Re: New Patrol Method PPT Presentation

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
      Well after a lot of comments and a bit of work, this presentation has been completely reworked. Take a look.
      http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

      > I'm working on a Patrol Method PPT presentation
      >
      > It is here:
      >
      > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
      >
      > Comments welcome
      >
      > The other patrol method tools are here:
      > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
      >
      > YiS,
      > Bill

    • Herb
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
        Please Please Please don't be offended by this. I totally understand the use of powerpoint as an instructional tool and the indoctrination of using it in Woodbadge. However, when ever I make or see a power point presentation this cartoon is ALWAYS in the back of my mind.
        http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2000-08-16/.

        Some suggestions I have heard and heed. Don't give them notes until the end. Though it's a lot more work, use the ppt tools so the audience cannot read ahead on each slide. When you stop for discussion on something they will not be paying attention. Also put some relevant humor in the presenation. Old boyslife cartoon etc.

        Herb D.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

        > Well after a lot of comments and a bit of work, this presentation has been completely reworked. Take a look.
        > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
        >
        > Bill
        >

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm working on a Patrol Method PPT presentation
        > >
        > > It is here:
        > >
        > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
        > >
        > > Comments welcome
        > >
        > > The other patrol method tools are here:
        > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
        > >
        > > YiS,
        > > Bill

      • Art Sr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
          Yep Herb, had the same cartoon in my mind, so thanks for the reminder.

          All, powerpoint is a great tool, I do agree, l but it is also very easily abused; we've all got to remember that everyone, especially our youth, have a "limited" attention span and short, to the point, presentations will have a much greater effect on your audience than long drawn out ones. Breaking these down to "chapters" or "parts" can also help as it draws attention to specific chapters folks may need information on vs. being tortured with enduring the entire show; food for thought please??

          I, and my staff, use powerpoint all the time, and we go one additional step and include the readily available "notes" pages as handouts, so the audience can follow along with what we're trying to get across.

          Again, great tool, but like Herb and Dilbert say, can easy be so overdone it and can easily be use on terrorists as torture!!

          - Art Sr. from my iPad

          On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:43 PM, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

          > Please Please Please don't be offended by this. I totally understand the use of powerpoint as an instructional tool and the indoctrination of using it in Woodbadge. However, when ever I make or see a power point presentation this cartoon is ALWAYS in the back of my mind.
          > http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2000-08-16/.
          >
          > Some suggestions I have heard and heed. Don't give them notes until the end. Though it's a lot more work, use the ppt tools so the audience cannot read ahead on each slide. When you stop for discussion on something they will not be paying attention. Also put some relevant humor in the presenation. Old boyslife cartoon etc.
          >
          > Herb D.
          >
          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well after a lot of comments and a bit of work, this presentation has been completely reworked. Take a look.
          > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
          > >
          > > Bill
          > >

          > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm working on a Patrol Method PPT presentation
          > > >
          > > > It is here:
          > > >
          > > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
          > > >
          > > > Comments welcome
          > > >
          > > > The other patrol method tools are here:
          > > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
          > > >
          > > > YiS,
          > > > Bill

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
            I almost never give out PPT notes as a handout. The PPT notes are for the presenter (me). I have other handouts I give out. They are here: http://www.bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
              Love the idea of putting in Boy Life cartoons!!!

              Could have used them last night when I did a Board of Review presentation.

              Bill
            • Maria
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
                I find getting notes at the end worthless. I get little out of the
                presentation because of taking notes on the important stuff. So I am
                totally overwhelmed. It's a real 'gotcha' moment when they hand out
                the notes at the end.

                "Some suggestions I have heard and heed. Don't give them notes until
                the end."

                Maria Hurley
                Malvern, PA USA