Hello to the Group

  • fiercebobwhite
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm new to the group and the welcome e-mail says we should introduce ourselves.

      I am Gary Mitchell, Training Chairman of the Northern Rivers District in the Golden Empire Council, Northern California. I have been in Scouting as an adult since 1995. I am pretty much a training junkie, having been trained in most every position in BSA except Sea Scouting and Exploring, and I have facilitated training at every program level except the aforementioned two. I have also served as a NYLT Course Director in 2010 with the new syllabus, and have served on Wood Badge staff twice. I used to be a Bobwhite. I have directed Trainer's EDGE for the Council, and also served on the WR Area III Training Chair Conference staff in 2010. I concurrently serve as Venturing Roundtable Commissioner in the District. Because it is closely aligned with training, I don't really view that as a seperate job, although it has a different position patch. I serve as an Institutional Head/Executive Officer in my home unit, and am active as Crew Committee Chair at the unit level.

      I am passionate about Scouting and Venturing, and about all things training. I have a good ol' Antelope wife who is a Den Leader, a daughter who is 9, and a son 5 who will be a Tiger Cub in June. I look forward to participating in this group....... as time permits.

      Gary M.
      Corning,CA
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2011
        Dear Scout Training Colleagues:

        We are seeking your help in alerting local council and district training chairs to the Philmont Training Center conference, "The Youth Leader Training Continuum." The conference will take place this summer from June 19-25.

        The course description from the PTC website is:

        This course provides an overview of the content and flow for youth leadership training, beginning with unit level Introduction to Leadership Skills courses and moving up through council and national-level leadership courses such as National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT), National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE) and Kodiak. It provides a total understanding of youth training and an outline where each course works in the youth training curriculum. Conferees will gain understanding of where every course fits, how to leverage each of them and how to ensure the best course is available for our youth and our nation. Open to Boy Scout, Varsity, Venturing and Sea Scouting leaders.

        * * *

        During the summer of 2010, we delivered a prototype version of this course and had considerable success helping our participants to emerge from the conference as ambassadors for youth leader training. We will help Scouters learn about the entire continuum of youth leader training available in the BSA and how these elements interact to create the best leadership development program available to young people. Our participants will leave the course as youth training advocates who will return to their home councils, districts, and units prepared to make a difference.

        To accomplish this, we seek your assistance in sharing this information with local council training chairs, and likewise encourage them to share with local council- and district-level Scouters with an interest in youth leader training. We would direct you and interested council and district level Scouters to the MyScouting portal to register for the conference: http://www.myscouting.org

        We would be more than happy to provide more information regarding this course and our goals for our participants.

        In service,

        Pattie Sauer
        Voyageur's Area Council

        Ken King
        Three Fires Council

        Pattie Sauer is a board member in the Voyageur's Area Council (Hermantown, MN). She has been an NYLT course director, a Wood Badge course director, and has held a variety of Council positions. Professionally, Pattie operates LEADERS IN MOTION, a coaching and training business focused on executive leadership.

        Ken King is a Scouter in the Three Fires Council (St. Charles, IL). He has been a JLTC course director, Wood Badge course director, contributed content to the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience and updated Kodiak course syllabi. He has also served as an adult leader with NAYLE during its first two years of implementation. Professionally, Ken is a professor of education, specializing in preparing science teachers.