Re: [Scouter_T] Introduction To Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS)

  • Mark Liechty
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
      > dowrightbw@... <mailto:dowrightbw%40yahoo.com> writes:
      >
      > Has anyone taught IOLS at summer camp?
      > ############

      The last three different camps I have been to all have a weeklong "Trail to Eagle" programs. Since IOLS is basically the same content (the skills that 1st class Scouts do in the T21 requirements it makes great sense to maybe combine these.

      There are some great advantages here.

      1. Those classes are generally over populated with new Scouts and Jr. Staff..... more adults would be better.

      2. For those Adults who really do KNOW the skills they can help teach providing a better use of their time.

      3. For those Adults who are learning the skills they can do so the same way we expect the Scouts to learn.

      4. The SCOUTS can see Adults learning the skills and it is likely they will see Adults getting it wrong a few times before they get it right. Especially with Knots & Fire and such.

      Hopefully this model will stop some of what I have seen where IOLS has been reduced to a few hours and left new leaders with the idea that all of the T21 skills can be learned in a day. I know that is not the intent but if that is all the time we give to the class it is what we are saying.