Updated on-line Youth Protection

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2011
      With apologies for the cross posting.

      I had occasion tonight to review the Youth Protection training on MyScouting. It has been updated to reflect this spring's changes in the Guide to Safe Scouting in several aspects. In particular, I noticed the following changes:

      From the Guide to Safe Scouting:

      "Mandatory Report of Child Abuse
      All persons involved in Scouting shall report to local authorities any good faith suspicion or belief that any child is or has been physically or sexually abused, physically or emotionally neglected, exposed to any form of violence or threat, exposed to any form of sexual exploitation including the possession, manufacture, or distribution of child pornography, online solicitation, enticement, or showing of obscene material. No person may abdicate this reporting responsibility to any other person.
      Notify your Scout executive of this report, or of any violation of BSA’s Youth Protection policies, so that he or she may take appropriate action for the safety of our Scouts, make appropriate notifications, and follow-up with investigating agencies."

      This statement is included in the online YP.
      . . .

      "Cameras, imaging, and digital devices. While most campers and leaders use cameras and other imaging devices responsibly, it has become very easy to invade the privacy of individuals. It is inappropriate to use any device capable of recording or transmitting visual images in shower houses, restrooms, or other areas where privacy is expected by participants."

      The Youth Protection training states that a device used to take pictures which invade others' privacy is to be confiscated and turned over to the Scout Executive.

      The Youth Protection training has added sections on grooming of victims by molesters, bullying - how to recognize and address it and cyber-bullying.

      It's worth reviewing. I hope the DVD version gets updated as well.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509