(Boy Scout Leader) Once Trained, Always Trained ???

  • BubbaGump
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 30, 2011
      hello - my first post. Be gentle and yes i have searched the previous
      messages with no success.
      Ok so here's the situation - I am the new Training Chair for the Troop -
      first one in many years - no records at all (thank goodness for online
      training validation).
      I want to know which of the unit leaders are "Trained". Actually what I
      really want to know is which leaders do the District / Council /
      National consider to be trained. I have contacted the District Training
      Chair and the DE asking for a "Unit Training Report" and they'll "get
      back to me".
      Sure I can collect the training records from online, apply the current
      required training rules to them and figure it out; but it ain't that
      easy.
      I have a SM and ASMs (SAs) that have been in this troop since before my
      son was born. Depending on which one you're talking about they've
      either taken Wood Badge or Scoutmastership Fundamentals.
      I have two questions:
      1 - Where/what/who makes the "Trained" determination ? I suspect
      there's currently some software somewhere that has some complex
      algorithm that makes that determination or there's a "trained" field in
      their ScoutNet record that someone can check - i don't really know just
      hypothesizing. I want to know this so I can get my data from there/that
      person.
      2 - Is a Boy Scout Unit Leader, once considered "Trained", always
      trained (unless he changes positions and not counting Youth Protection)
      ?
      Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post !
      Randy UnderwoodTroop 190 - Easton, MD

    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 4, 2011
        Michael Crothers wrote:

        > When did BSA start Charter Rep training?

        The old name for a Charter Rep (COR) was "IR" -- Institutional Rep.
        My father was one when I was a Scout, and he took training for
        the position at the time. This was in the late 50's or early 60's.

        I have a lot of his old training material from that time. While
        it's amazing how much has changed in the program, it's also amazing
        how much really hasn't changed -- that untrained leaders are _still_
        doing _WRONG_.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        District Committee Member at Large
        -- Stephen R. Covey