouting?

      I have very little sympathy for folks who think that training is not
      necessary.

      Tom Travis
      OHC
      Trail Quail (SE-62)

      In a message dated 8/30/2011 10:32:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      whiteley@... writes:

      I agree completely. If you won't take the time to take training, you aren't
      willing to spend the time necessary to provide a quality program for your
      Scouts. Folks, I've been playing this game as an adult for over 30 years.
      Was I offended when they told me that I was trained but outdated back in
      2002? Yup. Did I go ahead and take the new training? Yup. And did I learn that
      a lot of things have changed? You betcha! And even though I earned my Wood
      BAdge beads back in 1985, taking Wood Badge for the 21st Century was
      probably one of the best training experiences I have ever had.

      And one comment about the IOLS test-out. IOLS isn't designed to teach
      outdoor skills to the leaders, it is designed to train the leaders in how to
      train the Scouts in outdoor skills. You have to be sure that if someone is
      going to test out that they have trainer skills in addition to outdoor
      skills.

      YiS

      John
      Vice-Commodore for Training, Central Region Area 4 Sea Scouts
      Training Chair, Tri-State Area Council
      Scoutmaster, Troop 74, Tornado, WV

      Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S., AMS, CCT
      Executive Director
      Workforce Development
      Mountwest Community and Technical College
      4200 Ohio River Road
      Huntington, WV, 25702
      Office: 304-697-5616
      Fax: 304-697-5611