Re: New Patrol Method PPT Presentation

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2011
      Thank you.

      The target audience is Scoutmasters, ASMs, and Troop Committee folks who will be at a Merit Badge Day also for at UoS

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hoffmann <divermann@...> wrote:

      > Good Morning! I'm a longtime lurker first time talker. Bill, I quickly flipped through your ppt presentation, initial gut reaction-looked nice, and thought that letting us know who the target audience is might be beneficial in giving helpful FB. Thanks!
      >
      > Yours in All that is Scouting,
      >
      > Robert Hoffmann
      > Greenwich Council, BSA
      > Council Training Chairman
      > Council Aquatics Chairman
      > Ass't Council Commissioner
      > Associate Advisor - Lodge 427
      > 2010 NJ Aquatics Staff - SCUBA
      >
      > Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
        Well after a lot of comments and a bit of work, this presentation has been completely reworked. Take a look.
        http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

        > I'm working on a Patrol Method PPT presentation
        >
        > It is here:
        >
        > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
        >
        > Comments welcome
        >
        > The other patrol method tools are here:
        > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
        >
        > YiS,
        > Bill

      • Herb
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
          Please Please Please don't be offended by this. I totally understand the use of powerpoint as an instructional tool and the indoctrination of using it in Woodbadge. However, when ever I make or see a power point presentation this cartoon is ALWAYS in the back of my mind.
          http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2000-08-16/.

          Some suggestions I have heard and heed. Don't give them notes until the end. Though it's a lot more work, use the ppt tools so the audience cannot read ahead on each slide. When you stop for discussion on something they will not be paying attention. Also put some relevant humor in the presenation. Old boyslife cartoon etc.

          Herb D.

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          > Well after a lot of comments and a bit of work, this presentation has been completely reworked. Take a look.
          > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm working on a Patrol Method PPT presentation
          > >
          > > It is here:
          > >
          > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
          > >
          > > Comments welcome
          > >
          > > The other patrol method tools are here:
          > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
          > >
          > > YiS,
          > > Bill

        • Art Sr
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
            Yep Herb, had the same cartoon in my mind, so thanks for the reminder.

            All, powerpoint is a great tool, I do agree, l but it is also very easily abused; we've all got to remember that everyone, especially our youth, have a "limited" attention span and short, to the point, presentations will have a much greater effect on your audience than long drawn out ones. Breaking these down to "chapters" or "parts" can also help as it draws attention to specific chapters folks may need information on vs. being tortured with enduring the entire show; food for thought please??

            I, and my staff, use powerpoint all the time, and we go one additional step and include the readily available "notes" pages as handouts, so the audience can follow along with what we're trying to get across.

            Again, great tool, but like Herb and Dilbert say, can easy be so overdone it and can easily be use on terrorists as torture!!

            - Art Sr. from my iPad

            On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:43 PM, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

            > Please Please Please don't be offended by this. I totally understand the use of powerpoint as an instructional tool and the indoctrination of using it in Woodbadge. However, when ever I make or see a power point presentation this cartoon is ALWAYS in the back of my mind.
            > http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2000-08-16/.
            >
            > Some suggestions I have heard and heed. Don't give them notes until the end. Though it's a lot more work, use the ppt tools so the audience cannot read ahead on each slide. When you stop for discussion on something they will not be paying attention. Also put some relevant humor in the presenation. Old boyslife cartoon etc.
            >
            > Herb D.
            >
            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well after a lot of comments and a bit of work, this presentation has been completely reworked. Take a look.
            > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >

            > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm working on a Patrol Method PPT presentation
            > > >
            > > > It is here:
            > > >
            > > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/Patrol_Method.ppt
            > > >
            > > > Comments welcome
            > > >
            > > > The other patrol method tools are here:
            > > > http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
            > > >
            > > > YiS,
            > > > Bill

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
              I almost never give out PPT notes as a handout. The PPT notes are for the presenter (me). I have other handouts I give out. They are here: http://www.bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
                Love the idea of putting in Boy Life cartoons!!!

                Could have used them last night when I did a Board of Review presentation.

                Bill
              • Maria
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
                  I find getting notes at the end worthless. I get little out of the
                  presentation because of taking notes on the important stuff. So I am
                  totally overwhelmed. It's a real 'gotcha' moment when they hand out
                  the notes at the end.

                  "Some suggestions I have heard and heed. Don't give them notes until
                  the end."

                  Maria Hurley
                  Malvern, PA USA