Re: IOLS Test Out

  • pjolds
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2011
      Greetings!

      I have just recently joined the group and thought I would respond to this topic. But first, let me introduce myself.

      I am Paula Ball, the training chair for the Northwest District of Erie Shores Council in Toledo, Ohio. I have been involved with scouts since my son was a Tiger Cub 8 years ago. Like everyone else here, I have held various positions over the years including not only District Training Chair, but various Pack positions as well as Cub Roundtable Chair and University of Scouting Chair for the last 6 years and counting...

      Now, in response to the topic...

      In Erie Shores Council we have two systems in place for the test-out option.

      System 1 is a series of workstations at Summer Camp similar to what Marian describes for Boston Minuteman Council.

      Sytem 2 is for those leaders who cannot go to Summer Camp or cannot find the time to go through the workstations at Summer Camp. It is very similar to the merit badge concept. There is an IOLS Blue Card that predisplays all of the IOLS skills. Any SM or ASM wanting to test out can obtain an IOLS card and list of examiners from their training chair and then make arrangements to meet with the examiners at their leasure to go over the various skills. We have multiple examiners who are considered experts in the different skill areas who work with the SM/ASM.

      As with Marian's scenario, if the SM/ASM can satisfactorily demonstrate that they know and can teach a skill the examiner signs off on whichever section is being tested. If they don't feel that the individual knows the skill well enough to teach it then they work with them and retest at a later date. Once all of the sections have been signed off by the various examiners, the IOLS Blue Card is turned in to the Disitrct Training Chair who then submits a report to the Council Registrar.

      I have to tell you that while we have plenty of leaders who take advantage of the Summer Camp option, we have had no leaders complete the second option. It is not that they have failed it, but that they won't even try it. Most have taken the stance that a Scout is trustworthy and we should just believe them when they tell us that they know it all.

      Paula Ball
      NW District Training Chair
      Erie Shores Council
    • artdukovic
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 7, 2011
        Ok all, for IOLS "intent" if you go to:

        www.bacarrowhead.org/.../IntroductionToOutdoorLeaderSkills.pdf

        the entire IOLS syllabus is there but the "introduction" (which I've posted) clearly states the intent of IOLS; now do know that National was working on a "generic" Outdoor Leader to include Cub Scouts, but they backed off on that in the spring. Hope this helps??