Re: (Boy Scout Leader) Once Trained, Always Trained ???

  • BubbaGump
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 4 7:59 AM
      OK so i guess i was a bad boy, my DE said he'd get back to me so i sent an e-mail to the council training person asking him for my unit's "Trained" / "Not Trained" report - here's a paste of his reply

      "Unfortunately there is not a single report at this time that gives you that information. I do know that our National office folks are working on that as part of our new membership management software."

      So who's right here - I have seen many references in this group to the reports I mentioned in my e-mail but the council says they don't exist . . . I am so frustrated.

      R. Underwood - so-to-be EX-training chair

      > > Mar 31, 2011 08:20:23 AM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > >

      > > I know the topic of who's trained and who's not has been around a little while, and the records can be completely messed up. When I was training chair 6 years ago and got my first training report, only 5 people were considered trained, and I and others, one of whom was on PTC staff, were not on the list. We conducted a training survey to fix the matter.
      > >

      > > Some things I was advised to do by my DE at the time were the following.
      > >

      > > 1) Have trainers also register at courses they are teaching, so they get credit for the class, and the SCOUTNET algorithm will list them as trained. So every time I do a course, I and staff are also listed as students
      > >

      > > 2)If an older code does not allow a person to be considered trained, use the new code, but with the original date, and note the original course name on the report I turned in to the registrar.
      > >

      > > 3) If training knots were awarded, made sure they were listed on the SCOUTNET report. At one time the various Training Awards had codes attached to them. I do not see any of them on the current list of codes on SCOUTING.ORG that way if there are any problems, by stating the award was earned on XYZ date, you know training has been completed.
      > >

      > > 4) Probably preaching to the choir on this one, but make sure you tell your staff that they keep copies of their records. I moved into 5 councils in a 7 year period, and although SCOUTNET is suppose to make your records transferable, that didn't happen.
      > >

      > > 5) Finally, make sure your pro's get on those training reports and they get cards for any training they attend or teach. I know some councils do not do that, and when they become volunteers again, it really messes up their records.

    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 4 9:36 PM
        Michael Crothers wrote:

        > When did BSA start Charter Rep training?

        The old name for a Charter Rep (COR) was "IR" -- Institutional Rep.
        My father was one when I was a Scout, and he took training for
        the position at the time. This was in the late 50's or early 60's.

        I have a lot of his old training material from that time. While
        it's amazing how much has changed in the program, it's also amazing
        how much really hasn't changed -- that untrained leaders are _still_
        doing _WRONG_.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        District Committee Member at Large
        -- Stephen R. Covey