Re: [Scouter_T] Wilderness First Aid

  • Chip Coy
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2011
      I am not an instructor but found a description of the instructor course at http://www.nwmiredcross.org/Headlines/pictures/Aquatics/WRFAInstructorFactSheet.pdf

      Prerequisites
      Be at least 17 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of the course ␣ Possess a Fundamentals of Instructor Training certificate issued within the last year or possess a current Health and Safety Services instructor authorization ␣ Possess a valid basic-level American Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid certification or equivalent wilderness first aid training from another agency, such as American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI), Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI), Mountaineers, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), National Ski Patrol, Remote Medical International (RMI), Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO), Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) or Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI)

      YIS,
      Chip.

      On May 4, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Connie Knie wrote:

      > Hello allWho is qualified to take Wilderness FA? Do you have to have ARC training or can you be a doctor? I know that if you are considered qualified you then have to take an on line training to teach the actual class but I was wondering who would qualify to take the training to be a trainer? Ok convoluted enough??
      > Thanks
      >
      > Connie

    • Chip Coy
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2011
        The Philmont Training Center has WFA and WFA Instructor classes this year - http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/PTC/conferences2011.aspx . It's easy to overlook the PTC as a training resource since most people only think Trek when they think of Philmont. The PTC is one of the nicer training environments I've seen and it is very family friendly.

        (if you decide to go please let me know, I'm working on my PTC Knot - I just need another person to go to the PTC based on my recommendation)

        Chip.
        July 31-August 6

        On May 4, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Connie Knie wrote:

        > That is really the answer I needed. You have to be a Red Cross Trainer in order to take the online class to be certified to teach the class. You can't be a medical doctor?? My dilemma is that our current Red Cross Trainer seems less than motivated to take the on line class and hold the class necessary for our adults to go to Philmont...........frustrating.........
        >
        > Connie
        >
        > --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Hotmail Rod <owlelope@...> wrote:Connie,
        > I am an ARC Wilderness First Aid Instructor. Anyone can take the actual WFA
        > course as long as they are 14 and have CPR certification. Anyone that is a
        > certified Red Cross Trainer can teach the WFA course. You have to take the
        > WFA instructor course which is an online course.

      • Zachary McCarty O.D.
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2011
          You could always reach out to a surrounding Council or ARC council and see if they are offering the class anytime in the near future in your area. Just a thought.

          YIS,
          Zach

          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2011
            Hi Chip,I have been to the PTC and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately that is not an option for me this year. But you did answer the question I had and that was that the Dr I am referring to needs more than just his medical license to actually qualify as a trainer........sigh......back to looking around for a local source and keep after the trainer we do have.........  thanks everyone!!

            Connie

            --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Chip Coy <coy@...> wrote:

            I am not an instructor but found a description of the instructor course at http://www.nwmiredcross.org/Headlines/pictures/Aquatics/WRFAInstructorFactSheet.pdf

          • patrick dulzo
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2011
              you are saying pretty close to what I did.  Have him call ECSI and ask....

              Patrick Dulzo
              815-970-2751 cell

              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                Connie,

                BSA allows for other groups besides ARC to offer and run a valid Wilderness
                FA class.

                See:
                http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.a
                spx

                So beside ARC and ECSI already mentioned. There is a ACA list that they
                accept. Scroll to the bottom of that list linked to ht and under the "HW-1
                part C" section they have a list of other approved providers, looks like
                12-14 others provide it. Maybe one of these is available in your area.

                _____

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                    Hello Connie and everyone else,

                    Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                    First Aid Course. I wanted to point a couple of things out. To do the
                    online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                    Class. You must be over the age of 17. The full Instructors Course is over
                    8 hours and 35 min.

                    Connie were in Michigan are you located. I live in Michigan and may be able
                    to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                    Robbie DeYoung

                    <mailto:fred-scouts%40skrotzki.net> <fred-scouts@...

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                      Hi Robbie, I am in Farmington Michigan, just outside of Detroit. I would entertain trying to put something together if you want to get hold of me off line.
                      Here is something I have learned as well (and you confirmed it). My foot dragging ARC scouter thinks she can take the instructor course in a matter of an hour or so and then throw this training together.........sigh............. seems like she will have to make a bigger commitment than she had planned..............

                      Connie

                      --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Robbie DeYoung <cubscout01@...> wrote:
                      Hello Connie and everyone else,

                      Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                      First Aid Course.  I wanted to point a couple of things out.  To do the
                      online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                      Class.  You must be over the age of 17.  The full Instructors Course is over
                      8 hours and 35 min.

                      Connie were in Michigan are you located.  I live in Michigan and may be able
                      to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                    • scouterdadchris
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                        You need to get rid of the space in the .aspx at the end to get to the right page:
                        http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.aspx

                        -Chris