Re: [Scouter_T] Re: What's Changed?

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
      A couple of points that I forgot to make:

      1. We have departed significantly from the scope of the original
      question Bill asked, which was what has changed enough to make an
      "old timer" need to retake the course.

      2. It may be that in our rush to try to get 100% trained leaders,
      that somewhere along the line we're skimping on what the training
      really should cover.

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • tvcubtrainers
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2011
        Hello all,

        Having taken a well-run IOLS course last year and now a Troop Guide for a course this year, I'd like to offer the following:

        1. IOLS is indeed about teaching others to teach the Tenderfoot to First Class skills. However, it is also about teaching the patrol method and how to interact with the boys. An important part of the course is the experience of being in a patrol and working with the group dynamics of such. As such, leadership is about doing your best and leading from the front. What kind of an example is a leader setting if they say, Heck no... I know all this and don't need any more training. I'm not a fan of taking training for training's sake but if a leader hasn't taken the most recent course, I'd hope that they'd consider taking it if nothing else but to get the experience and the fun that a weekend with other like-minded leaders will get. This isn't basic training like boot camp in the army, it's leadership training done in an experiential way that can be really positive on us to help the youth we have the privilege to serve.

        2. I've taken the course with Eagle Scouts. They actually got a lot out of the course from the experience with the older men and women who may have kids in the program. They were able to hear about the adult part of scouting which helped them to prepare for their transition from youth leadership to adult leadership. The two Eagle scouts that went through the program were very glad they did it for this reason even though they were very skilled in "technicals" already.

        3. The best leader should learn to be a follower first. Or be reminded of what it is to be a follower every so often. This is a great opportunity for those are experienced who really want to be the
        best leaders possible to be reminded about what it is like to be a youth and to share their experience with others through the course as well. Just the time around the campfire and telling "stories" can be a great help to new and experienced leaders alike. Servant leadership.

        Thanks for allowing me to share my experiences and thoughts here. I hope they will help some to make their decisions for the benefit of the scouts.

        Phil Weiss
        ADC, Twin Valley District
        WB3-28-10