RE: [Scouter_T] Scoutmaster Conferences/Boards of Review

  • Alan Smason
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 8:22 AM
      Dave,
      I referenced this from several sources, most of which came from
      specific council websites and I am not sure that it's necessary to recite
      scripture and verse as to where they came.. Nevertheless, I believe your
      placing a percentage of 90% is somewhat unfair. Both the Scoutmaster
      Conference and the Board of Review are important tools for both Scoutmasters
      and Troop Committee members. I don't believe that my emphasis is charting
      new ground, though.
      The Scoutmaster has always determined the readiness of a Scout prior to
      a Board of Review. The Board of Review has always had room to make a
      determination on their own, but generally shouldn't turn down a candidate
      unless they can ascertain that the Scout is, in their opinion, not ready or
      unworthy to attain the rank advancement at that juncture. That process
      should be expedited if the Scoutmaster does his job and properly conducts a
      thorough conference before sending the Scout on to a Board of Review. As the
      PowerPoint stated, the Scoutmaster should never be fearful of the
      consequences and reluctantly pass the Scout on with the hope that the Board
      of Review would "lower the boom" on the Scout.
      If I were going to assign a percentage to the Scoutmaster Conference,
      though, it would probably be closer to 65% to the Scoutmaster. The Board of
      Review does carry a great deal of weight.

      Best regards in Scouting,

      Alan Smason

      _____