Re: [Scouter_T] Wilderness First Aid

  • Chip Coy
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2011
      I am not an instructor but found a description of the instructor course at http://www.nwmiredcross.org/Headlines/pictures/Aquatics/WRFAInstructorFactSheet.pdf

      Prerequisites
      Be at least 17 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of the course ␣ Possess a Fundamentals of Instructor Training certificate issued within the last year or possess a current Health and Safety Services instructor authorization ␣ Possess a valid basic-level American Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid certification or equivalent wilderness first aid training from another agency, such as American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI), Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI), Mountaineers, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), National Ski Patrol, Remote Medical International (RMI), Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO), Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) or Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI)

      YIS,
      Chip.

      On May 4, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Connie Knie wrote:

      > Hello allWho is qualified to take Wilderness FA? Do you have to have ARC training or can you be a doctor? I know that if you are considered qualified you then have to take an on line training to teach the actual class but I was wondering who would qualify to take the training to be a trainer? Ok convoluted enough??
      > Thanks
      >
      > Connie

    • Chris Pearson
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2011
        Addendum: you can be a medical doctor and a WFA course. I am a WEMT (and the
        lower level certs) instructor, and I have doctors and surgeons, come through
        my courses all the time.

        --
        Walking Softly,
        Chris Pearson

      • Hotmail Rod
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2011
          Connie,

          The online class is not too challenging. The actual WFA course is pretty
          intense as it is a full 16 hour course. It is very skilled oriented. I am
          doing CPR on Friday night and then WFA on Saturday during the day and
          evening and then on Sunday until completed. It is very demanding on an
          instructor so I can appreciate his reluctancy, to teach the class but it is
          too bad he won't cooperate. Hopefully he is not a Scouter. It is too bad
          you can't get an instructor since it is required for Philmont.

          I would recommend that you get a Scouter certified as an ARC trainer. This
          person could be an Authorized Provider for the Boy Scouts and therefore save
          you some money on the course.

          My course costs $ 30 and includes the CPR and WFA certification and
          appropriate participants materials. The participants need to provide their
          own food and there is no charge for the use of the Scout Camp.

          Rod

          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2011
            I was hoping that the doctor we have as one of our crew members this summer would qualify as a trainer so that he could take the online course and then teach the rest of us. I will be at Philmont hiking so taking the course there is out of the question.........

            Connie

            --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Chris Pearson <ChristopherCPearson@...> wrote:It depends on who you take it trough. ARC is probably the easiest  to get
            your hands on. Some providers require that you be 16 to take WFA. Philmont
            is also now offering this course, and you come out as an instructor as well.
            Its worth checking the Philmotn TC website, and then also seeing if your
            council will spring for the training.

              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                The Philmont Training Center has WFA and WFA Instructor classes this year - http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/PTC/conferences2011.aspx . It's easy to overlook the PTC as a training resource since most people only think Trek when they think of Philmont. The PTC is one of the nicer training environments I've seen and it is very family friendly.

                (if you decide to go please let me know, I'm working on my PTC Knot - I just need another person to go to the PTC based on my recommendation)

                Chip.
                July 31-August 6

                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                  Yes this ARC trainer is a scouter just a very unorganized one and it is making me nervous not to have this nailed down. Our trip is not in jeopardy as the other adult who is going is an MD, but if something were to happen at the last minute to him and he can't go then we are in possible trouble.......hence the reason I want us all trained.........and was hoping he could do this for us and we wouldn't need to depend on this other person.........

                  Connie

                  --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Hotmail Rod <owlelope@...> wrote:Connie,
                   Hopefully he is not a Scouter.   It is too bad
                  you can't get an instructor since it is required for Philmont.

                  I would recommend that you get a Scouter certified as an ARC trainer.  This
                  person could be an Authorized Provider for the Boy Scouts and therefore save
                  you some money on the course.

                • Zachary McCarty O.D.
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                    You could always reach out to a surrounding Council or ARC council and see if they are offering the class anytime in the near future in your area. Just a thought.

                    YIS,
                    Zach

                    On May 4, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Connie Knie wrote:

                    > Yes this ARC trainer is a scouter just a very unorganized one and it is making me nervous not to have this nailed down. Our trip is not in jeopardy as the other adult who is going is an MD, but if something were to happen at the last minute to him and he can't go then we are in possible trouble.......hence the reason I want us all trained.........and was hoping he could do this for us and we wouldn't need to depend on this other person.........
                    >
                    > Connie
                    >
                    > --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Hotmail Rod <owlelope@...> wrote:Connie,
                    > Hopefully he is not a Scouter. It is too bad
                    > you can't get an instructor since it is required for Philmont.
                    >
                    > I would recommend that you get a Scouter certified as an ARC trainer. This
                    > person could be an Authorized Provider for the Boy Scouts and therefore save
                    > you some money on the course.

                  • Hotmail Rod
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                      Connie,

                      You might check with your local Red Cross to see what they can do for you.

                      Rod

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                        You may also want to take a look at ECSI (Emergency Care and Safety Institute)  They are the group that teaches the train the trainer at PTC.  I also teach WFA for them.  You need to sit through the online instructor course and you send all of your qualifications to them and a list of what you would like to teach and they evaluate your experience and let you know what you can teach.

                        If you are already an instructor for AHA or ARC for example and have taken a core instructor type course they may waive the core course requirement as they did for me.

                        For me being a paramedic and an AHA instructor, it was an easy process.

                        Patrick Dulzo
                        815-970-2751 cell

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                          I doubt seriously that I am qualified to have anything waived and I don't honestly know if our Dr has the time to go through all that is necessary to be qualified. I was hoping that his medical license was enough to allow him to take the online trainer course that is needed...unless I am just saying the same thing you just did.........getting pretty tired and frustrated.......LOL

                          Connie

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                              Hi Chip,I have been to the PTC and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately that is not an option for me this year. But you did answer the question I had and that was that the Dr I am referring to needs more than just his medical license to actually qualify as a trainer........sigh......back to looking around for a local source and keep after the trainer we do have.........  thanks everyone!!

                              Connie

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                                you are saying pretty close to what I did.  Have him call ECSI and ask....

                                Patrick Dulzo
                                815-970-2751 cell

                              • fred-scouts@skrotzki.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                                  Connie,

                                  BSA allows for other groups besides ARC to offer and run a valid Wilderness
                                  FA class.

                                  See:
                                  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.a
                                  spx

                                  So beside ARC and ECSI already mentioned. There is a ACA list that they
                                  accept. Scroll to the bottom of that list linked to ht and under the "HW-1
                                  part C" section they have a list of other approved providers, looks like
                                  12-14 others provide it. Maybe one of these is available in your area.

                                  _____

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 4, 2011
                                      Hello Connie and everyone else,

                                      Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                                      First Aid Course. I wanted to point a couple of things out. To do the
                                      online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                                      Class. You must be over the age of 17. The full Instructors Course is over
                                      8 hours and 35 min.

                                      Connie were in Michigan are you located. I live in Michigan and may be able
                                      to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                                      Robbie DeYoung

                                      <mailto:fred-scouts%40skrotzki.net> <fred-scouts@...

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                                        Hi Robbie, I am in Farmington Michigan, just outside of Detroit. I would entertain trying to put something together if you want to get hold of me off line.
                                        Here is something I have learned as well (and you confirmed it). My foot dragging ARC scouter thinks she can take the instructor course in a matter of an hour or so and then throw this training together.........sigh............. seems like she will have to make a bigger commitment than she had planned..............

                                        Connie

                                        --- On Wed, 5/4/11, Robbie DeYoung <cubscout01@...> wrote:
                                        Hello Connie and everyone else,

                                        Being a Red Cross Instructor that has crossed over to teach the Wilderness
                                        First Aid Course.  I wanted to point a couple of things out.  To do the
                                        online crossover you must hold a current certification to teach a Red Cross
                                        Class.  You must be over the age of 17.  The full Instructors Course is over
                                        8 hours and 35 min.

                                        Connie were in Michigan are you located.  I live in Michigan and may be able
                                        to set up a course depending on all of the timing.

                                      • scouterdadchris
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                                          You need to get rid of the space in the .aspx at the end to get to the right page:
                                          http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Training/wilderness_fa.aspx

                                          -Chris