RE: [Scouter_T] Re: Limit on number of annual pack campouts????

  • Candace Lewis
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
      I took my group of cubscouts from Tigers to bridging them into boy scouts. As Tigers, Wolves and Bears, we went on three pack campouts per year. (one of those being a council event). We also went to numerous day events in the outdoors and Day camp each year. When the boys became Webelos, we went to Webelos resident camp ( 4 days) and the boys set the goal for themselves to camp out each month. The Webelos camped out most every month. They had a blast. Moreover they were ready to go into boy scouts and prepared for that first summer camp. We tried to make sure the activities were all age appropriate and worked on pins that could be done in the outdoors (i.e. outdoorsman, naturalist, forester etc.) We even had the forestry department come out and teach some of the pins. I think it is important for the boys to get outdoors as much as possible and as much as the leaders and parents are able. Kids today spend too much time indoors and the boys joined scouting to go outside, camp, shoot bb guns, archery etc.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 10, 2011
        I read the comments to my post re Annual Cub Campouts with great interest. My post did not suggest no camping for Cub Scouts. In my post, I stated, "Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program -- a couple of Counicl-level dad (or mom) and lad capouts, a couple of pack family campouts and a Webelos-o-ree each year should be more than enough."

        I stand by that, I should pointout that when I said "outdoor program" I was referring to camping not activities that take place away from an indoor meeting place like a nature walk at the local park.

        I've been at this adult Scouting stuff for nearly 25-years and have thee Eagle Scout son that went thru the entire program. During my approx 10 years as Cub leader, my Pack had Fall and Spring Family Campouts; the 4th grade (rising 3rd graders) and 5th grade (rising 4th grade) WEBELOS attended the Council's week-long Summer Camp; the 4th grade Webelos attended the Fall Webelos-o-ree as day trippers and the 5th grade Webelos attended as campers. In addition, the Pack supported idividual family participation the Council-hosted Fall and Spring Dad-lad/Mom+me campouts, as well as frequent Den day trips (the last became more numerous as the boys moved thru the grades). In the Den of 12 boys, I and my co-leades brought 9 from Tiger Cubs thru Eagle -- that was our measure.

        However, with all that said, I still believe the Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program. Undertake an informal calculation using ALL the Cub Scout Handbooks: set-up four columns, title the first column activity, title the second column camping, title the third column not camping, title the fouth column hikes/visits -- calculate the relative proportions and then decide.

        The Cub Scout program is a "family directed program" much of the Cub Sout program takes place in the home and the Den. The program is aimed at helping the family guide a very young child into becoming a young child.

        -- Dominick Caridi
        Colonial District Vice Chair for Program and Training Chair
        NCAC BCOLS Coordinator
        NCAC Training Committee

      • G.J.
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
          Dominick,

          First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.

          Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.
        • Richard Damon
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
            On 6/11/11 9:52 PM, G.J. wrote:

            > Dominick,
            >
            > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There
            > is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck
            > of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very
            > frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who
            > should know better.
            >
            > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program
            > historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed
            > because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on
            > advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been
            > added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and
            > new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor
            > Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the
            > material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is
            > identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option
            > except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no
            > pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

            I think the distinction being pointed out is that unlike the Boy Scout
            program (which really should be an "outdoor program"), the Cub program
            is not BASED on outdoors. A good Cub program should use the outdoors,
            and take the boys hiking and camping, this aspect isn't woven into the
            core of the program. The mere fact that it IS possible to deliver a half
            way reasonable Cub program without doing much outdoor work (Webelos to
            earn the AOL need to do some things outdoor), shows that the outdoor is
            not a core feature of the Cub program. There are now parts that use the
            outdoors more than before, and packs should be using it in their
            program, but it isn't core.

            --
            Richard Damon
            Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
              Times aren't changing so much here. Most packs in my district, maybe Council, just go to the dad and lad ones, now called Cub-Parent Weekend. There's a Webelos Woods weekend in the spring, and a 3 night Webelos Resident Camp once a year. Our council doesn't want siblings camping so no pack family camping, except during July in a certain area of the campground. So complicated...

              Lisa
              Sent from my iPod

              On Jun 11, 2011, at 9:52 PM, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

              > Dominick,
              >
              > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.
              >
              > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

            • Art Sr
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                Sorry all, need to get my "2 cents worth" please; It's not really about Cob Scouts NOT being able to camp, I think it's very much about "age specific" adventures for both the boy AND their parents.

                All the comments made sense, but we're all tryin to keep youth & their parents in the program and it seems nationally, we've all got a problem with "transition".

                The sentiment is that if Cub Scouts are doing everything that Boy Scouts are doing, what's the "carrot on the stick" for them to become WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive; Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking, in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are required, to be "trained"??

                Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us need.

                - Art Sr. from my iPad

                On Jun 11, 2011, at 8:52 PM, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                > Dominick,
                >
                > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.
                >
                > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

              • Gary Bogart
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                  Really not sure why this is going on so long, but in our area Cubs camp all
                  summer. We go as a pack 3 -4 times and then we have Cub Resident Camp for 4
                  nights and our council has Akela Cub campout and usually something else. Our
                  boys love camping and so do the parents. In fact, they are asking to winter
                  camp also since it is so hot here in the summer. I say, to each his own and
                  until National tells us otherwise, A camping we will go.

                • bobbytoda
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                    Art Sr, I think you've made a very good point about the transition from
                    cubs to boy scouts. Webelos begins to prepare you for the camping part
                    and if you remember, Webelos is the only den that can camp without it
                    being a pack event. The Outdoor Webelos course is not a pre-requisite
                    for Webelos to camp and I can only guess that this is to make sure
                    Webelos can achieve their overnight camping requirement without
                    additional hurdles.

                    I'm a council chair and each year, we have a large IOLS (around 60+)
                    for our ESL Chinese adults and at first, I noticed that 1/3 of the
                    attendees weren't registered. This happens consistently so when I
                    checked into it, I found out that there were a lot of adults taking the
                    course that wanted to experience what their sons would be experiencing.
                    Most were from large cities and they never had the chance to camp and
                    didn't understand what was involved, except for the men who had
                    mandatory military service. I also learned that several of the women
                    who attended were or became assistant scoutmasters and every few years,
                    there would be at least one or two female scoutmasters, which is quite
                    different from the normal demographics in our council. I've changed
                    our IOLS flyers to make it clear that the course is open to scouters AND
                    parents. Who knows? Some may become volunteers after they've learned
                    the basics and experience what camping offers. I've even toyed with
                    holding an Introduction To Camping course for newbie parents just to see
                    if that would increase the number of registered leaders.

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Art Sr <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry all, need to get my "2 cents worth" please; It's not really
                    about Cob Scouts NOT being able to camp, I think it's very much about
                    "age specific" adventures for both the boy AND their parents.

                    > All the comments made sense, but we're all tryin to keep youth & their
                    parents in the program and it seems nationally, we've all got a problem
                    with "transition".

                    > The sentiment is that if Cub Scouts are doing everything that Boy
                    Scouts are doing, what's the "carrot on the stick" for them to become
                    WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                    Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                    certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                    Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                    now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                    camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                    in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                    required, to be "trained"??

                    > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                    "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                    "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                    don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                    a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us
                    need.

                    > - Art Sr. from my iPad

                  • Charlie Hawes
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                      How can we keep the interest of the parent in the scouting program while they are in the Cub Scout stages and beyond.  Here's my experience; I got involved with the Pack - became Cub Master and watched my son go through Webelos.  I tried to stay out of his way and in doing so I got a chance to interact with the parents of the Webelos and was able to get some great pointers.  Most of the parents were ignorant of what their sons were doing outside of the award portion of their scouting path.  Most had little idea of what we were teaching their sons as they progressed through each level of Cubs.  By the time they got to Webelos, the parents became aware that we were preparing them to cross over to the Boy Scout program.  To make a long story shorter - I instituted  "Educating the Parent"program at each level of Cubs. We were able to keep the parents interested by keeping the education process germane to their sons level in Cubs.

                      By the time their son reached Webelos they were ready for the camping experience, and well aware of what the scouting experience should be.  In most cases, the parents were pro-active in our program and was ready to cross over with their sons.  We had fun and so did the parents - we got new leaders and new ideas every scouting year - the Boy Scout program was happy because they got new leaders with the boys (in most cases almost fully trained).  It makes sense to educate the parent and let them know what they can do to encourage their son to continue through Eagle Scout, and what it means to share in the experience.

                      This was a long time ago - I have been in scouting 25 plus years.  I have kept this alive and we are doing it in our district today.

                      Charlie Hawes
                      Sweetwater District Trainer, ADC

                      ________________________________
> [...]

                      WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                      Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                      certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                      Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                      now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                      camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                      in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                      required, to be "trained"??

                      > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                      "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                      "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                      don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                      a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us

                    • Hotmail Rod
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                        Charlie,

                        I like your idea. I think it could be a big help in Boy Scout recruiting and retention in the Cub Scouting program. Do you have any information that you could make available that would help put this in place in my district.

                        Rod

> [...]

                        WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                        Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                        certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                        Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                        now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                        camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                        in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                        required, to be "trained"??

                        > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                        "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                        "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                        don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                        a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us

                      • Charlie Hawes
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                          Rod ,
                          I will need to get to my Cub Trainer - send me the mailing information and we see about getting you the material.

                          Charlie

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                            I would love to see the progression of  the Educating Parents plans as well if you have anything written up......

                            Connie

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                              Charlie,

                              My mailing address is Rod Smith, 7250 CR 140, Findlay, Oh 45840. Let me know when you send it.

                              Thanks for your help.

                            • Gary Bogart
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                                Charlie, Being a Cub Master for 2 years and a former scout, I can see how
                                this would be a great idea. I to would like to get the information and
                                implement this training in our area. I can be contacted at
                                gbogart@.... Thanks for sharing your knowledge and ideas.

                                Gary

                                _____