Re: Training Madatory

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2001
      safe swim, baloo, and some other courses are manditory for certain
      activities. Is cub scout basic a pre-req for baloo? If so, wouldn't
      that make it mandatory for some activities *sly grin*

      bill
    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001
        Bill,

        Since the target audience for BALOO is parents who are not Den or Pack
        Leaders, Basic Training is not required for this or any of the other
        courses you mentioned.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001
          I think BSA really missed the boat on their 'descriptive recommended target'
          for BALOO.
          Sure, it's great to 'expose new leaders' to the concepts of outdoor leader
          training. The way it's worded appears to suggest that it's not important for
          'current pack leadership'. That's a shame.
          All leaders, including committee people should have a working knowledge of cub
          camping, even if they never 'hit the woods'.
          YiS
          Lloyd

          Ken Todd wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > Since the target audience for BALOO is parents who are not Den or Pack
          > Leaders, Basic Training is not required for this or any of the other
          > courses you mentioned.
          >
          > Yours in Scouting,
          > Ken

        • Bill Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001
            Lloyd Solis wrote:

            > I think BSA really missed the boat on their 'descriptive recommended target'
            > for BALOO.
            > Sure, it's great to 'expose new leaders' to the concepts of outdoor leader
            > training. The way it's worded appears to suggest that it's not important for
            > 'current pack leadership'. That's a shame.
            > All leaders, including committee people should have a working knowledge of cub
            >
            > camping, even if they never 'hit the woods'.

            Lloyd, I must respectfully disagree with you on that.
            I believe that this is one of the better ideas that the National CS Committee
            has
            come up with.
            The outdoor program is merely a method, albeit a good one, but the the objective

            is not better camping, or even camping at all. The objectives are, in part,
            family
            understanding, fun and adventure.
            When the current leadership of a pack takes on yet another job or
            responsibility, there is a tendency to hurt at least two boys: 1) the son of
            the now overloaded leader who now must sacrifice more of his/her
            family time for the good of the pack, and 2) the boy who could have
            had a parent role model helping make the pack go but won't because
            we let that parent take a free baby sitting role.

            Good pack and den leaders should steadfastly refuse to take BALOO
            training. Force another parent to go.
            --
            Bill Smith
            Sunset Trail District

            The best gift for a Cub Scout:
            Get his parents involved.
            http://www.wtsmith.com/rt.html

          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001

              Bill wrote in reply (in part):
              > Lloyd, I must respectfully disagree with you on that.
              > When the current leadership of a pack takes on yet another job or
              > responsibility, there is a tendency to hurt at least two boys: 1) the son
              of
              > the now overloaded leader who now must sacrifice more of his/her
              > family time for the good of the pack, and 2) the boy who could have
              > had a parent role model helping make the pack go but won't because
              > we let that parent take a free baby sitting role.
              >
              > Good pack and den leaders should steadfastly refuse to take BALOO
              > training. Force another parent to go.

              Ooof! I agree with you both! There's lots of cool stuff in BALOO that goes
              beyond camping and is easily worked into den and pack meetings. In fact,
              many of the leaders that took our BALOO in March wrote on their evaluations
              that BALOO should be mandatory for all leaders, even if they never go
              camping. Others noted that the Planning, Hikes and Games segments should be
              part of basic training, and that BSA is remiss in not exposing every leader
              to those ideas.

              How about some of the pack leaders go and take the fresh parents with 'em?

              Sean Scott
              Training Chairman
              Cub Roundtable Commissioner
              Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District
              Family FOS Chairman, California Inland Empire Council

              WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
            • Bill Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001
                Sean Scott wrote:

                > There's lots of cool stuff in BALOO that goes

                > beyond camping and is easily worked into den and pack meetings. In fact,

                > many of the leaders that took our BALOO in March wrote on their evaluations
                > that BALOO should be mandatory for all leaders, even if they never go
                > camping. Others noted that the Planning, Hikes and Games segments should be
                > part of basic training, and that BSA is remiss in not exposing every leader
                > to those ideas.

                Yes, Sean there certainly is a lot of great stuff there, and I'm sure
                that a good RT Commissioner (names to be unmentioned) will
                see to it that all current leaders get it when they attend RT.
                I know they will RT attend because they only have one job in
                their pack and don't feel that one more night away from home
                is a burden on their families. ;)

                --
                Bill Smith
                Sunset Trail District