Re: [Scouter_T] fun ideas

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
      Hi Nadine - nice to "talk" to a neighbor.

      What's "fun" for you? I always find that when I do things (singing, run-ons) that "I" think are fun, then my enthusiasm level is much higher - your learners are more likely to have fun if they see their trainers having fun!

      Have a brainstorming session with your training team - come up with 3-4 silly songs, half a dozen run ons, goofy (short) audience participation stunts. Then just plug them in where they feel comfortable. Remember - most of these people will be at training for the first time, so even if all of this stuff feels "old" to you - they probably will never have seen it before.

      Personally, I love to make them sing songs with motions - it certainly takes them out their "comfort zone" and opens them up to new experiences. Creating a group bond of feeling goofy and knowing we all look like total doofuses (doofusi?) creates camaraderie. I notice there is more sharing/interaction between learners after they've engaged in one of these "goofy" exercises. I have a trainer who loves run ons - I'm just the straight man - he gets to deliver the punch lines - oh do they groan!

      Finally - make sure they know you're modelling behavior for them to take back to their meetings. These aren't just things we do to keep the learners awake. This is behavior we want to encourage in the unit - Scouts who are having fun are happy Scouts!

      YiS
      Jamie Dunn
      P.512
      Pack Trainer
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      3 Rivers District
    • zxw55@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
        I've found that participants enjoy watching staff members
        interact and have fun as well. When I was Cub District training
        chair, we had staff sparkler events, that is, when we knew
        the participants would start to drop off, we had preplanned
        "spontaneous" events. The entire staff would start throwing
        pinpong balls around, we had a cow bell, party noise makers
        and usually a continuous running fun banter and walk-ons.
        The entire staff worked as one fun team, like a pack meeting.
        It was rather like a circus atmosphere and we definately
        were the entertainment. At the end remind them of the fum they
        had, and how the Pack meeting should also be just as much fun.

        Good solid training, combined with songs, cheers
        and walk-ons made for a delightful training experience for
        both the staff and participants.

        ... and we had plently of people that wanted to be on the
        training team because they wanted to be a part of the fun.
        It was obvious that we were having a lot of fun, and it
        was obvious that we all believed in the program.

        Go to the new Trainer Development Conference and take
        note of the Pizzazz session. The entire TDC event revolves
        around a race game, with lots of interaction and lots of hands on
        sessions.

        dm