SM, Venture, Team Leader Specific Webinar???

  • patrick d
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
      Has anyone seen or heard of any trainers doing SM, venture, or team specific as an online learning classroom, blackboard, webinar, or something like that? I am looking into attempting to do something like that for my district and am looking for a good platform or ideas.

      This route would still give the students the ability to have that contact with the trainer and other students during the course without having to travel.

      If anyone has tried it let me know what you used or any obstacles.

      Thanks

      Pat Dulzo
      District Training Chair KI Dist,
      Three Fires Council
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
        I haven't done this, but would be interested in what you find.

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "patrick d" <pdulzo@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone seen or heard of any trainers doing SM, venture, or team specific as an online learning classroom, blackboard, webinar, or something like that? I am looking into attempting to do something like that for my district and am looking for a good platform or ideas.
        >
        > This route would still give the students the ability to have that contact with the trainer and other students during the course without having to travel.
        >
        > If anyone has tried it let me know what you used or any obstacles.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Pat Dulzo
        > District Training Chair KI Dist,
        > Three Fires Council

      • David Vaughan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
          I too am interested in this concept.... It is the 21st Century..we need to use the technology available to get our trainings out there...

          David D. Vaughan
          ASM Program WB W4-30-11-1
          Cubmaster Pack 2810
          Council Training Chair
          Southern Sierra Council
          Area 4 Training Committee
          W4-57-86
          DVAUGHAN@...
          Still a Buffalo....
          I haven't done this, but would be interested in what you find.

          Bill

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "patrick d" <pdulzo@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone seen or heard of any trainers doing SM, venture, or team specific as an online learning classroom, blackboard, webinar, or something like that? I am looking into attempting to do something like that for my district and am looking for a good platform or ideas.
          >
          > This route would still give the students the ability to have that contact with the trainer and other students during the course without having to travel.
          >
          > If anyone has tried it let me know what you used or any obstacles.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Pat Dulzo
          > District Training Chair KI Dist,
          > Three Fires Council

        • Mark Huber
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
            This is an interesting idea. I haven't heard of this being tried in Scouting, but I have seen webinar training being done in my professional career. My experience is that it isn't nearly as effective as on-site, face-to-face training. Since you're doing it "live" you would expect folks to be engaged and ask questions, but in practice this isn't the case. Since you can't see them, the participants can (and will) be doing *anything* during your presentation... reading e-mails, surfing websites, watching TV, disciplining the kids, playing games, etc. etc. etc. and just being generally distracted. Connecting over the Internet doesn't result in that personal contact with the trainer and the other participants, so you don't gain anything there.

            Compared to the "on-demand" training that the BSA is coming out with (recognizing that the specific courses you indicated are not yet available on-demand), I don't see any benefit to a live webinar. On-demand training actually turns out to be better in comparison since participants can watch it at any convenient time and they can pause and rewind.

            Given the three training options - in person, live webinar or on-demand - I'd say that a live webinar doesn't offer any benefits.

            Rebuttals are welcome if anyone has any different experiences.

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "patrick d" <pdulzo@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone seen or heard of any trainers doing SM, venture, or team specific as an online learning classroom, blackboard, webinar, or something like that? I am looking into attempting to do something like that for my district and am looking for a good platform or ideas.
            >
            > This route would still give the students the ability to have that contact with the trainer and other students during the course without having to travel.
            >
            > If anyone has tried it let me know what you used or any obstacles.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Pat Dulzo
            > District Training Chair KI Dist,
            > Three Fires Council

          • Karen Peterson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
              While I totally agree that nothing beats in person training, the advantage
              that a webinar has over the on-demand online training (if it were to exist
              for the classes discussed here) is that there is a person on the other end
              and the trainees can ask questions if they want to. All of the distractions
              mentioned can happen with online trainings as well. It is one more way to
              try to reach the leaders in a way that works for them. I would be
              interested in hearing about any attempts made with using webinars for
              training.

              Karen Peterson

              Cub Scout Training Chair

              Eagle Valley District

              "patrick d" <pdulzo@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone seen or heard of any trainers doing SM, venture, or team
              specific as an online learning classroom, blackboard, webinar, or something
              like that? I am looking into attempting to do something like that for my
              district and am looking for a good platform or ideas.

              > This route would still give the students the ability to have that contact
              with the trainer and other students during the course without having to
              travel.

              > If anyone has tried it let me know what you used or any obstacles.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Pat Dulzo
              > District Training Chair KI Dist,
              > Three Fires Council