Re: Manditory Training

  • Rick Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2011
      Jim said "(including a 4-6 hour ITOLS test out session for outdoor "experienced" Scouters)".

      This is a reasonable option that if offered should not be a problem for most any leader. A couple times a year schedule a 4 hour "test out" Saturday morning session and be done by noon. That should leave enough time to take care of items on a "honey do" list (etc) that afternoon.

      I have heard plenty of resistance to formally scheduling a "test out" session from trainers that feel to much "group interaction" would be lost. If it means verifying that all leaders know the material, and provides a recordable IOLS completion, it seems to me a good way to go. Those leaders that feel they know outdoor skills and taking a full IOLS (loosing a whole weekend+ in the process) would be a waste of their time should be able to live with a "test out" if they are in any way serious about wanting to stay in the BSA with the mandatory training requirements. I know I would jump at the chance.

      Richard A. Taylor
      gearclash@...