Pack Trainer PS

  • Chad Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2011
      All,

      For those out there doing Cub training, how many of you present the Pack
      Trainer position specific section as-is?

      Last Saturday, I ran my first session (I finally had trainers show). By
      half-way through it, I was starting to get questions like "we're
      supposed to know everything about everything Cub Scouting?" I had a set
      of Pack Trainers that were getting scared away from this new position
      that they had just volunteered. All my enthusiasm was nothing to a set
      of Scouters that saw Scouting about to take over their life. I spent
      the rest of the session excusing the material as "BSA's ideals" for a
      super-trainer.

      At the end of the session I went off script. I outlined the
      responsibilities of:
      - welcoming new families and potential leaders.
      - tracking the training status of their pack leadership.
      - staying connected to all of Scouting's communication channels (RT,
      district newsletters, council publication, Scouting mag)
      - promoting training events and ensuring that their pack stays connected
      to the larger Scouting community.
      do those basic responsibilities and their pack will be far ahead of many
      others.

      Anyone else have a similar experience?

      - Chad
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2011
        I wouldn't be surprise if national's vision of a Pack Trainer was similar to most district's vision of a District Training Chair... someone who has been around long enough to know how the program works.

        Most packs probably fill the position with whomever volunteers to track training records. And let's face it, that is really all most of them do or are alowed to do anyway.

        YiS,
        Bill
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2011
          I am looking for a better way to track our unit leaders training and other awards together without using excel. I found one guys Woodbadge ticket that was a free web based program similar to ones like Scoutmanage/Scoutracks just for tracking leader training, expiration dates & other leader awards (his did a much better job than those). Looked at all the reports online, they were exactly what I was looking for (unfortunately my printer would not work at the time)! Thought yeah, finally, so I inputted everyone's training but went to pull my reports for our Committee Meeting and the site was gone--poof! Does anyone know of another web based program that does this?

          Amanda
          Pack Trainer
          Aurora, CO
        • Mr. Fredrick Scott West
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2011
            Troop master
            Sent from my BlackBerry� on the MetroPCS Network

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2011
              We like the web-based ScoutManage. As web-based software and unlike PackMaster you don't need to load (and maintain) software on the desktop.

              We create signons for all out leaders, we do ALL advancement through the tool (produces a shopping list for the scout shop, and then an "awards to present" for pack meetings. It also now does dues and event fees collection via credit card and paypal.

              Jim Rooney
              Pack 841 - http://www.pack841.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2011
                I second ScoutManage for tracking training, advancements, etc. It also does an email blast to all your families to remind them of upcoming meetings and events. It has really improved our communications as well as record keeping.

                Cindy Pope
                Special Needs Troop 2
                Ozark Trails Council
                Springfield, MO