Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Limit on number of annual pack campouts????

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
      In my opinion a Cub Scout pack should have as many campouts as the parents will allow!! I am a firm believer that if the program is kept dynamic and age appropriate there will not be an issue of "been there done that". National has encouraged packs to go camping more and more with the creation of BALOO. We must keep these kids outdoors!!!
      As for leaders taking advanced training before their scouts are old enough to do the activities, as long as they don't try to implement their training by introducing outings that are not age appropriate or teach them skills they are not ready for I don't think it is an issue.

      Connie

      --- On Thu, 6/9/11, G.J. <gjjudd@...> wrote:
      The days of "Cubs don't need to camp" are gone. There are age appropriate activities for them in the outdoors and those activities do include camping. We need to get them in the outdoors because the Cubs want it that way. They don't want to be in meetings doing crafts. They want to camp, and play, and be in the outdoors.

      As for folks getting training that they currently don't need, I don't see a problem with it. Once they complete the basic training requirements, let them take the courses that they are capable of taking. I wish I would have taken some of the advance training courses when I was younger and had the time. Now I have a bunch of things and don't have time.

    • Candace Lewis

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 10, 2011
          I read the comments to my post re Annual Cub Campouts with great interest. My post did not suggest no camping for Cub Scouts. In my post, I stated, "Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program -- a couple of Counicl-level dad (or mom) and lad capouts, a couple of pack family campouts and a Webelos-o-ree each year should be more than enough."

          I stand by that, I should pointout that when I said "outdoor program" I was referring to camping not activities that take place away from an indoor meeting place like a nature walk at the local park.

          I've been at this adult Scouting stuff for nearly 25-years and have thee Eagle Scout son that went thru the entire program. During my approx 10 years as Cub leader, my Pack had Fall and Spring Family Campouts; the 4th grade (rising 3rd graders) and 5th grade (rising 4th grade) WEBELOS attended the Council's week-long Summer Camp; the 4th grade Webelos attended the Fall Webelos-o-ree as day trippers and the 5th grade Webelos attended as campers. In addition, the Pack supported idividual family participation the Council-hosted Fall and Spring Dad-lad/Mom+me campouts, as well as frequent Den day trips (the last became more numerous as the boys moved thru the grades). In the Den of 12 boys, I and my co-leades brought 9 from Tiger Cubs thru Eagle -- that was our measure.

          However, with all that said, I still believe the Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program. Undertake an informal calculation using ALL the Cub Scout Handbooks: set-up four columns, title the first column activity, title the second column camping, title the third column not camping, title the fouth column hikes/visits -- calculate the relative proportions and then decide.

          The Cub Scout program is a "family directed program" much of the Cub Sout program takes place in the home and the Den. The program is aimed at helping the family guide a very young child into becoming a young child.

          -- Dominick Caridi
          Colonial District Vice Chair for Program and Training Chair
          NCAC BCOLS Coordinator
          NCAC Training Committee

        • G.J.
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
            Dominick,

            First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.

            Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.
          • Richard Damon
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
              On 6/11/11 9:52 PM, G.J. wrote:

              > Dominick,
              >
              > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There
              > is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck
              > of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very
              > frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who
              > should know better.
              >
              > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program
              > historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed
              > because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on
              > advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been
              > added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and
              > new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor
              > Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the
              > material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is
              > identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option
              > except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no
              > pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

              I think the distinction being pointed out is that unlike the Boy Scout
              program (which really should be an "outdoor program"), the Cub program
              is not BASED on outdoors. A good Cub program should use the outdoors,
              and take the boys hiking and camping, this aspect isn't woven into the
              core of the program. The mere fact that it IS possible to deliver a half
              way reasonable Cub program without doing much outdoor work (Webelos to
              earn the AOL need to do some things outdoor), shows that the outdoor is
              not a core feature of the Cub program. There are now parts that use the
              outdoors more than before, and packs should be using it in their
              program, but it isn't core.

              --
              Richard Damon
              Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

            • Lisa
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                Times aren't changing so much here. Most packs in my district, maybe Council, just go to the dad and lad ones, now called Cub-Parent Weekend. There's a Webelos Woods weekend in the spring, and a 3 night Webelos Resident Camp once a year. Our council doesn't want siblings camping so no pack family camping, except during July in a certain area of the campground. So complicated...

                Lisa
                Sent from my iPod

                On Jun 11, 2011, at 9:52 PM, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                > Dominick,
                >
                > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.
                >
                > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

              • Art Sr
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                  Sorry all, need to get my "2 cents worth" please; It's not really about Cob Scouts NOT being able to camp, I think it's very much about "age specific" adventures for both the boy AND their parents.

                  All the comments made sense, but we're all tryin to keep youth & their parents in the program and it seems nationally, we've all got a problem with "transition".

                  The sentiment is that if Cub Scouts are doing everything that Boy Scouts are doing, what's the "carrot on the stick" for them to become WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive; Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking, in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are required, to be "trained"??

                  Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us need.

                  - Art Sr. from my iPad

                  On Jun 11, 2011, at 8:52 PM, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                  > Dominick,
                  >
                  > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.
                  >
                  > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

                • Gary Bogart
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                    Really not sure why this is going on so long, but in our area Cubs camp all
                    summer. We go as a pack 3 -4 times and then we have Cub Resident Camp for 4
                    nights and our council has Akela Cub campout and usually something else. Our
                    boys love camping and so do the parents. In fact, they are asking to winter
                    camp also since it is so hot here in the summer. I say, to each his own and
                    until National tells us otherwise, A camping we will go.

                  • bobbytoda
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                      Art Sr, I think you've made a very good point about the transition from
                      cubs to boy scouts. Webelos begins to prepare you for the camping part
                      and if you remember, Webelos is the only den that can camp without it
                      being a pack event. The Outdoor Webelos course is not a pre-requisite
                      for Webelos to camp and I can only guess that this is to make sure
                      Webelos can achieve their overnight camping requirement without
                      additional hurdles.

                      I'm a council chair and each year, we have a large IOLS (around 60+)
                      for our ESL Chinese adults and at first, I noticed that 1/3 of the
                      attendees weren't registered. This happens consistently so when I
                      checked into it, I found out that there were a lot of adults taking the
                      course that wanted to experience what their sons would be experiencing.
                      Most were from large cities and they never had the chance to camp and
                      didn't understand what was involved, except for the men who had
                      mandatory military service. I also learned that several of the women
                      who attended were or became assistant scoutmasters and every few years,
                      there would be at least one or two female scoutmasters, which is quite
                      different from the normal demographics in our council. I've changed
                      our IOLS flyers to make it clear that the course is open to scouters AND
                      parents. Who knows? Some may become volunteers after they've learned
                      the basics and experience what camping offers. I've even toyed with
                      holding an Introduction To Camping course for newbie parents just to see
                      if that would increase the number of registered leaders.

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Art Sr <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry all, need to get my "2 cents worth" please; It's not really
                      about Cob Scouts NOT being able to camp, I think it's very much about
                      "age specific" adventures for both the boy AND their parents.

                      > All the comments made sense, but we're all tryin to keep youth & their
                      parents in the program and it seems nationally, we've all got a problem
                      with "transition".

                      > The sentiment is that if Cub Scouts are doing everything that Boy
                      Scouts are doing, what's the "carrot on the stick" for them to become
                      WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                      Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                      certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                      Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                      now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                      camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                      in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                      required, to be "trained"??

                      > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                      "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                      "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                      don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                      a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us
                      need.

                      > - Art Sr. from my iPad

                    • Charlie Hawes
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                        How can we keep the interest of the parent in the scouting program while they are in the Cub Scout stages and beyond.  Here's my experience; I got involved with the Pack - became Cub Master and watched my son go through Webelos.  I tried to stay out of his way and in doing so I got a chance to interact with the parents of the Webelos and was able to get some great pointers.  Most of the parents were ignorant of what their sons were doing outside of the award portion of their scouting path.  Most had little idea of what we were teaching their sons as they progressed through each level of Cubs.  By the time they got to Webelos, the parents became aware that we were preparing them to cross over to the Boy Scout program.  To make a long story shorter - I instituted  "Educating the Parent"program at each level of Cubs. We were able to keep the parents interested by keeping the education process germane to their sons level in Cubs.

                        By the time their son reached Webelos they were ready for the camping experience, and well aware of what the scouting experience should be.  In most cases, the parents were pro-active in our program and was ready to cross over with their sons.  We had fun and so did the parents - we got new leaders and new ideas every scouting year - the Boy Scout program was happy because they got new leaders with the boys (in most cases almost fully trained).  It makes sense to educate the parent and let them know what they can do to encourage their son to continue through Eagle Scout, and what it means to share in the experience.

                        This was a long time ago - I have been in scouting 25 plus years.  I have kept this alive and we are doing it in our district today.

                        Charlie Hawes
                        Sweetwater District Trainer, ADC

                        ________________________________
> [...]

                        WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                        Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                        certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                        Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                        now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                        camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                        in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                        required, to be "trained"??

                        > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                        "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                        "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                        don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                        a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us

                      • Hotmail Rod
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                          Charlie,

                          I like your idea. I think it could be a big help in Boy Scout recruiting and retention in the Cub Scouting program. Do you have any information that you could make available that would help put this in place in my district.

                          Rod

> [...]

                          WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                          Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                          certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                          Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                          now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                          camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                          in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                          required, to be "trained"??

                          > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                          "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                          "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                          don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                          a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us

                        • Charlie Hawes
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                            Rod ,
                            I will need to get to my Cub Trainer - send me the mailing information and we see about getting you the material.

                            Charlie

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                              I would love to see the progression of  the Educating Parents plans as well if you have anything written up......

                              Connie

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                                Charlie,

                                My mailing address is Rod Smith, 7250 CR 140, Findlay, Oh 45840. Let me know when you send it.

                                Thanks for your help.

                              • Gary Bogart
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                                  Charlie, Being a Cub Master for 2 years and a former scout, I can see how
                                  this would be a great idea. I to would like to get the information and
                                  implement this training in our area. I can be contacted at
                                  gbogart@.... Thanks for sharing your knowledge and ideas.

                                  Gary

                                  _____