Fun ideas for training

  • doublelope@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hey Nadine:

      Have you ever tried using a theme for your training??? That can
      add a lot of pizzazz to your training sessions. You can do the
      obvious "trains". Your name tags are train engine shapes. To
      introduce the sessions, have the name of the session on a "train car"
      made out of poster board. (The engine would have new leader
      essentials or Cub Leader specifics on it). These posters can be
      attached to a rope. You build your train as you introduce the
      sessions. Staff members can wear the striped engineer caps and you
      can make neckerchiefs out of the red or blue bandana material. Get
      the idea???? You can also tie your theme into the flyers for the
      training. (We use the slogan "Been Trained?")
      Some other themes we've used is a spy theme (Mission Impossible
      music to intro the staff). Handouts have a "seal" they break open if
      they accept the assignment to be a trained leader. Hot air
      balloon "Up, Up, Away, with BSA".

      As for presentations, another way to Jazz them up is using a game
      show theme to present the material. Jeopardy works great, as does
      Family Feud.

      Hope these help...and glad you were inspired at Philmont. I know
      what you mean, seeing as we were in the same class.

      Your friend from Philmont,
      Linda Goff
      Great Smoky Mountain Council
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        We take pride in having "phun" training events in our district, especially
        so that ours are more phun than the other districts in our council. I would
        even say that ours are more phun than neighboring councils, but there are
        people here from those self-same councils, so I don't want to upset no-one!

        We use a theme for our trainings, and even incorporate it into our training
        flyers. I think there are a couple examples in the files section. A theme
        means more than just a couple of jokes or a song along those lines--if you
        can't dress up appropriately, you're not having enough phun!

        I think though that the most fun you can put into training is in the
        promotion. If you stand there at RT and monotonously announce training,
        that's what people will expect to receive. If your flyers are dull, that's
        what people will expect from the course.

        A few months ago, we announced our next two BALOO courses in our district by
        (my wife and I) showing up in Hawaiian Scouting shirts. We took a couple
        cheap and incredibly obnoxious Hawaiian shirts and sewed all our patches on
        them, even putting on epaulettes and loops and "Boy Scouts of America"
        strips from an old uniform. Supplement with some flower leis from Oriental
        Trading, and inflatable palm tree and coconut/pineapple table decorations,
        and nobody will forget your training...

        To carry the theme, at the actual BALOO event, people will get leis in
        various colors to match their training dens. The flyer advertises BALOO's
        Hawaiian Getaway. Our campfire, plus all the skits and run-ons, the slides
        and presentations, will all have a South Pacific feel.

        Last year our basic training theme was Cub Scout magic. We demonstrated a
        lot of simple magic tricks that leaders could take back to their boys to
        entertain them.

        Like others, we do run-ons, skits and songs that match the theme for basic
        training, too. We've found in our area that run-ons are the biggest hit.
        Most packs seem to have never heard of them, or didn't know how to use them.
        We put them right in the middle of the longer topics to "break the monotony"
        of one of the drier subjects (like Rules of the Road, which always
        degenerated to a tour permit discussion.) A well placed groaner works
        wonders to keep people going.

        We do an icebreaker. Usually, it's the "Guessing Game" where we put an index
        card with the name of someone famous on everyone's back. They have to guess
        who they are by asking yes/no questions. We try to match people to names
        that don't fit, so the 6'6" 300lb guy gets Minnie Mouse, the quiet young mom
        ends up as Elvis, etc. Training Team gets the cards, too, so we're part of
        the gathering game. Once you guess who you are, you put the card on your
        front and that's who you are the rest of the day...

        The biggest hit of our training is always the candy. We toss candy to people
        that participate. Instant recognition at work. After 30 minutes or so, we
        point out that we're using the instant recognition concept. People really
        get to understand the things that work...

        We try to do a lot of participant participation, breaking people into dens
        and having them work on projects that give them some practical application
        of the topic.

        We do an example ceremony for the leaders as part of the class, whatever it
        may be, and make a big deal out of giving them their trained cards.
        --
        Sean Scott
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."