Re: [Scouter_T] Wilderness First Aid

  • Chip Coy
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2011
      I am not an instructor but found a description of the instructor course at http://www.nwmiredcross.org/Headlines/pictures/Aquatics/WRFAInstructorFactSheet.pdf

      Prerequisites
      Be at least 17 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of the course ␣ Possess a Fundamentals of Instructor Training certificate issued within the last year or possess a current Health and Safety Services instructor authorization ␣ Possess a valid basic-level American Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid certification or equivalent wilderness first aid training from another agency, such as American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI), Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI), Mountaineers, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), National Ski Patrol, Remote Medical International (RMI), Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO), Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) or Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI)

      YIS,
      Chip.

      On May 4, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Connie Knie wrote:

      > Hello allWho is qualified to take Wilderness FA? Do you have to have ARC training or can you be a doctor? I know that if you are considered qualified you then have to take an on line training to teach the actual class but I was wondering who would qualify to take the training to be a trainer? Ok convoluted enough??
      > Thanks
      >
      > Connie

    • Chip Coy
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2011
        The Philmont Training Center has WFA and WFA Instructor classes this year - http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/PTC/conferences2011.aspx . It's easy to overlook the PTC as a training resource since most people only think Trek when they think of Philmont. The PTC is one of the nicer training environments I've seen and it is very family friendly.

        (if you decide to go please let me know, I'm working on my PTC Knot - I just need another person to go to the PTC based on my recommendation)

        Chip.
        July 31-August 6

        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2011
          Yes this ARC trainer is a scouter just a very unorganized one and it is making me nervous not to have this nailed down. Our trip is not in jeopardy as the other adult who is going is an MD, but if something were to happen at the last minute to him and he can't go then we are in possible trouble.......hence the reason I want us all trained.........and was hoping he could do this for us and we wouldn't need to depend on this other person.........

          Connie

          --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Hotmail Rod <owlelope@...> wrote:Connie,
           Hopefully he is not a Scouter.   It is too bad
          you can't get an instructor since it is required for Philmont.

          I would recommend that you get a Scouter certified as an ARC trainer.  This
          person could be an Authorized Provider for the Boy Scouts and therefore save
          you some money on the course.

        • Zachary McCarty O.D.
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2011
            You could always reach out to a surrounding Council or ARC council and see if they are offering the class anytime in the near future in your area. Just a thought.

            YIS,
            Zach

            On May 4, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Connie Knie wrote:

            > Yes this ARC trainer is a scouter just a very unorganized one and it is making me nervous not to have this nailed down. Our trip is not in jeopardy as the other adult who is going is an MD, but if something were to happen at the last minute to him and he can't go then we are in possible trouble.......hence the reason I want us all trained.........and was hoping he could do this for us and we wouldn't need to depend on this other person.........
            >
            > Connie
            >
            > --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Hotmail Rod <owlelope@...> wrote:Connie,
            > Hopefully he is not a Scouter. It is too bad
            > you can't get an instructor since it is required for Philmont.
            >
            > I would recommend that you get a Scouter certified as an ARC trainer. This
            > person could be an Authorized Provider for the Boy Scouts and therefore save
            > you some money on the course.

          • Hotmail Rod
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2011
              Connie,

              You might check with your local Red Cross to see what they can do for you.

              Rod

              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                You may also want to take a look at ECSI (Emergency Care and Safety Institute)  They are the group that teaches the train the trainer at PTC.  I also teach WFA for them.  You need to sit through the online instructor course and you send all of your qualifications to them and a list of what you would like to teach and they evaluate your experience and let you know what you can teach.

                If you are already an instructor for AHA or ARC for example and have taken a core instructor type course they may waive the core course requirement as they did for me.

                For me being a paramedic and an AHA instructor, it was an easy process.

                Patrick Dulzo
                815-970-2751 cell

                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                  I doubt seriously that I am qualified to have anything waived and I don't honestly know if our Dr has the time to go through all that is necessary to be qualified. I was hoping that his medical license was enough to allow him to take the online trainer course that is needed...unless I am just saying the same thing you just did.........getting pretty tired and frustrated.......LOL

                  Connie

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                      Hi Chip,I have been to the PTC and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately that is not an option for me this year. But you did answer the question I had and that was that the Dr I am referring to needs more than just his medical license to actually qualify as a trainer........sigh......back to looking around for a local source and keep after the trainer we do have.........  thanks everyone!!

                      Connie

                      --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Chip Coy <coy@...> wrote:

                      I am not an instructor but found a description of the instructor course at http://www.nwmiredcross.org/Headlines/pictures/Aquatics/WRFAInstructorFactSheet.pdf

                    • patrick dulzo
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                        you are saying pretty close to what I did.  Have him call ECSI and ask....

                        Patrick Dulzo
                        815-970-2751 cell

                      • fred-scouts@skrotzki.net
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                          Connie,

                          BSA allows for other groups besides ARC to offer and run a valid Wilderness
                          FA class.

                          See:
                          http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.a
                          spx

                          So beside ARC and ECSI already mentioned. There is a ACA list that they
                          accept. Scroll to the bottom of that list linked to ht and under the "HW-1
                          part C" section they have a list of other approved providers, looks like
                          12-14 others provide it. Maybe one of these is available in your area.

                          _____

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                              Hello Connie and everyone else,

                              Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                              First Aid Course. I wanted to point a couple of things out. To do the
                              online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                              Class. You must be over the age of 17. The full Instructors Course is over
                              8 hours and 35 min.

                              Connie were in Michigan are you located. I live in Michigan and may be able
                              to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                              Robbie DeYoung

                              <mailto:fred-scouts%40skrotzki.net> <fred-scouts@...

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                                Hi Robbie, I am in Farmington Michigan, just outside of Detroit. I would entertain trying to put something together if you want to get hold of me off line.
                                Here is something I have learned as well (and you confirmed it). My foot dragging ARC scouter thinks she can take the instructor course in a matter of an hour or so and then throw this training together.........sigh............. seems like she will have to make a bigger commitment than she had planned..............

                                Connie

                                --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Robbie DeYoung <cubscout01@...> wrote:
                                Hello Connie and everyone else,

                                Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                                First Aid Course.  I wanted to point a couple of things out.  To do the
                                online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                                Class.  You must be over the age of 17.  The full Instructors Course is over
                                8 hours and 35 min.

                                Connie were in Michigan are you located.  I live in Michigan and may be able
                                to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                              • scouterdadchris
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                                  You need to get rid of the space in the .aspx at the end to get to the right page:
                                  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.aspx

                                  -Chris