Various Training Threads

  • Keith Tilley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2001
      I think some of us might be over-thinking the subject of how to "interpret"
      various aspects of the new training program. While I agree that any lack of
      clarity or consistency should be corrected, I don't see why so many Councils
      apparently feel the need to customize or personalize the curriculum - why
      not just teach what's in the book?

      I can certainly understand the need to make adjustments because of staffing
      problems, inadequate facilities, and other local challenges. We do what we
      have to do. But I also accept the fact that these courses were designed by
      extremely knowledgeable volunteer Scouters, and I trust their judgment. For
      example, I think there are several different outdoor skills courses because
      there are several different audiences, each with a different set of
      requirements. We don't have to pass judgment on which course is "higher
      level" than another - we just have to accept the guidance we're getting that
      each course plays its role in the continuum of training.

      Keith Tilley
      Cub Scout Training Chairman
      Rip Van Winkle Council, NY