Re: Once Trained, Always Trained ???

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 3, 2011
      Venturing has enough significant differences from Exploring that for the Youth's sake, the leaders need to take Venturing Specific.

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

      > Now I am going to throw curve ball on this topic.
      >
      > Back in the day I took the Explorer Basic Leader Training (Self Study) course prior to the Exploring/Venturing split in August 1998, and was a "trained" leader. At the National Leadership Training Conference, aka "All Hands Conference" for pros that unveiled Venturing, the then national director for Venturing, Charles Holmes' predecessor, stated that those that were trained as Explorer leaders would still be considered trained Venturing leaders as we were grandfathered in.
      >
      > But now I am told that BSA no longer recognizes either the EBLT or EBLT(SS)courses as valid training for Venturing leaders. This despite there being codes for it in SCOUTNET. So the grandfathering doesn't count, despite keeping current with the info on that program.
      >
      > And as someone else mentioned, SCOUTNET did not transfer my records from council to council.
      >
      > So make sure to tell those in your classes to keep track of your records, keep up to date with the new course's names they the course they took replaced, and apply for the various knots,as they is another way of confirming training.

    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 4, 2011
        Michael Crothers wrote:

        > When did BSA start Charter Rep training?

        The old name for a Charter Rep (COR) was "IR" -- Institutional Rep.
        My father was one when I was a Scout, and he took training for
        the position at the time. This was in the late 50's or early 60's.

        I have a lot of his old training material from that time. While
        it's amazing how much has changed in the program, it's also amazing
        how much really hasn't changed -- that untrained leaders are _still_
        doing _WRONG_.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        District Committee Member at Large
        -- Stephen R. Covey