Re: [Scouter_T] Limit on number of annual pack campouts????

  • David Wildschuetz
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
      There is  neither a minimum  nor maximum in the GTSS that I've ever seen.  I'm
      guessing or least hoping you meant a minimum 2 per year and not month.  Once a
      month with the Boy Scouts is plenty for me.

      The GTSS does mention no den-only camping  (except Webelos) and no winter
      camping for cubs, but other than that I would guess that all's fair.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
        As a committee chair of a Cub Pack I had often wondered about having more campouts for the CUbs but was advised against it. I was told to give the Cubs a taste of camping but do not give them so many they get bored with it. Leave them wanting more, more campouts, more activities more responsibility--we want them to join Scouts to get all that.
        Perhaps the two campouts per month was mis-stated as two activities per month e.g a Tiger Go-see it and a Pack meeting, a nature hike plus a Pack meeting, a Webelos campout plus a Den meeting etc etc.

        Dr Mark Sowden
        Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute
        University of Rochester
        School of Medicine & Dentistry
        601 Elmwood Avenue, Box CVRI
        Rochester, New York 14642 USA

        Phone: (585) 276-9790
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
          This is an easy question to answer, read the GTSS (such a restriction ain't there)

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "david_eaker" <scouter@...> wrote:

          > I attended trainers EDGE today. One of the participants stated that the GSS or some other source provides that a cub scout pack may ONLY camp as a pack twice per year (this excludes of course council or district events).
          >
          > This seems to make no sense and I had always understood and taught at baloo that packs should plan a MINIMUM of two camp outs per month.
          >
          > Does anyone have any information on this subject? Amy limit on appropriate camping trips seems counter to the BSA purpose.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > David
          > David@...
          >
          > ....I used to be a bear.

        • A. Dukovic
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
            Unfortunately, there's always the "can't do that" folks we've got to deal with on a regular basis; BSA has very few "can't" but we've got more than enough folks that are more than willing to create "bogus" rules for things they feel

            need to be there, for our onw good??

            Basic guideline should be, is it good for the youth and will it be supported by the parents; if your answer is yes, then go for it!!

            Cub Scouts does not "promo" camping, but does allow it, but it's NOT what what their program is about and WEBELOS, Boy Scouts, and Venturing are; give 'em time, and they'll get there, with their parents.

            -Art

            This is an easy question to answer, read the GTSS (such a restriction ain't there)

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "david_eaker" <scouter@...> wrote:

            > I attended trainers EDGE today. One of the participants stated that the GSS or some other source provides that a cub scout pack may ONLY camp as a pack twice per year (this excludes of course council or district events).
            >
            > This seems to make no sense and I had always understood and taught at baloo that packs should plan a MINIMUM of two camp outs per month.
            >
            > Does anyone have any information on this subject? Amy limit on appropriate camping trips seems counter to the BSA purpose.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > David
            > David@...
            >
            > ....I used to be a bear.

          • Chad Cooper
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
              Indeed the restriction isn't there in G2SS. Asking to see it in writing
              is always the cure for those people. If the unit has a strong camping
              program, I would say "go for it!"

              However, I would encourage some contemplation on the topic of "BSA
              purpose." Think about the concept of ages-n-stages. In addition to
              ability levels (as "appropriate camping" was stipulated), consider the
              program levels.

              It would be a shame for the Cubs to graduate into the troops, look at
              the program and think "is this all there is? Meh. I've been there,
              done that. I'm going to go find something else fun to do." For Boy
              Scouts, camping is just the vehicle (or setting) for teaching skill,
              leadership, getting the boys out of the home setting and standing on
              their own two feet. The young Scouts don't realize this and it is part
              of the growing experience into the senior Scouting levels.

              If the boys are burnt-out on camping, it will make the troop's efforts
              that much more challenging. The Cub Scout leaders should be encouraged
              to see the whole program continuum.

              - Chad
              Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council

              On 6/5/11 2:22 PM, Bill wrote:

              > This is an easy question to answer, read the GTSS (such a restriction
              > ain't there)
              >
              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "david_eaker" <scouter@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I attended trainers EDGE today. One of the participants stated that
              > the GSS or some other source provides that a cub scout pack may ONLY
              > camp as a pack twice per year (this excludes of course council or
              > district events).
              > >
              > > This seems to make no sense and I had always understood and taught
              > at baloo that packs should plan a MINIMUM of two camp outs per month.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have any information on this subject? Amy limit on
              > appropriate camping trips seems counter to the BSA purpose.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > David
              > > David@...
              > >
              > > ....I used to be a bear.

            • Michael Crothers
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
                Getting back at one of the original statements.

                Where in the BALOO syllabus does it say a Pack should camp twice a month?

                Yours In Scouting

                Mike Crothers

                Council Training Committee Chair
                Tecumseh

                and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
                  Nowhere. It doesn't say that.
                  Boy Scout troops rarely even camp out twice a month.
                  Frank

                  --- On Sun, 6/5/11, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

                  Getting back at one of the original statements.

                  Where in the BALOO syllabus does it say a Pack should camp twice a month?

                  Yours In Scouting

                  Mike Crothers

                  Council Training Committee Chair
                  Tecumseh

                • Jamie Niss Dunn
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
                    >Where in the BALOO syllabus does it say a Pack should camp twice a month?

                    I went back and refreshed my memory by consulting the syllabus. It does not address the frequency of pack camping. Nor does the Guide to Safe Scouting, the Den and Pack Meeting Resource guide or the Cub Scout Leader Book AFAIK.

                    Twice a month seems ambitious - unless you are counting Webelos Den campouts as part of the pack program. Even then it seems a lot.

                    The majority of packs I am familiar with camp once or twice a year. I would thnk that the frequency of pack camping is going to depend on leader support and availability, the pack budget, the needs and wishes of the families in the pack, the availability of facilities, and a number of other factors. Every pack will decide on its own the features of its pack program, including enough camping to prepare the Cub Scouts and their parents for Boy Scouting and whet their appetites for adventures to come.

                    Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                    Troop Committee, Troop 509
                    Ham Lake, MN
                    Secretary, Crew 849
                    Coon Rapids, MN
                    Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                    Three Rivers District

                  • Staci Kilpatrick
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 6, 2011
                      When I train, Cub Scout Leaders in particular, I find that the leaders confuse
                      the rules/limitations from their Chartering Organization and Pack By-Laws with
                      rules from National and Guide to Safe Scouting.   I wonder if that is not what
                      is happening with this person.

                      However, 2 campouts per month is not recommended.  It is a bit of an overload
                      for young Scouts and their parents to have to cope with along with school, life,
                      birthday parties, sports, etc.  The long-term issue with this many campouts is
                      that the Scout typically does not continue far into Boy Scouts due to the "been
                      there - done that" feeling of I have been to all these sites so often that it
                      isn't any fun.

                      Additionally, one issue with this thought pattern - LDS Cub Scout Packs do not
                      typically camp out until they are in the 11-year old program.

                      YIS, Staci

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 6, 2011
                        Our council camp provides plenty of opportunities for Cubs to camp, including Fun With Son weekends and in the fall, three or four Halloween weekends and a couple holiday weekends. In the spring there are others - these, plus the district's annual Cub Family Campout (a district-wide event) provide every Cub family an opportunity to get out into the woods at least once or twice a year. Some packs don't have the wherewith-all to camp independently, so the council camp fills that need nicely. Individual families can register so there isn't a unit commitment needed to take advantage of the opportunities. The sheer thought of two Pack Campouts a month is, IMHO, ludicrous.

                      • DSCaridi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 7, 2011
                          For the life of me I can't understand why leaders can't stick with their programs: Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program -- a couple of Counicl-level dad (or mom) and lad capouts, a couple of pack family campouts and a Webelos-o-ree each year should be more than enough.\

                          Me thinks adults want a program that meets THEIR needs not the needs of the "Ages and Stages" of the youth with which they are working.

                          I've seen this propensity over and over again -- Cub Scout leaders signing up to take Powder Horn BEFORE they've taken Wood Badge; in the NCAC we offer Back Country Outdoor Leader Skills (a course designed for adults working with Venturing aged youth regardless of program), the course is aimed at providing skills for treks to back country areas not supported by the BSA ssfety net; every course I have Cub Leaders signing up for the course -- the more honest report that their lookiing for someting ne to bring their Cubs.

                          This kind of performance has got to stop....stop relying on the sea-lawyers reading the GSS and start using some prudent judgment.

                          -- Dominick Caridi
                          Colonial District Vice Chair for Program and Training Chair
                          NCAC BCOLS Coordinator
                          NCAC Training Committee

                        • Mark Huber
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                            The statement "Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program" is not entirely accurate. It is indeed an outdoor program. A quick look at the Age Appropriate Guidelines in G2SS shows how to do it right. Even at the Tiger level, Day Camps, Pack Overnighters and Family Camping are ALL listed as approved.

                            As Dominick correctly states, "Ages and Stages" is how the program is designed to be implemented. One of purposes of Cub Scouting is to prepare them for Boy Scouts; if we never take them camping, then we are not preparing them.

                            Our Pack has been successful with the following model:
                            - Tigers: Day trips, such as short hikes.
                            - Cubs: Overnight cabin camping with the pack; 3-day/2-nite Council resident camp in the summer
                            - Webelos: Overnight tent camping with the Pack and/or Den; 5-day/4-nite Council resident camp in the summer

                            We offer 1-2 camping experiences per year (maybe 3 for Webelos 2). In this way, we ease them (and their Parents) into camping without overwhelming them. Each year brings new challenges and experiences. They cross over into Boy Scouts prepared for what they will be experiencing.

                            And by the way, we always have 90-100% of our Webelos cross over to Boy Scouts EVERY year.

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, DSCaridi@... wrote:

                            > For the life of me I can't understand why leaders can't stick with their programs: Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program -- a couple of Counicl-level dad (or mom) and lad capouts, a couple of pack family campouts and a Webelos-o-ree each year should be more than enough.\
                            >
                            > Me thinks adults want a program that meets THEIR needs not the needs of the "Ages and Stages" of the youth with which they are working.
                            >
                            > I've seen this propensity over and over again -- Cub Scout leaders signing up to take Powder Horn BEFORE they've taken Wood Badge; in the NCAC we offer Back Country Outdoor Leader Skills (a course designed for adults working with Venturing aged youth regardless of program), the course is aimed at providing skills for treks to back country areas not supported by the BSA ssfety net; every course I have Cub Leaders signing up for the course -- the more honest report that their lookiing for someting ne to bring their Cubs.
                            >
                            > This kind of performance has got to stop....stop relying on the sea-lawyers reading the GSS and start using some prudent judgment.
                            >
                            > -- Dominick Caridi
                            > Colonial District Vice Chair for Program and Training Chair
                            > NCAC BCOLS Coordinator
                            > NCAC Training Committee

                          • G.J.
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                              I believe William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt said in the 1970s "Scouting IS Outing." Sorry do not know when exactly he said it, but he did.

                              Previously in the 3rd ed SM Handbook, Green Bar Bill wrote "Outing is three-fourths of Scouting." (NOTE: the quote in the current Boy Scout Handbook is incorrect. Outing is NOT two-thirds of Scouting, just do the math ;) )

                              Green Bar Bill didn't say Boy Scouting, Sea Scouting, Explorer Scouting (at the time of the original quote) or Cub Scouting. He said SCOUTING, and that includes all programs. BP wanted us in the outdoors, and if you look at other Cub programs in WOSM, that is what they are doing.

                              The days of "Cubs don't need to camp" are gone. There are age appropriate activities for them in the outdoors and those activities do include camping. We need to get them in the outdoors because the Cubs want it that way. They don't want to be in meetings doing crafts. They want to camp, and play, and be in the outdoors.

                              My pack has an active outdoor program, and one of my Cubs quit because we were not camping enough. Yep we 3 camp outs scheduled in the fall, and that was not enough for him and his family.

                              As for folks getting training that they currently don't need, I don't see a problem with it. Once they complete the basic training requirements, let them take the courses that they are capable of taking. I wish I would have taken some of the advance training courses when I was younger and had the time. Now I have a bunch of things and don't have time.

                              Jerry Judd
                              District Committee
                              Den Leader
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                                In my opinion a Cub Scout pack should have as many campouts as the parents will allow!! I am a firm believer that if the program is kept dynamic and age appropriate there will not be an issue of "been there done that". National has encouraged packs to go camping more and more with the creation of BALOO. We must keep these kids outdoors!!!
                                As for leaders taking advanced training before their scouts are old enough to do the activities, as long as they don't try to implement their training by introducing outings that are not age appropriate or teach them skills they are not ready for I don't think it is an issue.

                                Connie

                                --- On Thu, 6/9/11, G.J. <gjjudd@...> wrote:
                                The days of "Cubs don't need to camp" are gone. There are age appropriate activities for them in the outdoors and those activities do include camping. We need to get them in the outdoors because the Cubs want it that way. They don't want to be in meetings doing crafts. They want to camp, and play, and be in the outdoors.

                                As for folks getting training that they currently don't need, I don't see a problem with it. Once they complete the basic training requirements, let them take the courses that they are capable of taking. I wish I would have taken some of the advance training courses when I was younger and had the time. Now I have a bunch of things and don't have time.

                              • Candace Lewis

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 10, 2011
                                    I read the comments to my post re Annual Cub Campouts with great interest. My post did not suggest no camping for Cub Scouts. In my post, I stated, "Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program -- a couple of Counicl-level dad (or mom) and lad capouts, a couple of pack family campouts and a Webelos-o-ree each year should be more than enough."

                                    I stand by that, I should pointout that when I said "outdoor program" I was referring to camping not activities that take place away from an indoor meeting place like a nature walk at the local park.

                                    I've been at this adult Scouting stuff for nearly 25-years and have thee Eagle Scout son that went thru the entire program. During my approx 10 years as Cub leader, my Pack had Fall and Spring Family Campouts; the 4th grade (rising 3rd graders) and 5th grade (rising 4th grade) WEBELOS attended the Council's week-long Summer Camp; the 4th grade Webelos attended the Fall Webelos-o-ree as day trippers and the 5th grade Webelos attended as campers. In addition, the Pack supported idividual family participation the Council-hosted Fall and Spring Dad-lad/Mom+me campouts, as well as frequent Den day trips (the last became more numerous as the boys moved thru the grades). In the Den of 12 boys, I and my co-leades brought 9 from Tiger Cubs thru Eagle -- that was our measure.

                                    However, with all that said, I still believe the Cub Scout Program is NOT an outdoor program. Undertake an informal calculation using ALL the Cub Scout Handbooks: set-up four columns, title the first column activity, title the second column camping, title the third column not camping, title the fouth column hikes/visits -- calculate the relative proportions and then decide.

                                    The Cub Scout program is a "family directed program" much of the Cub Sout program takes place in the home and the Den. The program is aimed at helping the family guide a very young child into becoming a young child.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                                      Dominick,

                                      First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.

                                      Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.
                                    • Richard Damon
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                                        On 6/11/11 9:52 PM, G.J. wrote:

                                        > Dominick,
                                        >
                                        > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There
                                        > is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck
                                        > of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very
                                        > frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who
                                        > should know better.
                                        >
                                        > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program
                                        > historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed
                                        > because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on
                                        > advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been
                                        > added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and
                                        > new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor
                                        > Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the
                                        > material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is
                                        > identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option
                                        > except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no
                                        > pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

                                        I think the distinction being pointed out is that unlike the Boy Scout
                                        program (which really should be an "outdoor program"), the Cub program
                                        is not BASED on outdoors. A good Cub program should use the outdoors,
                                        and take the boys hiking and camping, this aspect isn't woven into the
                                        core of the program. The mere fact that it IS possible to deliver a half
                                        way reasonable Cub program without doing much outdoor work (Webelos to
                                        earn the AOL need to do some things outdoor), shows that the outdoor is
                                        not a core feature of the Cub program. There are now parts that use the
                                        outdoors more than before, and packs should be using it in their
                                        program, but it isn't core.

                                        --
                                        Richard Damon
                                        Member of Committee, Troop 302 Arlington

                                      • Lisa
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                                          Times aren't changing so much here. Most packs in my district, maybe Council, just go to the dad and lad ones, now called Cub-Parent Weekend. There's a Webelos Woods weekend in the spring, and a 3 night Webelos Resident Camp once a year. Our council doesn't want siblings camping so no pack family camping, except during July in a certain area of the campground. So complicated...

                                          Lisa
                                          Sent from my iPod

                                          On Jun 11, 2011, at 9:52 PM, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                                          > Dominick,
                                          >
                                          > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.
                                          >
                                          > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

                                        • Art Sr
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                                            Sorry all, need to get my "2 cents worth" please; It's not really about Cob Scouts NOT being able to camp, I think it's very much about "age specific" adventures for both the boy AND their parents.

                                            All the comments made sense, but we're all tryin to keep youth & their parents in the program and it seems nationally, we've all got a problem with "transition".

                                            The sentiment is that if Cub Scouts are doing everything that Boy Scouts are doing, what's the "carrot on the stick" for them to become WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive; Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking, in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are required, to be "trained"??

                                            Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us need.

                                            - Art Sr. from my iPad

                                            On Jun 11, 2011, at 8:52 PM, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                                            > Dominick,
                                            >
                                            > First off, my apologies if I read to much into your statement. There is a very strong "Cubs don't need to go camping" attitude in my neck of the woods. Fortunately that is slowly changing, but it can be very frustrating dealing with that attitude, especially from folks who should know better.
                                            >
                                            > Yes ages and stages is important, and yes the Cub Scout program historically has not been an outdoor program. But that has changed because the Cub age kids WANT camping. While the emphasis on advancement is mostly kids being kids, some outdoor elements have been added to it. Packs are now encouraged to camp as much as possible, and new awards have been create to get the cubs outdoors: CS Outdoor Activity and CS Leave No Trace are two of them. While alot of the material my oldest has done as a Wolf, and will do as a Bear is identical to what I did back in the day, the outdoors wasn't an option except "Dad and Lad weekend" and as a Webelos. No CS resident camp, no pack campouts. No Outdoor Award. So times are a changin.

                                          • Gary Bogart
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                                              Really not sure why this is going on so long, but in our area Cubs camp all
                                              summer. We go as a pack 3 -4 times and then we have Cub Resident Camp for 4
                                              nights and our council has Akela Cub campout and usually something else. Our
                                              boys love camping and so do the parents. In fact, they are asking to winter
                                              camp also since it is so hot here in the summer. I say, to each his own and
                                              until National tells us otherwise, A camping we will go.

                                            • bobbytoda
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                Art Sr, I think you've made a very good point about the transition from
                                                cubs to boy scouts. Webelos begins to prepare you for the camping part
                                                and if you remember, Webelos is the only den that can camp without it
                                                being a pack event. The Outdoor Webelos course is not a pre-requisite
                                                for Webelos to camp and I can only guess that this is to make sure
                                                Webelos can achieve their overnight camping requirement without
                                                additional hurdles.

                                                I'm a council chair and each year, we have a large IOLS (around 60+)
                                                for our ESL Chinese adults and at first, I noticed that 1/3 of the
                                                attendees weren't registered. This happens consistently so when I
                                                checked into it, I found out that there were a lot of adults taking the
                                                course that wanted to experience what their sons would be experiencing.
                                                Most were from large cities and they never had the chance to camp and
                                                didn't understand what was involved, except for the men who had
                                                mandatory military service. I also learned that several of the women
                                                who attended were or became assistant scoutmasters and every few years,
                                                there would be at least one or two female scoutmasters, which is quite
                                                different from the normal demographics in our council. I've changed
                                                our IOLS flyers to make it clear that the course is open to scouters AND
                                                parents. Who knows? Some may become volunteers after they've learned
                                                the basics and experience what camping offers. I've even toyed with
                                                holding an Introduction To Camping course for newbie parents just to see
                                                if that would increase the number of registered leaders.

                                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Art Sr <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                                                > Sorry all, need to get my "2 cents worth" please; It's not really
                                                about Cob Scouts NOT being able to camp, I think it's very much about
                                                "age specific" adventures for both the boy AND their parents.

                                                > All the comments made sense, but we're all tryin to keep youth & their
                                                parents in the program and it seems nationally, we've all got a problem
                                                with "transition".

                                                > The sentiment is that if Cub Scouts are doing everything that Boy
                                                Scouts are doing, what's the "carrot on the stick" for them to become
                                                WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                                                Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                                                certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                                                Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                                                now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                                                camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                                                in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                                                required, to be "trained"??

                                                > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                                                "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                                                "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                                                don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                                                a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us
                                                need.

                                                > - Art Sr. from my iPad

                                              • Charlie Hawes
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                  How can we keep the interest of the parent in the scouting program while they are in the Cub Scout stages and beyond.  Here's my experience; I got involved with the Pack - became Cub Master and watched my son go through Webelos.  I tried to stay out of his way and in doing so I got a chance to interact with the parents of the Webelos and was able to get some great pointers.  Most of the parents were ignorant of what their sons were doing outside of the award portion of their scouting path.  Most had little idea of what we were teaching their sons as they progressed through each level of Cubs.  By the time they got to Webelos, the parents became aware that we were preparing them to cross over to the Boy Scout program.  To make a long story shorter - I instituted  "Educating the Parent"program at each level of Cubs. We were able to keep the parents interested by keeping the education process germane to their sons level in Cubs.

                                                  By the time their son reached Webelos they were ready for the camping experience, and well aware of what the scouting experience should be.  In most cases, the parents were pro-active in our program and was ready to cross over with their sons.  We had fun and so did the parents - we got new leaders and new ideas every scouting year - the Boy Scout program was happy because they got new leaders with the boys (in most cases almost fully trained).  It makes sense to educate the parent and let them know what they can do to encourage their son to continue through Eagle Scout, and what it means to share in the experience.

                                                  This was a long time ago - I have been in scouting 25 plus years.  I have kept this alive and we are doing it in our district today.

                                                  Charlie Hawes
                                                  Sweetwater District Trainer, ADC

                                                  ________________________________
> [...]

                                                  WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                                                  Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                                                  certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                                                  Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                                                  now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                                                  camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                                                  in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                                                  required, to be "trained"??

                                                  > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                                                  "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                                                  "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                                                  don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                                                  a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us

                                                • Hotmail Rod
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                    Charlie,

                                                    I like your idea. I think it could be a big help in Boy Scout recruiting and retention in the Cub Scouting program. Do you have any information that you could make available that would help put this in place in my district.

                                                    Rod

> [...]

                                                    WEBELOS or Boy Scouts folks?? Food for thought; it's the same reason the
                                                    Guide For Safe Scouting is "program specific" on what ages boys can do
                                                    certain activities and is based on the training that leaders receive;
                                                    Cub Scout leaders can now take the majority of their training on-line
                                                    now, and only a single member of the Pack requires BALOO training to go
                                                    camping, so national doesn't encourage Cub Scout leaders, I'm thinking,
                                                    in an non-outdoor focused program as Boy Scout leaders (OLSC) are
                                                    required, to be "trained"??

                                                    > Remember that Cub Scout boys aren't the only ones new to the
                                                    "program", many of their parents are as well, and you don't want to
                                                    "burn them out" too early or let them have bad experiences because they
                                                    don't really know what they're doing?? If you're NOT a camper, "livin in
                                                    a tent" can be a real turn-off for some and that's NOT what any of us

                                                  • Charlie Hawes
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                      Rod ,
                                                      I will need to get to my Cub Trainer - send me the mailing information and we see about getting you the material.

                                                      Charlie

                                                      ________________________________

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                        I would love to see the progression of  the Educating Parents plans as well if you have anything written up......

                                                        Connie

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                                                          Charlie,

                                                          My mailing address is Rod Smith, 7250 CR 140, Findlay, Oh 45840. Let me know when you send it.

                                                          Thanks for your help.

                                                        • Gary Bogart
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                                                            Charlie, Being a Cub Master for 2 years and a former scout, I can see how
                                                            this would be a great idea. I to would like to get the information and
                                                            implement this training in our area. I can be contacted at
                                                            gbogart@.... Thanks for sharing your knowledge and ideas.

                                                            Gary

                                                            _____