Re: [Scouter_T] Uniforms

  • Ernest Schmidt
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 31, 2011
      Thank you Joe , a Great reply, Your will make a great Scoutmaster in the future. E. Schmidt,

      SM,UC

      From: Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...>
      Sender: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:23:32
      To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

      <<I have heard from many scouters that scouts need wear their uniforms (aka, class As) while riding in cars to & from outings. I cannot find any documentation in scouting that says that. It is not in the Scoutmaster Handbook, Guide to Safe Scouting, training materials, etc.>>

      This is one of many "urban myths" that are floating around Scouting. Somehow, people think that making everyone be in uniform, makes an outing an "official" Scouting event. What make an unit program feature (at the regular meeting place or away from it) is that the unit planned it and executed it. Doesn't even take a tour plan anymore, depending on your council.

      There are advantages to being in uniform, but there are no requirements, AFAIK.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Secretary, Crew 849
      Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • A. Dukovic
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3 11:18 AM
        Thanks Fred, "food for thought" is always good for our minds!!

        - Art