Re: New Materials on all Programs

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 20 1:18 AM
      Wendell,

      We are also in the process of defining our District Calendar for next
      year. We have to turn ours in next Wednesday (2/28). What I suggested
      to our District Training Chairman was to create a schedule that gave us
      the most flexibility. We don't put times & locations on our calendar,
      just the dates. So I came up with a schedule that planned Cub Scout
      Leader Basic Training and the first two parts of Scoutmaster
      Fundamentals on the same dates. Then I added Fall and Spring dates for
      BALOO (I have this syllabus). It is easier for us to add dates than
      change or cancel dates on our calendar. Since our Cub Basic and SMF
      staffs do not have any common members, this should not be a problem.

      Then, if our Council is ready to offer the new program, we just change
      the names and combine the staffs to offer the new Basic Training and
      Position Specific Training in place of Cub Basic and SMF I & II. SMF
      III we will replace on th schedule with the new Outdoor Leader Skills
      course (we already have a copy of this syllabus).

      Instead of having one Boy Scout and one Cub Scout Training Chair, we
      are looking to have a coordinator for each of the training courses.
      The Coordinators would then draw on the rest of the Committee or other
      trainers as needed to staff each course.

      I am not sure why your Dist. Training Chair does not understand how the
      courses fit together. All leaders are to complete Fast
      Start/Assessment Training, followed by Basic Leader Training, followed
      by Position Specific Training, leading to the 21st Century Wood Badge.
      Other Supplemental Training is provided like Youth Protection, BALOO,
      Outdoor Leader Skills, Safety-Afloat, and the Trainer Development
      Conference are also provided.

      I recommend that you tell your Training Chair to take a BIG breath,
      talk to your Council Training Chair about any concerns, be prepared for
      new opportunities. I personally have been excited about the changes
      ever since I attended Akela Calls last Summer.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken Todd, Cub RTC
      & CSLBT Staff Member
      NE-CS-59 Beaver

      PS - It is my understanding that by 1/1/2002 the new training program
      should be fully in place in each Council.

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 20 3:56 AM
        From: "Ken Todd" <krtodd@...>

        >It is easier for us to add dates than
        > change or cancel dates on our calendar.

        We are also developing our 2001-2002 program calendar. What I did for
        training was to put a "Training Day" on the calendar, on the second
        Saturday, every other month. I can also add dates later to the training
        schedule, they just won't appear on the calendar. I promote all training
        courses at Roundtable.

        --------
        Leslie Herman
        http://powwow-online.com
        CubBobwhite (EC-CS-19)
        ScoutBuffalo (C-33-98)
        Edison District Training Chairman
        Blue Water Council - Port Huron, Michigan
      • Rick Rambo
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 20 6:51 AM
          Ken Wrote:
          I am not sure why your Dist. Training Chair does not understand how the
          courses fit together. All leaders are to complete Fast
          Start/Assessment Training, followed by Basic Leader Training, followed
          by Position Specific Training, leading to the 21st Century Wood Badge.
          Other Supplemental Training is provided like Youth Protection, BALOO,
          Outdoor Leader Skills, Safety-Afloat, and the Trainer Development
          Conference are also provided.

          I have made a flow chart that explains the training flow pretty well, I will
          post it to the group area tonight. For now it is at:
          http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif
          <http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif>

          Rick

          **********
          America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
          **********
          Join the Wy-East District e-mail list! Send a blank e-mail to:
          Wy-East-subscribe@... <mailto:Wy-East-subscribe@...>
          **********
          Rick Rambo
          Committee Member, T-89, Wy-East District, Cascade Pacific Council; Training
          Chairman for Wy-East District; Chairman, CPC 1st Class Recognition events
          1st Class Recognition Page:
          http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/firstclass.html
          <http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/firstclass.html>
          or: http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/award/1stclass.htm
          <http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/award/1stclass.htm>
          Roundtable Songs: http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/roundtable.html
          <http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/roundtable.html>
          Assistant Quartermaster, WEM-492-00
          e-mail: mailto:rickram@... <mailto:rickram@...>
          FAX: (561) 673-0437
          http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
          <http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/>
          http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
          AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

          On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:14:36 -0800, Tom Bingaman wrote:

          Our District Training Chair
          has said that if we don't have at least the course lengths, required
          resources and an overview of how each of the courses tie together
          before we start calendar planning (either March or April) she is going
          to recommend that we do the planning based on the OLD courses. I hate
          the idea of blowing off the new courses for a whole year but our
          district "policy" is that the calendar is engraved in stone - so it's
          either in there or we don't do it.

          Wendell Brown
          Scouting The Net -- http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
          A Mini-Yahoo for the scouting community.

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1312152.2904070.1252795/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
          162:N/A=590944/R=1/*http://domains.yahoo.com/>

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1312152.2904070.1252795/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
          162:N/A=590944/R=2/*http://domains.yahoo.com/>
          www.

        • Wendell Brown
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 20 7:37 AM
            On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:51:33 -0800, Rick Rambo wrote:

            >I am not sure why your Dist. Training Chair does not understand how the
            >courses fit together.

            Primarily, because we haven't seen anything official that says
            "Scoutmasters need to take the following courses to be trained: Course
            A for z hours; Course B for y hours and Course Q for R hours".

            >All leaders are to complete Fast
            >Start/Assessment Training, followed by Basic Leader Training, followed
            >by Position Specific Training, leading to the 21st Century Wood Badge.
            >Other Supplemental Training is provided like Youth Protection, BALOO,
            >Outdoor Leader Skills, Safety-Afloat, and the Trainer Development
            >Conference are also provided.

            Cool chart. But I have a few questions:

            1) Where did you get the chart or if you made it the info in it?

            2) Where did the times for "New Leader Essentials" and "Program
            Specific" come from? Are these the official names for the courses?

            3) Is "Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills" required as part of the
            "Trained" strip for any position, if so which one or ones?

            4) What is "Advanced Outdoor Skills Instruction"?

            Wendell Brown
            Scouting The Net -- http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
            A Mini-Yahoo for the scouting community.
          • Joseph Tabrisky
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 20 12:50 PM
              Wendell Brown wrote:

              > Cool chart. But I have a few questions:
              >
              > 1) Where did you get the chart or if you made it the info in it?

              I agree with Wendell. You put together a spectacular chart.
              Interestingly, I was working on a similar chart and had very much the same
              organization you have on your Chart based upon what I have learned through
              attendees at Philmont, my conversations with CS Division at National,
              professionals at my council and others. BTW, what program did you use to
              create your chart?

              > 2) Where did the times for "New Leader Essentials" and "Program Specific"
              > come from? Are these the official names for the courses?

              Wendell, the time for New Leader Essentials came from Philmont last year. I
              also have received further confirmation from TDC and it is being widely
              reported as 1 1/2 hours in length. The Cub Scout Program specific time
              frame also has been widely reported consistent with Rick's chart. I also
              heard at TDC this weekend that the new SMF will be 7 1/2 hours in length.
              Can anyone else confirm that time frame?

              It is my understanding that National is trying to get program specific
              training down to 5 hours for all areas.

              Has anyone else heard about any of the other basics?

              > 3) Is "Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills" required as part of the
              > "Trained" strip for any position, if so which one or ones?

              I don't know the answer to this question. I do understand that any person
              who is in charge of outdoor program for BS, Varsity or Venturing must take
              the course.

              > 4) What is "Advanced Outdoor Skills Instruction"?

              Yes Rick, what is this course? This is the first I have heard of this
              one. Do you mean Powderhorn?

              Joe Tabrisky
              District Training Chairman
              Pacifica District
              Los Angeles Area Council
            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 20 3:27 PM
                Rick,
                Beautiful chart, but...in a conversation with John Alline, Boy Scout
                training person at national, I learned that Boy Scout committee members
                need only do the Fast Start, Common 90 Minutes, and Troop Committee
                Traioning to be fully trained...the do NOT need Basic Scout Leader
                Training.

                Dave

                Rick Rambo wrote:
                > I have made a flow chart that explains the training flow pretty well, I will
                > post it to the group area tonight. For now it is at:
                > http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif
                > <http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif>
                >
                > Rick

                To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
                on the mailto: address below

                Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                Greenland, NH 03840
                Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                possit materiari?
              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 20 3:44 PM
                  In a phone conversation with John Alline, the Boy Scout Training guy in
                  Texas, he revealed that the Boy Scout Committee critters need only do
                  Fast Start, the 90 Minute Common Elements, and the Committee Training
                  course to be considered trained. On the one hand this reduces the time
                  spent to around one day or two evenings, on the other hand a trained
                  committee member can no longer take a Scoutmaster's place should s/he
                  move on, without additional training...Boy Scout Leader Training and
                  Outdoor Leadership Skills.

                  This goes back to the idea expressed in the picture of the four circles
                  of training, where the learner gets one circle accomplished and goes
                  back to use this material, then as needed, s/he accomplishes a second
                  circle/unit of training, and again, goes back to use it, untill finally
                  s/he had completed Wood Badge, and is considered fully trained in that
                  program...right about the time the last child goes up to the next
                  program. Well, at least s/he doesn't need to repeat Fast Start, The 90
                  Minute Common Elements, or Wood Badge.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 20 6:33 PM
                    Wendell Brown wrote:

                    Cool chart. But I have a few questions:

                    1) Where did you get the chart or if you made it the info in it?

                    Our Council (Cascade Pacific - Portland, Oregon) Training committee covered
                    this extensively in out last meeting for District Trainers. The information
                    came from what they have "officially" been told such as the New Leader
                    Essentials will be a 90 minute course that all leaders attend it is NOT
                    program specific. Cub Basic is supposed to be four hours additional, BALOO I
                    believe is 6 hours. Additionally, I heard from Mark Stolowitcz (not sure of
                    the spelling) a National Committee Member and VERY involved ( I can't
                    remember his exact position) in the new WB program that the BS basic is
                    supposed to be 13 hours but I am not sure how it will be divided.

                    And I assume by now most trainers have heard that the new WB is set up as
                    two three day weekends with an option for a six day week.

                    2) Where did the times for "New Leader Essentials" and "Program Specific"
                    come from? Are these the official names for the courses?

                    New leader essentials to my understanding is what this will be called
                    "Program Specific" is a descriptive term denoting Cub, Scout, Venture,
                    Varsity.

                    3) Is "Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills" required as part of the
                    "Trained" strip for any position, if so which one or ones?

                    Yes. For sure the SM and ASM positions. I have heard conflicting reports
                    about it's being required for Webelos Leaders.

                    4) What is "Advanced Outdoor Skills Instruction"?

                    OSI or Outdoor Skills Institute is a course that has been offered in our
                    council for I think 6 or 7 years now, it was my understanding that it would
                    be spread to other councils. It is sort of like Pow Wow on Steroids for BS
                    leaders. (how's that!) It is a place that Adult leaders can go to learn in
                    depth skills in Dutch oven cooking, pioneering, white water, etc. without
                    having to worry about being embarrassed at their lack of knowledge. The
                    Biggest reason I put that box an the chart is that there is concern over
                    possible confusion between OSI and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills .

                    The other course I left off the bottom of the chart that should be there is
                    the Commissioners' College. There has been a real push around here to get
                    more "non Commissioners" to attend - Possibly as a back door way of
                    recruiting.

                    Rick
                    **********

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 20 7:05 PM
                      Joe

                      I used a program called: Chartist their web site is http://www.novagraph.com
                      but then I did a screen capture and added the multi-color lines and frames
                      in paint shop pro.

                      **********

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 20 7:39 PM
                        Dave Wrote:
                        I learned that Boy Scout committee members need only do the Fast Start,
                        Common 90 Minutes, and Troop Committee Traioning to be fully trained...the
                        do NOT need Basic Scout Leader Training.

                        Yes that is true. When I place the chart on the group site later I will put
                        one that has been marked to reflect that – it was just an oversight.
                        Rick

                        **********

                        Rick Rambo wrote:
                        > I have made a flow chart that explains the training flow pretty well, I
                        will
                        > post it to the group area tonight. For now it is at:
                        > http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif
                        > < http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif>
                        >
                        > Rick

                        To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or
                        click
                        on the mailto: address below

                        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                        164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                        Greenland, NH 03840
                        Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                        possit materiari?

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1312152.2904070.1252795/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
                        162:N/A=572117/R=1/*http://domains.yahoo.com>

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1312152.2904070.1252795/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
                        162:N/A=572117/R=2/*http://domains.yahoo.com>
                        www. .com

                      • Dave Loomis
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 26 9:26 AM
                          Rick,
                          I would suggest that the attached chart is a bit more representative of
                          how training will shape up. First, each program area will still have
                          its own Fast Start, and YPT - this may vary by program. Secondly, Troop
                          Committee Orientation is all the additional training required for these
                          positions, not additional training for these positions. Additionally, it
                          is my understanding that Adult Outdoor Leader Skills will be required
                          for all Boy Scout Leaders, and that either BSLT or VLT is required for
                          Powder Horn( I have shown VLT as an alternate prerequisite here as
                          well.)

                          Dave

                          Rick Rambo wrote:

                          > I have made a flow chart that explains the training flow pretty well, I will
                          > post it to the group area tonight. For now it is at:
                          > http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif
                          > <http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif>
                          >
                          > Rick

                          To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
                          on the mailto: address below

                          Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                          164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                          Greenland, NH 03840
                          Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                          possit materiari?

                        • Vernon Podlasek
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 26 11:22 AM
                            Dave the list does not forward attachments could kindly forward one. It
                            sounds as though we are all refining the process and any additional input
                            would be appreciated. Thanks

                            YiS
                            Vernon Podlasek

                            On 2/26/01 11:26 AMDave Loomis (dloomis@...) eloquently
                            inscribed:

                            > Rick,
                            > I would suggest that the attached chart is a bit more representative of
                            > how training will shape up. First, each program area will still have
                            > its own Fast Start, and YPT - this may vary by program. Secondly, Troop
                            > Committee Orientation is all the additional training required for these
                            > positions, not additional training for these positions. Additionally, it
                            > is my understanding that Adult Outdoor Leader Skills will be required
                            > for all Boy Scout Leaders, and that either BSLT or VLT is required for
                            > Powder Horn( I have shown VLT as an alternate prerequisite here as
                            > well.)
                            >
                            > Dave
                            >
                            > Rick Rambo wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I have made a flow chart that explains the training flow pretty well, I will
                            >> post it to the group area tonight. For now it is at:
                            >> http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif
                            >> <http://rickram.s5.com/images/Training%20Chart.gif>
                            >>
                            >> Rick
                            >>

                            > To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
                            > on the mailto: address below
                            >
                            > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                            > 164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                            > Greenland, NH 03840
                            > Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                            > possit materiari?

                          • Dave Loomis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 26 9:19 PM
                              Wendell Brown was kind enough to e-mail me saying that he has converted
                              the file into a PDF and uploaded it to the files
                              area (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t/files/) as ttrct.pdf, as I
                              was currently suffering an attack of terminal stupidity. These occur
                              from time to time, but fortunately I still have friends who help me set
                              my head on straight again. Thanks, Wendell.

                              Dave

                            • bmarks@sc.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 27 5:48 AM
                                The .pdf file looks really good and helps depict graphically the new
                                programs. I really like the chart and hope to us it this even during
                                our Training Committee meeting.

                                Does this come straight out rev. E of the "Training Committee Guide"?

                                I'd appreciate your allowing me to toss out a few thoughts:

                                1. The diagram indicates Troop Committee members can never be fully
                                training.

                                2. I really like the idea of showing when a person is considered
                                fully trained. What if the line went directly through each box,
                                which satisfies fully trained requirements.

                                3. The hatch color on the boxes makes it difficult to read and prints
                                gray.

                                Just some thoughts for consideration.

                                Humbly in the Scouting spirit
                                Barry
                                Training Chair
                                Indian Waters Council - Columbia, SC
                              • Dave Loomis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 27 7:32 AM
                                  Nope, AFAIK, the "E" revision hasn't been published, but it is a best
                                  SWAG of what will happen based on what we have been given so far.

                                  That's an error on my part - Troop Committee Members are trained after
                                  they complete the Committee Training - which should be down by BALOO and
                                  OWL; but TCT does NOT ready them for Wood Badge.

                                  I originally did this in Word, and when it was converted to PDF it got
                                  grainy. My intent was to make it modifyable be others.

                                  Dave

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 27 7:51 AM
                                    On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:32:58 -0500, Dave Loomis wrote:

                                    >I originally did this in Word, and when it was converted to PDF it got
                                    >grainy. My intent was to make it modifyable be others.

                                    I uploaded the Word version to the files area also.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 27 7:58 AM
                                      Dave great flow chart...is it possible for you to upload the original word
                                      document. I believe this make it easier on the eyes (for printing purposes).

                                      YiS
                                      Vernon

                                      On 2/27/01 9:32 AMDave Loomis (dloomis@...) eloquently
                                      inscribed:

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 27 1:59 PM
                                        Wendell did this today.

                                        Dave

                                        Vernon Podlasek wrote:

                                        > Dave great flow chart...is it possible for you to upload the original word
                                        > document. I believe this make it easier on the eyes (for printing purposes).
                                        >
                                        > YiS
                                        > Vernon

                                        To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
                                        on the mailto: address below

                                        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                                        164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                                        Greenland, NH 03840
                                        Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                                        possit materiari?
                                      • KAY ADAMS
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 27 3:36 PM
                                          n someone hlep me. When ever I click on a link to see files that have been uploaded I get "OPPS the file you requested is not avaliable on the server" What am I doing wrong??

                                          Kay Adams

                                          kayadams@...

                                          Vernon Podlasek wrote:

                                          > Dave the list does not forward attachments could kindly forward one. It
                                          > sounds as though we are all refining the process and any additional input
                                          > would be appreciated. Thanks
                                          >
                                          > YiS
                                          > Vernon Podlasek

                                          To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
                                          on the mailto: address below

                                          Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                                          164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                                          Greenland, NH 03840
                                          Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                                          possit materiari?

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          Kay M Adams
                                          kaymadams@...

                                        • Judy Yeager
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 27 8:26 PM
                                            KAY ADAMS wrote: When ever I click on a link to see files that have
                                            been uploaded I get "OPPS the file you requested is not avaliable on the
                                            server"

                                            At that point you need to back up and sign in, look at "My Groups",
                                            click on Scouter_T, click on files and find the one you want.

                                            Hope this helps.

                                            Judy Yeager