Re: [Scouter_T] Wilderness First Aid

  • Zachary McCarty O.D.
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2011
      You could always reach out to a surrounding Council or ARC council and see if they are offering the class anytime in the near future in your area. Just a thought.

      YIS,
      Zach

      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2011
        Hi Chip,I have been to the PTC and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately that is not an option for me this year. But you did answer the question I had and that was that the Dr I am referring to needs more than just his medical license to actually qualify as a trainer........sigh......back to looking around for a local source and keep after the trainer we do have.........  thanks everyone!!

        Connie

        --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Chip Coy <coy@...> wrote:

        I am not an instructor but found a description of the instructor course at http://www.nwmiredcross.org/Headlines/pictures/Aquatics/WRFAInstructorFactSheet.pdf

      • patrick dulzo
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2011
          you are saying pretty close to what I did.  Have him call ECSI and ask....

          Patrick Dulzo
          815-970-2751 cell

          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2011
            Connie,

            BSA allows for other groups besides ARC to offer and run a valid Wilderness
            FA class.

            See:
            http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.a
            spx

            So beside ARC and ECSI already mentioned. There is a ACA list that they
            accept. Scroll to the bottom of that list linked to ht and under the "HW-1
            part C" section they have a list of other approved providers, looks like
            12-14 others provide it. Maybe one of these is available in your area.

            _____

              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                Hello Connie and everyone else,

                Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                First Aid Course. I wanted to point a couple of things out. To do the
                online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                Class. You must be over the age of 17. The full Instructors Course is over
                8 hours and 35 min.

                Connie were in Michigan are you located. I live in Michigan and may be able
                to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                Robbie DeYoung

                <mailto:fred-scouts%40skrotzki.net> <fred-scouts@...

                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                  Hi Robbie, I am in Farmington Michigan, just outside of Detroit. I would entertain trying to put something together if you want to get hold of me off line.
                  Here is something I have learned as well (and you confirmed it). My foot dragging ARC scouter thinks she can take the instructor course in a matter of an hour or so and then throw this training together.........sigh............. seems like she will have to make a bigger commitment than she had planned..............

                  Connie

                  --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Robbie DeYoung <cubscout01@...> wrote:
                  Hello Connie and everyone else,

                  Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                  First Aid Course.  I wanted to point a couple of things out.  To do the
                  online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                  Class.  You must be over the age of 17.  The full Instructors Course is over
                  8 hours and 35 min.

                  Connie were in Michigan are you located.  I live in Michigan and may be able
                  to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                • scouterdadchris
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                    You need to get rid of the space in the .aspx at the end to get to the right page:
                    http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.aspx

                    -Chris