Re: [Scouter_T] Re: What's Changed?

  • David Wildschuetz
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
      >>>Using logic of why bother what's the point of renewing CPR?

      Look at it this way.  Pretend you are paramedic.  You use CPR once or twice a
      week.  You attend staff meetings once a month, where minor changes to technique
      might be brought up once or twice a year.  Now after 10 years of doing
      this, your boss tells you you need to go to a training class to learn how to do
      CPR .  We're not talking about a refresher course.  This is the same course that
      will be attended by people who have never been taught how to do this.  You can't
      skip items that an experienced medic would know because the newbies have no
      idea.

      Now, you want to send a Scoutmaster (or ASM) with 5 years service (or 10 years
      even) back through the entire course on how to do the job he's been doing for
      the past 5 (or 10) years, and attended 80 to 90% of all roundtables.  Do you
      also send him to OLS when he's been camping nearly every month for those 5 to 10
      years?

      And speaking of OLS, why should new leaders who are 18 year olds that just
      transitioned from youth to adult be required to take OLS after living it for the
      past 7 years?  I can see the SM/ASM specific training to some degree, but you
      want to teach an Eagle Scout "how to camp"?  Really?

      David

    • Ed Mitchell
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
        <Snip>

        but you want to teach an Eagle Scout "how to camp"? Really?
        <snip>

        I have been the course director for the past four District IOLS courses.
        This is not about teaching adults or former scouts how to camp, it is about
        putting everyone on the same page. In their skills and to remind them what
        is allowed at a BSA camp, and what is not. I am a foster parent, I am
        required by law to report any abuse of children I am aware of, I must stay
        up on continuing education as a foster parent to keep my license, yet I
        cannot give BSA my Forster Parent License to satisfy my YPT. Come to think
        of it Doctors. Lawyers, Accountants, EMTs.they all have to do so many hours
        of continuing education every year. Are you going to tell me that you are
        going to tell these professionals they have to continue to keep their skills
        sharp? Really?

        Yours in Scouting

        Ed Mitchell

        Scoutmaster Troop 1508

        Committee Chair Pack 4508

        Member of the District Training Team

        I used to be a Bobwhite (WE1-609-1-10)

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
          Continuing education is not the same thing as re-taking the same course.  And,
          would you NOT consider roundtables a form of conrtinuing education?  If not, why
          do we keep going?  Just to hang out with other leaders from the district?

          Maybe you teach the class differently than what I have seen.  However, I re-took
          the SM/ASM specific last year because I was told I had to, and there was very
          little new information.  Yes, it was different, but most if not all the
          differences came out either from emailings, roundtable, or from info found on
          the internet.

          Of course 6 months later they decided that "If you've had training since 1995,
          re-training was not necessary".

          I'm not against training.  I've taken and re-taken many courses.   I'm just not
          for a full day session to learn the same thing that can be learned in a 30
          minute roundtable session.

          David

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
            If you are only doing a full day session, I would say you are already
            getting a break, the course outline calls for Friday to Sunday.

            If you feel you already know all the material, why not volunteer to staff,
            then you can get credit for taking it and share your knowledge with those
            that do not know the information.

            I would rather have someone take the class that does not need the
            information, then to have someone not take the class that does, after all
            every scout deserves a trained leader.

            Some people think they know it all because they are outdoorsmen however,
            what they know maybe useless to a scout trying to earn advancement in a
            scouting program.

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
              Really. IOLS doesn't teach "how to camp". It teaches adult leaders how to teach the outdoor skills Tenderfoot thru First Class to youth. If you didn't get that from your course, maybe retake it and see what you missed last time.

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Wildschuetz <dwildschuetz@...> wrote:

              > Look at it this way.  Pretend you are paramedic.  You use CPR once or twice a
              > week.  You attend staff meetings once a month, where minor changes to technique
              > might be brought up once or twice a year.  Now after 10 years of doing
              > this, your boss tells you you need to go to a training class to learn how to do
              > CPR .  We're not talking about a refresher course.  This is the same course that
              > will be attended by people who have never been taught how to do this.  You can't
              > skip items that an experienced medic would know because the newbies have no
              > idea.
              >
              > Now, you want to send a Scoutmaster (or ASM) with 5 years service (or 10 years
              > even) back through the entire course on how to do the job he's been doing for
              > the past 5 (or 10) years, and attended 80 to 90% of all roundtables.  Do you
              > also send him to OLS when he's been camping nearly every month for those 5 to 10
              > years?
              >

              > And speaking of OLS, why should new leaders who are 18 year olds that just
              > transitioned from youth to adult be required to take OLS after living it for the
              > past 7 years?  I can see the SM/ASM specific training to some degree, but you
              > want to teach an Eagle Scout "how to camp"?  Really?
              >

              > David

            • Gerry
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
                From time to time, the syllabus changes. It might NOT be the same course, depending on the time frame. There have been recent changes in many of the courses. We taught the old Cub Scout Position Specifics for 10+ years - that went WAY too long before a refresh.

                BTW, Roundtable is actually Commissioner Service in a group setting, not a training event.

              • ChristopherCPearson@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
                  I've been waiting for someone to point that out :)

                  Walking Softly,
                  Chris Pearson
                  Trainer & Consultant
                  Pearson Outdoor Education
                  206-550-3579

                  On Mar 3, 2011, at 6:10 PM, "Gerry" <gerrymoon32817@...> wrote:

                  > Really. IOLS doesn't teach "how to camp". It teaches adult leaders
                  > how to teach the outdoor skills Tenderfoot thru First Class to
                  > youth. If you didn't get that from your course, maybe retake it and
                  > see what you missed last time.
                  >
                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Wildschuetz

                  > > Look at it this way. Pretend you are paramedic. You use CPR once
                  > or twice a
                  > > week. You attend staff meetings once a month, where minor changes
                  > to technique
                  > > might be brought up once or twice a year. Now after 10 years of
                  > doing
                  > > this, your boss tells you you need to go to a training class to
                  > learn how to do
                  > > CPR . We're not talking about a refresher course. This is the
                  > same course that
                  > > will be attended by people who have never been taught how to do
                  > this. You can't
                  > > skip items that an experienced medic would know because the
                  > newbies have no
                  > > idea.
                  > >
                  > > Now, you want to send a Scoutmaster (or ASM) with 5 years service
                  > (or 10 years
                  > > even) back through the entire course on how to do the job he's
                  > been doing for
                  > > the past 5 (or 10) years, and attended 80 to 90% of all
                  > roundtables. Do you
                  > > also send him to OLS when he's been camping nearly every month for
                  > those 5 to 10
                  > > years?
                  > >

                  > > And speaking of OLS, why should new leaders who are 18 year olds
                  > that just
                  > > transitioned from youth to adult be required to take OLS after
                  > living it for the
                  > > past 7 years? I can see the SM/ASM specific training to some
                  > degree, but you
                  > > want to teach an Eagle Scout "how to camp"? Really?
                  > >

                  > > David

                • David Wildschuetz
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
                    Okay....I'll admit that I over-simplified what is learned in IOLS, but really a
                    lot of what I recall of it is used by Scouts all the time. Are you saying that
                    an 18 year old Eagle Scout has to be taught how to teach outdoor skills?

                    Why is it every time I ask this question, all I get is nit-picked for some
                    peripheral comment I make.

                    ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
                        Okay...I can see your point if IOLS teaches these new leaders *how* to teach.
                        But, that's not been my experience. Usually it's just teaching the skills, and
                        seems to be targeted towards adults new to Scouting.

                        Maybe things have changed. I may just take up the earlier suggestion and work
                        staff on it this fall.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
                          David Wildschuetz wrote:

                          > Okay....I'll admit that I over-simplified what is learned in
                          > IOLS, but really a lot of what I recall of it is used by Scouts
                          > all the time. Are you saying that an 18 year old Eagle Scout has
                          > to be taught how to teach outdoor skills?

                          > Why is it every time I ask this question, all I get is nit-picked
                          > for some peripheral comment I make.

                          and in a later post;

                          > Okay...I can see your point if IOLS teaches these new leaders
                          > *how* to teach. But, that's not been my experience. Usually it's
                          > just teaching the skills, and seems to be targeted towards adults
                          > new to Scouting.
                          >
                          > Maybe things have changed. I may just take up the earlier
                          > suggestion and work staff on it this fall.

                          I can see both sides of this issue. But in answer to the
                          question...

                          I have been asked by some Scouters why they need the basic position
                          specific training when they were a Scout from 11 to 18 years old.
                          I felt the same way when I first became a leader -- at least until
                          I attended my first training.

                          The parts of the program that a boy sees as a Scout are those
                          parts that are intended to help him learn the skills necessary to
                          succeed in life (at least that's the ideal), and advance as a
                          Scout. He sees the campouts, the camporees, the Troop meetings,
                          and looks on them as "the way things work". I.e., it's all "fun".

                          What the boy doesn't see are the many hours of work behind the
                          scenes by the Troop Committee, and the Troop leaders, to make the
                          program fun and successful. These are the things that the brand
                          new Eagle who just crossed over to be an adult ASM (or SA) needs
                          to be taught.

                          When these aren't taught in the training, it fails both the
                          trainee and the trainer, as well as the program.

                          What helps aggravate the problem is what some point out -- that
                          the older Scouters go to the training and pretty much don't learn
                          much. In many cases, they feel, and not too wrongly, that they've
                          wasted their time.

                          To relate it to a trade, as others have done, is not really all
                          that helpful, because of the differences between trades/professions
                          and the BSA program. I could say that it's like an Electrician
                          keeping up on the latest codes, but what does that really say?
                          All the building codes do is make sure that the basics are done to
                          a certain standard. Maybe that's what we need to consider in our
                          training.

                          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                          District Committee Member at Large
                          -- Stephen R. Covey
                        • Scouter Chuck
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 3, 2011
                            A couple of points that I forgot to make:

                            1. We have departed significantly from the scope of the original
                            question Bill asked, which was what has changed enough to make an
                            "old timer" need to retake the course.

                            2. It may be that in our rush to try to get 100% trained leaders,
                            that somewhere along the line we're skimping on what the training
                            really should cover.

                            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                            District Committee Member at Large
                            -- Stephen R. Covey
                          • tvcubtrainers
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2011
                              Hello all,

                              Having taken a well-run IOLS course last year and now a Troop Guide for a course this year, I'd like to offer the following:

                              1. IOLS is indeed about teaching others to teach the Tenderfoot to First Class skills. However, it is also about teaching the patrol method and how to interact with the boys. An important part of the course is the experience of being in a patrol and working with the group dynamics of such. As such, leadership is about doing your best and leading from the front. What kind of an example is a leader setting if they say, Heck no... I know all this and don't need any more training. I'm not a fan of taking training for training's sake but if a leader hasn't taken the most recent course, I'd hope that they'd consider taking it if nothing else but to get the experience and the fun that a weekend with other like-minded leaders will get. This isn't basic training like boot camp in the army, it's leadership training done in an experiential way that can be really positive on us to help the youth we have the privilege to serve.

                              2. I've taken the course with Eagle Scouts. They actually got a lot out of the course from the experience with the older men and women who may have kids in the program. They were able to hear about the adult part of scouting which helped them to prepare for their transition from youth leadership to adult leadership. The two Eagle scouts that went through the program were very glad they did it for this reason even though they were very skilled in "technicals" already.

                              3. The best leader should learn to be a follower first. Or be reminded of what it is to be a follower every so often. This is a great opportunity for those are experienced who really want to be the
                              best leaders possible to be reminded about what it is like to be a youth and to share their experience with others through the course as well. Just the time around the campfire and telling "stories" can be a great help to new and experienced leaders alike. Servant leadership.

                              Thanks for allowing me to share my experiences and thoughts here. I hope they will help some to make their decisions for the benefit of the scouts.

                              Phil Weiss
                              ADC, Twin Valley District
                              WB3-28-10