fun ideas

  • nadinem@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31 8:29 AM
      Hello Everyone!

      I am looking for some ideas to put the FUN into Training. I have
      been a training chair for 3 years, but my training sessions were
      BORING! I just got back from Philmont & got some good ideas, but I
      still need more.

      What things do YOU do to make training fun?

      Nadine Melchior
      North Star District
      Indianhead Council (Minnesota)
    • William Hicks
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31 8:56 AM
        --- nadinem@... wrote:
        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > I am looking for some ideas to put the FUN into Training. I have
        > been a training chair for 3 years, but my training sessions were
        > BORING! I just got back from Philmont & got some good ideas, but I
        > still need more.
        >
        > What things do YOU do to make training fun?
        >
        > Nadine Melchior
        > North Star District
        > Indianhead Council (Minnesota)

        Hey Nadine,

        A few things you can try are games, roll playing, participate exercises where
        they work thru problems or certian situations, etc...

        Basically, anything where they are up doing stuff instead of the trainer
        standing there lecturing them. NOBODY likes lectures!!

        William

        =====
        William Hicks
        281-476-9404
        Pack 268 CC
        Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
        Sam Houston Area Council
        http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268/
        http://host.scouter.com/tx/bayshore/

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Debbie Beer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31 11:35 AM
          When I do a training, I make a point of kidding around. Putting fun
          activities like games and compitions. I try to act like I am having a great
          time, not bored, so the participants have a great time.

          I am also a girl scout leader. Some of my colleges have begun to tease me
          about becoming fluffy because of the differences in girl scouts and boy
          scouts. I took advantage of the nickname and dressed up like a rabbit for
          my next training. It was a nice ice breaker, and everyone knew that I had a
          great sense of humor. That allowed the atmosphere to change to a fun time
          as well as a learning experience.

        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31 6:40 PM
            Hi Nadine - nice to "talk" to a neighbor.

            What's "fun" for you? I always find that when I do things (singing, run-ons) that "I" think are fun, then my enthusiasm level is much higher - your learners are more likely to have fun if they see their trainers having fun!

            Have a brainstorming session with your training team - come up with 3-4 silly songs, half a dozen run ons, goofy (short) audience participation stunts. Then just plug them in where they feel comfortable. Remember - most of these people will be at training for the first time, so even if all of this stuff feels "old" to you - they probably will never have seen it before.

            Personally, I love to make them sing songs with motions - it certainly takes them out their "comfort zone" and opens them up to new experiences. Creating a group bond of feeling goofy and knowing we all look like total doofuses (doofusi?) creates camaraderie. I notice there is more sharing/interaction between learners after they've engaged in one of these "goofy" exercises. I have a trainer who loves run ons - I'm just the straight man - he gets to deliver the punch lines - oh do they groan!

            Finally - make sure they know you're modelling behavior for them to take back to their meetings. These aren't just things we do to keep the learners awake. This is behavior we want to encourage in the unit - Scouts who are having fun are happy Scouts!

            YiS
            Jamie Dunn
            P.512
            Pack Trainer
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Chair
            3 Rivers District
          • zxw55@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
              I've found that participants enjoy watching staff members
              interact and have fun as well. When I was Cub District training
              chair, we had staff sparkler events, that is, when we knew
              the participants would start to drop off, we had preplanned
              "spontaneous" events. The entire staff would start throwing
              pinpong balls around, we had a cow bell, party noise makers
              and usually a continuous running fun banter and walk-ons.
              The entire staff worked as one fun team, like a pack meeting.
              It was rather like a circus atmosphere and we definately
              were the entertainment. At the end remind them of the fum they
              had, and how the Pack meeting should also be just as much fun.

              Good solid training, combined with songs, cheers
              and walk-ons made for a delightful training experience for
              both the staff and participants.

              ... and we had plently of people that wanted to be on the
              training team because they wanted to be a part of the fun.
              It was obvious that we were having a lot of fun, and it
              was obvious that we all believed in the program.

              Go to the new Trainer Development Conference and take
              note of the Pizzazz session. The entire TDC event revolves
              around a race game, with lots of interaction and lots of hands on
              sessions.

              dm