Re: IOLS Test Out

  • pjolds
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2011
      David,

      I agree with everything you've said about IOLS. Our training team definitely prefers to put on the full course as outlined in the syllabus. Council, however, has said that other options must be made available and so, whether we like it or not, other options were developed. Believe me, we fought long and hard about the summer camp version of IOLS and we lost that fight. There were just too many volunteers with greater pull and influence than the training team who wanted it, and the executive board saw no reason why they shouldn't have it their way.

      Paula

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Gottshall <gottshalld@...> wrote:

      > While the Test Out option has been available for IOLS for sometime now, there are significant reasons why it should NOT be used.
      >
      > Irrespective to how well it is done, the Test Out provision short changes even the most qualified adult.
      >
      > From the IOLS syllabus.
      >
      > The program structures participation much like a Boy Scout troop from the buddy system to the patrol method, the course uses familiar techniques to help convey the fun and fellowship of Scouting, the knowledge leaders need to fulfill their roles successfully, and to reinforce safety issues. Scouters delight in sharing their personal experiences, and each individual benefits from the interaction and group enthusiasm. Leaders feel reassured knowing that others have the same interests, needs, and concerns in delivering the best possible program to their units.
      >
      > While many believe that outdoor leader skills only include things that are on the check list; camp craft skills. The reason why the course was developed and the training techniques utilized was to provide much, much more ... things that are much more important to both the development of the adult leader and the scouts under their change.
      >
      > - modeling a Boy Scout troop;
      > - modeling the Patrol Method;
      > - adult leader fun and fellowship;
      > - shared experiences; and
      > - group interaction and dynamics.
      >
      > There are several reasons that adult leaders claim to need this option:
      >
      > 1. I don't have time to take the either the weekend course or the two full day course. While most of us have time constraints, you really need to look in the mirror if you can not put side the time "once in your adult scouting career" to take the time to experience and benefit from the full value of the full course.
      >
      > 2. My council does not offer the course when I can take it. With training moving into the required category, both leaders and councils need to work together to provide more opportunities and leveraging the offerings of neighboring councils. Annual planning to develop training calendars is critical to success. Publication and promotion of dates is a must.
      >
      > 3. I know all about camp craft skills. See above, Marian's comments, and the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
      >
      > Adult leaders are not the only party in this. District and council training committees are also complicit. Too few trainers, too few courses ... names on organization charts that are place holders ... very little rubber on the tires ... not much traction.
      >
      > So ... we have the Weekend course, Two Full Day course, Test Out option, and personal mentoring.
      >

      > Just because it is allowed does not make it best or even good ... just acceptable.
      >
      > Is that really good enough?
      >
      > Dave Gottshall

    • artdukovic
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 7, 2011
        Ok all, for IOLS "intent" if you go to:

        www.bacarrowhead.org/.../IntroductionToOutdoorLeaderSkills.pdf

        the entire IOLS syllabus is there but the "introduction" (which I've posted) clearly states the intent of IOLS; now do know that National was working on a "generic" Outdoor Leader to include Cub Scouts, but they backed off on that in the spring. Hope this helps??